looking to buy 2012 highlander

My neighbor 4 houses down is selling a 2012 highlander limited...74k very nicely maintained

Any opinions on these trucks...Almost bought 15 explorer until i found out about the highlander

I need it to last another 5-6 years until my student loan debt is killed...drive about 14k a yr

My 2006 Highlander Ltd is still doing just fine. At 145K it will surely last 5-6 years. In fact, I'd be disappointed if it lasts only that.

You mentioned possibly getting another SUV. Perhaps a good way to get a good answer from this forum is to tell us what you want to do with it.

This one has AWD; PO bought it to drive on lightly snowed and iced roads up in the mountains. It did a great job at that. I use it as my daily driver--it does a very good job at that (mileage is ok).

How many people do you expect to drive in it? The third row in my highlander is rather tight. I don't know if they expanded it for later years, but if you were to buy it expecting to carry 6 people quite often, you would be disappointed if it had no more space than mine.

My grandparents bought a 2010 highlander new. They are so bad at maintaining anything. 10-15k oci’s with the cheapest 5w20( specs 5w30 for the towing package) and it’s going strong at 200k miles. I’m amazed. I’ve recently taken over maintenance and it’s disgusting under the hood but runs like a champ.

Go for it, great power train and good build quality. The rear diff will drain the blackest looking tar concoction you've ever seen, but don't be afraid. AWD is a 100% 50/50 torque split so it's more capable than most setups in the snow when compared to others in it's class. Second row leg room is stunning with the seats slid all the way back.

The 2GR has only 2 notable failure points: rear VVT oil line and oil cooler lines. VVT shouldn't apply to this 2012 model year, but if it has the tow package check the cooler lines for seeping and replace with the metal lines and never worry about it again.

My personal pet peeve is that the center stack backlighting is ghetto green, and the gauge cluster is backlit with white and red. Why they weren't made to match I don't know.

Timing cover leaks (sometimes)
Both inner cv boots will sling grease by 60K, especially the passenger side one. $40 to reboot DIY.
Control arm bushings (eventually)

Overall, very solid cars.

When I was looking at getting the 2008 Highlander, 240k at $3400, then I ended up with a 2010 Sienna, 210k at $4k, same drive train, better condition, less mileage, similar cost. Go see YouTube's Car Care Nut on both these and the others he may have that share the same drive train. What I learned that would discourage me is the external head gasket leaks and the engine must get removed for many repairs. I did take his advice and got the older 3.3 motor in a 2004 Sienna, good build quality and DIY friendly.

I almost broke even selling the 2010 (should have waited that out...) and got the 2004 at $1500 and the DIY better fits my garage style. Student loan debt should be a low interest rate, but you'll feel a lot better if you pass on a big cost here and sunset the debt sooner. On the other hand, drive what you like, but keep it maintained. Ohh, almost forgot, 10k oil change interval might have been the standard, though worse if the 4 cylinder, the 3.5 does have a ~6.3 oil capacity with filter exchange, just be aware of what to look for in terms of possibly being a oil burner or other wear concerns, this should be fine at that mileage.

as long as its well priced get it... but why are they selling it since its not too old or high mileage. id still try to pay for a carfax report even though it doesn't tell a full picture it provides something.

Back