ls3 camaro...opinions needed on interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody, on my camaro I have "free" oil changes every 5k miles up until 30k miles (so 6 total obviously lol)..the dealer gives me 8qts of Mobil 1 and a filter and I change it myself. I have 8500 miles on the car. I changed the oil at 1500 miles...and then at 5k miles I used my first free oil change. Now where I need your opinion is since they give me the oil and I change it myself should I really change it at 5k miles? (i mean the oil is free)...or when I get to my next change interval at 10k miles should I just get the oil and not change it until the olm tells me to? Or maybe change at 25 percent or so? Potentially if I do this instead of having 30k miles worth of free oil I could stretch it out to 50 or 60k miles before I would need to start buying oil. I would rather use Pennzoil plat or ultra...so I'm not sure if I should use the Mobil up in the first 30k miles or just use it as long as I can since its free..thanks for any advice.

I'm a Pennzoil guy, But I cant see any downsides about using M1.

It is a good oil.

I agree...but what's your opinion on changing it? Just get my free oil every 5k miles but don't change until indicated by the olm (which will be over 10k miles per change) or just do it every 5k miles since the oil is free?

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
I agree...but what's your opinion on changing it? Just get my free oil every 5k miles but don't change until indicated by the olm (which will be over 10k miles per change) or just do it every 5k miles since the oil is free?

Haha. That oil was not 'free'. You paid for it. You definitely paid for it! But yes, I would stretch it out, and stock up on the 'free' oil.

Last edited:
Your right...I paid 100 bucks for the oil changes....they made a mistake because the salesman didn't know the car required synthetic. So 100 bucks for 48qts of Mobil 1 and 6 oil filters. They tried to write a new contract but I refused to sign it.

5k seems light for M1.
I'd go further..
The OLM is NOT aware you have synthetic oil in there. But if it says go longer, you sure safely can!

Since I have born and raised a ton of new Gen LS based 5.3 and 6.0 truck motors I can tell you they last a LONG time just following the OLM. I work one here daily with over 400k miles and not a leak or a rattle anywhere.

Don't agonize much over brand, just get good synthetic and a quality filter and enjoy the car until the OLM says change it.

It should run [censored] near forever!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
5k seems light for M1.
I'd go further..
The OLM is NOT aware you have synthetic oil in there. But if it says go longer, you sure safely can!

The car comes from the factory with Mobil 1...and it says Mobil 1 on the cap..so I'm pretty sure the olm is calibrated for synthetic...but anyways thanks for the advice! 100 bucks of Mobil 1 will last me 50 or 60k miles following the olm...seems like a good deal to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back