Lubro-Moly Anti-friction additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 4 bottles of the Lubro-Moly from NAPA today, I have a plan even though it could change, I may just run this stuff in the warmer weather without any MMO in the oil and then run the oil with MMO in the wintertime without the Lubro-Moly.

Of course I may like the stuff so much that I may just run it all the time with the MMO.

It seems like chevrofreak likes this Lubro-Moly, you never know about this Moly, when its added to my Pennzoil Platinum it could rival Redline Oil and be just as good, time will only tell.

It seems to have increased my oil pressure a bit. The needle is definitely higher than it has been for the last few weeks.

I don't keep a fuel log, so I won't know if it increases my fuel mileage, unless it's a totally drastic change like Auto-RX was.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
It seems to have increased my oil pressure a bit. The needle is definitely higher than it has been for the last few weeks.

is visc thicker??

The oil has just shy of 3,000 on it right now (it's 5 quarts Quaker State Horse Power 5W-20, with 2 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife 5W-20 as top-off). It was pretty brown before adding this stuff, so the color difference isn't as drastic as it was in the fresh oil. It is slightly more green/gray than it was before adding it, but not by much.

Thanks, my bad I thought you added it to a fresh fill. I'll see if I'm up to changing my oil Sunday. I'd rather not move the Jeep out of the garage to stay warm changing the oil in the Aerostar. I'm getting a bit lazy with all this cold weather, and would rather not lay out in the cold. A few short years ago these things didn't bother me, now they do.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'll see if I'm up to changing my oil Sunday.

your itching to try it lol,
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'll see if I'm up to changing my oil Sunday.

your itching to try it lol,
thumbsup2.gif

Oh yea. I had the perfect weather this past Sunday, but had another 250 miles to go. We do about 300 a week with this vehicle so I opted to do yard work instead, change the Jeep's oil, and wash it. It was 50*F! Looks like this Sunday could be about 15*F, with some snow. To early to tell, but its not looking good!
frown.gif

I hear ya when the cold sets in i live inside, lol,all oil's get changed in the fall to makw it through winter...

I do that with 2 of my 3 vehicles. The third one is changed based on miles. If I don't get to it over the weekend, next week I'll pull the Jeep out of the garage and change the Aerostars oil inside.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
Has anybody tried purchasing and adding MoS2 in powder form?

i.e. 1 TBSP of pure Super Fine (1.5 um) to crankcase oil?

I have MoS2 in powder as well as Tungsten Disulfide, for coating bullets. I tried the MoS2 powder in a mower, with good results. The mower would smoke occasionally on starts, which stopped. I can't explain why, I used the same brand and viscosity oil for the last two seasons. I tried some in the 93 Aerostar as well, no problems other than being clueless on how much to add. It didn't get caught up in the filter, I added about 3 teaspoons to a qt of oil and mixed through with a blender, as well as a paint shaker.

I'm anxious to try the Lubro-Moly ready made stuff.

Cool. Especially the mower experience.

What type of MoS2 and WS2 do you have?

In theory you could calculate the volume of MoS2 to use by starting with molar mass and desired ppm.

RoseMill has 1lb bags of MoS2, Super Fine, for $48.50.

K

I bought the Moly UF from Rosemill, not sure where I got the TD, but I'm certain it is the smallest particle size they had, and was assured it would not get caught in an oil filter. I bought that for bullet coating as well. I was told that is a great oil add, but it settles out fast, but upon restart it goes back into suspension. I might try that in the mower next season.

I stopped at NAPA and bought 3 cans of the stuff since it was only $4.29 each. When I got home, I popped the oil cap off and poured a full can of it into the sump of my car (while running), and I was extremely surprised that my engine immediately seemed quieter, even before the entire can was poured in
crazy2.gif

Isn't there oil splash when you removed the cap while the engine was still running?

"immediately seemed quieter"? Is "seemed" an important verb here? :)

Please let us know if the improvement is long lived or not.

- Vikas

MoS2 is one of the best solid lubricants. However, there are reasons that it has fallen out of favor in motor oil. In the presence of moisture and heat, it oxidizes to form MoO3 and sulfuric acid. MoO3 is abrasive and sulfuric acid is corrosive. This is particularly important in the winter when moisture collects in the oil the fastest. For MoS2 to be most effective, the particle size needs to match the surface features. In addition, the smaller the particle size, the faster the oxidation rate. As the particles get too large, they do not lubricate as well. Lastly, as with all solid lubricants, if other oxidation products form in the oil, aggregates can form between solids and thus produce filter clogging gunk.

MoS2 is not evil. It has great uses in grease, in aqueous lubricants, and as a dry lubricant. However, soluble forms of organo-moly are much better for motor oils than the pulverized mineral. If you don't want to go to reference material, there are plenty of entries on this site from 2004 through 2006.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I stopped at NAPA and bought 3 cans of the stuff since it was only $4.29 each. When I got home, I popped the oil cap off and poured a full can of it into the sump of my car (while running), and I was extremely surprised that my engine immediately seemed quieter, even before the entire can was poured in
crazy2.gif

Isn't there oil splash when you removed the cap while the engine was still running?

"immediately seemed quieter"? Is "seemed" an important verb here? :)

Please let us know if the improvement is long lived or not.

- Vikas

No oil splash. There's a cam lobe somewhat near the hole, but it's just fed by a trickle of oil that flows over where it contacts the valve, and at idle it isn't moving fast enough to fling anything.

There was a definite reduction in sound from the engine, but I have no way of determining by how much.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
MoS2 is one of the best solid lubricants. However, there are reasons that it has fallen out of favor in motor oil. In the presence of moisture and heat, it oxidizes to form MoO3 and sulfuric acid. MoO3 is abrasive and sulfuric acid is corrosive. This is particularly important in the winter when moisture collects in the oil the fastest. For MoS2 to be most effective, the particle size needs to match the surface features. In addition, the smaller the particle size, the faster the oxidation rate. As the particles get too large, they do not lubricate as well. Lastly, as with all solid lubricants, if other oxidation products form in the oil, aggregates can form between solids and thus produce filter clogging gunk.

MoS2 is not evil. It has great uses in grease, in aqueous lubricants, and as a dry lubricant. However, soluble forms of organo-moly are much better for motor oils than the pulverized mineral.

Thanks for the info. Was always wondering why MoS2 hasn't been used in as a standard additive in many other oils. Perhaps those people using the additives should use a shorter OCI? In this case I'd be hesitant to use the treatment in my engine. Now we just need to find a MoDTC or a MoDTC/ZDDP combi additive instead! ZDDPlus is a pure ZDDP additive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back