M1-0w-40 or RotellaT6 in N/A Audi with 100k

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive been using 0w-40 on about 4000 mile interval. Ive been reading up on oil topics and LOTS of people in the audizine forums are using the T6 5w-40 in their car. The thing i havent found much of is any N/A users of that oil. Mostly all the guys that use it are the 2.7t and 1.8t'er.

Would this change be OK for my 105k audi? its a 2001 2.8 v6.

The car needs to topped off about a quart every 2000-2.5k so im also hoping that the thicker t6 will help my oil consumptions.

One extra thing i would like to add which i read and thought was unusual is a T6 user noted that his oil temp was reading higher than it did when he was using the 0w-40. Is this right? my car sits on about 215F and 235F on highways runs.

I thought that the thicker 5weight would keep the oil temp lower. He was not the only one who commented and said he noticed a increase in the oil temp. There was another lad that chipped in and noted the same issue.

Last edited:
Either is a good choice. M1 goes on sale for about $5.50 a quart fairly often though, making it effectively the same price as T6.

I am fully sure that the T6 can be used without question in that application, but as dparm alluded to, the M1 0w40 is a very high quality oil backed by many certs. and can be had reasonably priced. I would go with the M1 if I had the two in front of me.

Originally Posted By: audia6
ive been using 0w-40 on about 4000 mile interval. Ive been reading up on oil topics and LOTS of people in the audizine forums are using the T6 5w-40 in their car. The thing i havent found much of is any N/A users of that oil. Mostly all the guys that use it are the 2.7t and 1.8t'er.

Would this change be OK for my 105k audi? its a 2001 2.8 v6.

The car needs to topped off about a quart every 2000-2.5k so im also hoping that the thicker t6 will help my oil consumptions.

One extra thing i would like to add which i read and thought was unusual is a T6 user noted that his oil temp was reading higher than it did when he was using the 0w-40. Is this right? my car sits on about 215F and 235F on highways runs.

I thought that the thicker 5weight would keep the oil temp lower. He was not the only one who commented and said he noticed a increase in the oil temp. There was another lad that chipped in and noted the same issue.

Well Porsche feels good enough about M1 0W40 to spec it as factory fill for 2 year and 20,000 mile service intervals.

However unless you have an oil dilution (fuel or coolant) problem I fail to see why it would need changed in only 4000 miles.

Last edited:
I was thinking about going 5500-6000 this interval lol. But then I though 6000 would be overkill as it is mostly city driven. What would you suggest is a resonable interval?

I think with a good syn the non-severe service will be OK for city driving, so long as you take it on a longer trip every so often.

I think either would be good, but Id put a slight edge to the M1, as it is more likely carrying the spec that your engine requires.

Your Audi requires an oil that meets the VW502 spec as well as ACEA A3/B4. Mobil One 0w40 meets both and then some. Rotella does not meet either. I have 150k on my A4 Quattro, every mile has been with Mobile One 0w40 with 10k change intervals except the first 30k which I used Amsoil AFL 5w40 which also claims to meet both specs but didnt hold up well for 10k mile changes. Wear results with the AFL were fantastic at 7500k but that was the oils limit in my engine. Wear results with M1 0w40 are outstanding at 10k and I could probably run 15k. But why push it when I am very comfortable with the test results at 10k and remains in grade. I drive VERY aggressively on the highway, my speed is usually 80-95 steady and rpms 4k or higher for 80 miles. The engine still gets perfect oil test results and it runs stronger than ever. I should mention that it is reprogrammed to stage one which gives about 15 lbs of boost and 250 hp/275 torque /145 top speed @ 6500 rpms. great car, dead reliable, blast to drive, still not a squeak in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kbowley
Your Audi requires an oil that meets the VW502 spec as well as ACEA A3/B4. Mobil One 0w40 meets both and then some. Rotella does not meet either. I have 150k on my A4 Quattro, every mile has been with Mobile One 0w40 with 10k change intervals except the first 30k which I used Amsoil AFL 5w40 which also claims to meet both specs but didnt hold up well for 10k mile changes. Wear results with the AFL were fantastic at 7500k but that was the oils limit in my engine. Wear results with M1 0w40 are outstanding at 10k and I could probably run 15k. But why push it when I am very comfortable with the test results at 10k and remains in grade. I drive VERY aggressively on the highway, my speed is usually 80-95 steady and rpms 4k or higher for 80 miles. The engine still gets perfect oil test results and it runs stronger than ever. I should mention that it is reprogrammed to stage one which gives about 15 lbs of boost and 250 hp/275 torque /145 top speed @ 6500 rpms. great car, dead reliable, blast to drive, still not a squeak in it.

So 0w-40 would be OK to use even with the high miles i have? ive heard after 75k, one should use thicker oil. I guess this is one of those myths?

Also another reason i want to switch out of M1 is my car burns about a quart if oil every 3000-4000 miles. it has no leaks. thats partially the reason i wanted to use rotella, to see if it would help the oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: kbowley

T6 is not 502/505 or A3/B4 certified but it does meet those requirements. For a car out of warranty it would work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back