Transmission Filter Change - waste of time?

My FIL drives a 2008 Toyota Camry V6 with the U660 transaxle.

Transmission Fluid Exchange was performed at 60K and at 90K(ish) using 9-10 qts of Toyota ATF-WS.

A few weeks ago, at 152K, I removed the transmission oil pan (for the first time) to replace the filter. This transmission uses a media filter, not a screen. From the openings, the filter appeared very clean and the pan magnets had a very minimal amount of debris.

With regular fluid flushes, I am not convinced that a filter change on Aisin units is necessary. Thoughts?

IMG_7135.jpeg

IMG_7134.jpeg

IMG_7136.jpeg

Thank you for posting this, I noticed my U660F has a filter media and wondered the same thing. Anyhow, the pan has never been off, just regular changes with MaxLife. It was last done several years ago and I most likely won't do it anymore because the fluid coming out was as clean as the one going in. Just need 3 more years out of my 2010, see signature below.

1st reply on this forum BTW.....

I would say that you pan has quite a bit of debris in it, from the picture. Fine debris, but debris nonetheless. Changing the filter in your case (not neglected with quality fluid) is a good thing, and likely overdue, but I would venture to say that no damage had been done because of the filter not being changed.

Waste of time, no......will you ever need to change it again, probably not. If I were you, I would clean the pan spotless, and proceed with what you were doing before.

I change mine every 30k at max, and do a pan drain between at 15k or so, some say overkill, but I say a good investment.

Wish ATF went down in price to 2019 prices though.

I also use Maxlife or Napa

In my experience it's more important to do frequent pan and magnet cleaning than a filter change.

Keeping the fluid clean is critical in keeping wear to a minimum. It's a feedback loop. The filter is more of a "last line of defense".

I've seen bigger debris mushrooms on pan magnets from units with 36K miles on them. The fact this U660 had 152K is remarkable. This is a happy AT.

The issue is, you never know what you are going to see until you drop the pan for inspection. I'd rather waste my time like this EVERY time. Excellent work as is your custom @The Critic !

Necessary? No. That transmission looks great for the number of miles.

There is some Aisin units in which the transmission filter is internal and cannot be replaced without removing and opening up the entire case.

Clearly, in those cases, like every single, one of my Volvos, Asin did not intend the filter to be replaced.

However, I would be OCD about this, and replace the filter when it is this simple to accomplish.

However, I would be OCD about this, and replace the filter when it is this simple to accomplish.
In full disclosure, list price for the parts (from Toyota) was $152.45 - plus it added 30-45 min of additional time to the fluid exchange. So, not exactly a small investment.

"Generally I would say it’s a good idea to drop the pan and change the filter during the first service, after that just change the ATF":

I agree with this statement. It's what I do with every car.

FWIW, I’ve seen a gunked up Ford Filtran filter on a Ranger with 250K. In went with a new Motorcraft filter and a fresh fill of Castrol Mercon V. OTOH, a Toyota OE one I replaced with about 100K on it was clean - I installed a Wix on it since I needed the O-ring. I think regular spill and fills just to keep the particles in acceptable levels can stave off filter replacement.

I have a Magnefine inline filter on my transmission cooler line and do full fluid exchage every 60,000 with Aisin AFW+ synthetic. My oil generally comes out clean so I don't bother with the metal mesh thats used in the A750 transmission on my Toyota.

My FIL drives a 2008 Toyota Camry V6 with the U660 transaxle.

Transmission Fluid Exchange was performed at 60K and at 90K(ish) using 9-10 qts of Toyota ATF-WS.

A few weeks ago, at 152K, I removed the transmission oil pan (for the first time) to replace the filter. This transmission uses a media filter, not a screen. From the openings, the filter appeared very clean and the pan magnets had a very minimal amount of debris.

With regular fluid flushes, I am not convinced that a filter change on Aisin units is necessary. Thoughts?

View attachment 199892
View attachment 199891
View attachment 199893
I completely agree...

@critic, I had a 5spd aisin AT in my 2006 tundra which saw hard tow duty. It only has a screen. I added a spin-on filter and put 50k miles on it. I pulled the filter at 30k and cut it open - looked new.

in my limited experience, transmissions which have seen some fluid changes don’t seem to load up the filter.

had a couple p2 Volvos with the AW 5 speed. Never opened them up, but fluid changes and a magnefine took one with a bad 1-2 flare back to like-new shifting, something I’ve never seen before. I am pretty sure they just had screens too, but clearly something fluid-related had been causing it trouble. Grateful for the fix, we kept that one a long time.

As @JTK posted, now you know what you've got; that's huge IMO. I serviced the trans filter when I 1st got the Tundra; I will likely only do spill and fills going forward.

I would be pretty darn happy seeing those pan magnets; way better than the other way! Nice work @The Critic .

Back