lubegard green

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just performed a complete flush and filter change on my wife's 2004 Ford Freestar. I used Walmart Mercon V to refill. The van has 186k miles, and recently had recall service done by the dealership in which it received a new torque converter. I felt the need to flush it because while the dealership performed the recall work, they only replaced what fluid was lost during the converter swap. No full flush or filter change, just five quarts of new fluid. So i ran it for awhile in hopes of clearing out any dirt or debris from the swap, then flushed it. Anyways, I have a bottle of lubegard green that has been sitting on the shelf for awhile and was wondering if it would be worth anything to dump it in. From what I understand, lubegard green is a Mercon V converter. So, am I gaining anything by adding it to Mercon V or does it contain additional lubricating value.

No, do NOT add LubeGard Green if you have MerconV in the tranny.

The LG Green label additive was for use for tranny shops to convert DexronIII/MERCon to MerconV.

Please guys, don't add anything to an expensive transmission unless you have read the literature as to proper application.

Did you really do a power flush or just a pan drain and refill?

Last edited:
Dropped the pan, changed filter, re-installed pan, refilled pan, disconnected cooler exit line, ran pump while adding fluid until clean fluid was seen, reconnected line, topped off til dipstick read safe

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

The LG Green label additive was for use for tranny shops to convert DexronIII/MERCon to MerconV.

Please guys, don't add anything to an expensive transmission unless you have read the literature as to proper application.

I agree on this, I would maybe add LG red, but not the Green stuff unless you're converting.

Depending on the problem with the original converter, this could be a good candidate for the Magnefine inline filter if the dealer didn't install one.

Factory converters were bad from the time they were installed. Converter manufacturer didn't harden the input splines, which caused them to shear around 80-100k miles. Didn't happen to us til 185k. I knew of the recall before it [censored] out and just figured it will get flushed when they call us in. Apparently not the case. But, failure or not, it was getting a new converter.

Another question: If lubegard green converts non Mercon V to Mercon V spec, is there a better spec fluid that I could mix with the LG green and have the best protection?

Originally Posted By: panthermike

I agree on this, I would maybe add LG red, but not the Green stuff unless you're converting.

+1

I did a pan & filter drop on my dad's 99 Ranger, it's spec'd for Mercon V, I spilled in 5 quarts of castrol Dexron 3 and a bottle of Lubegard Green, and the truck's shifting perfectly fine, it's been service for about 3 years, maybe 18k miles put on it since, no issues at all.

Agree....use Lubgard RED with Mercon V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back