Looking for a high caliber semi auto rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: hatt
The M14 is better than an M4 at 600+ meter engagements. The M4 was never intended for such a role. That doesn't mean the M14 is better than modern weapons that are designed for such things. Other rifles are chambered in 7.62. And there are other rounds that excel at range. M16s chambered in 6.5 Grendel would worked great and been more practical than M14s dug out of mothballs. The M14 was obsolete when it was introduced since the AR10 was already on the scene.

The M16's bad rep came from a bungled rollout in Vietnam. Soldiers that came along later in the war loved them. Than more nonsense later on using M855 in 14.5 inch barrels. With the introduction of MK262, MK318, M855A1 that problem is being fixed.

I'm surprised you would fall into such a blind hole, trying to defend weapons the way you are attempting. The M-4 is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not a wonder weapon. It is a tool like many. Would you argue a pitchfork is "better" than a shovel? You would have to be stupid. Yet you do much the same involving weapons. If the M-4 was so wonderful, why wasn't there a single one involved in the Bin Laden raid? All were carrying H&K 416's. These guys can have any weapon they want. They didn't choose M-4's for obvious reasons.
Not everyone is in love with the 416. The 416 came along to remedy the issues that the MK18 finally overcame after a bit more R&D, and the MK18 is a lot more user friendly (not a boat anchor) than the 416.

In recent years the AR platform has been transformed into everything except a kitchen appliance. All in an attempt to make it "better". None have worked out all that well. Aside from a bunch of tacticool accessories they've managed to hang all over it, it's not much different than the problem plagued original that was shoved down soldiers throats in Vietnam. They've sprayed different coatings on it. Chambered it in every round imaginable. Hung every optic and battle sight on it known to mankind. Bolted lasers and flashlights to it. Came up with 4,973 different butt stocks for it. Along with 5,971 different forends that will fit it. That, and another 2,671 different size and shaped pistol grips that will fit any size or shaped hand imaginable. It's very modular, yes, and what problems, exactly, does it have? It was more reliable than the M14 in 1969 (per military testing), and it still is, today.

And when all is said and done, it's the same .22 varmint rifle Colt was trying to sell to the public back in 1969, in a full page ad in Field & Stream. Except now it costs more. And has wider acceptance, because a generation advertising can't be wrong. I own several. And they make terrific range toys. Which like you and everyone else, is what I use them for. But if I was going to depend on a rifle to "save my life", there are certainly far better ones to choose from, in much better calibers than what Prairie Dog shooters favor. As always YMMV.

Like you said, people who can have any weapon they want often grab M4 type weapons.

You do realize an HK 416 is essentially an updated M4/M16/AR15?

Exactly my point. So why didn't they use a standard issue M-4 if they're so wonderful? If it's good enough for everyone else, why not them? I will agree that the military is somewhat stuck with the M-4, due to the cost of replacing it. That in itself certainly doesn't justify it being "better". Back to my point of constantly trying to put lipstick on a pig, with all of these never ending "improvements". From 1936 to 1957 the M1 Garand served this nations military successfully with one basic modification. And that was a simple conversion to allow it to receive a box magazine. (M-14).

No matter what they do to the AR platform, it still is what it is, and what it's always been. A problem prone military weapon wrapped around a varmint cartridge. Which has led to far more criticism, than it has praise. It's a bit like being married to an fat, ugly woman you can't divorce. Simply because it would cost you too much. Certainly not a lot to be happy about to say the least.

You keep dogging on "improvements" to the M4, can you even tell us what they are, and why they are not to your liking?

Originally Posted By: Ws6
You keep dogging on "improvements" to the M4, can you even tell us what they are, and why they are not to your liking?

What difference does it make if they are, "to my liking", or not? As I said, I like the AR platform. But my weapons, just like yours and everyone else's on this forum, are nothing but range toys and varmint rifles. For that purpose they are nice guns. And do what is expected of them. That doesn't make them a good battle rifle. Just look at all the variants. Piston versions by the dozens. Some good, others not so good. None of them interchangeable. Stocks, forends, grips, barrels, barrel steels, flash suppressors, sights, muzzle brakes. Name it, and they've found there way on a AR platform rifle. All trying to improve it.

Do they? I don't think so. They may impress by raising cool factor. And let kitchen table builders personalize their guns. And in the process make money for their manufacturers. But the fact is, and will always remain, the gun is a battle rifle chambered for a varmint round. That through the decades and conflicts it's been involved in, has been the source for far more controversy and problems than praise. You may not agree with that. But it won't change the facts.

The 5.56 was so bad the Russians copied it so they wouldn't have an unfair advantage.
crazy.gif

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 5.56 as an anti personnel round at typical ranges. The biggest problem was using bullets designed for SAWs and M16s in short barrels. With the new crop of .mil bullets the 5.56 has never been better.

....what problems, exactly, does it have?

I'll try not to play dumb like you. Try this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=m16+problems

It's going to take more than Google to convince me your argument has merit when so many people who have used it in combat come home and buy one to defend their home. You may consider your ar a range toy. Mine is for home defense, hunting, and things of the nature.

The 5.56 was so bad the Russians copied it so they wouldn't have an unfair advantage.
crazy.gif

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 5.56 as an anti personnel round at typical ranges. The biggest problem was using bullets designed for SAWs and M16s in short barrels. With the new crop of .mil bullets the 5.56 has never been better.

Yep. Big hogs, deer, people. Works great for all.

In Canada it's not legal to hunt big game with a center fire rile of less than 6mm or .243".
Large animals such as bison, have a greater restriction, the approximate power of a 300 Win Mag with a minimum bullet weight of 180 grains.
Even feral hogs deserve the ethical treatment of a clean humane kill when possible and practicable.
Would a 5.65 Nato round fit that requirement?

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
In Canada it's not legal to hunt big game with a center fire rile of less than 6mm or .243".
Large animals such as bison, have a greater restriction, the approximate power of a 300 Win Mag with a minimum bullet weight of 180 grains.
Even feral hogs deserve the ethical treatment of a clean humane kill when possible and practicable.

Sure. Why not? Tons of people killing 3 to 400 pound hogs with it very humanely. I killed my first deer with it and it worked great. Granted, my deer was small, but still. Through and through, wrecked the boiler room.

Thanks Ws6. One member posted that a discussion about an animal on bitog, wouldn't be complete without figuring out how to kill it.

I watch those hog & coyote "cull" videos where guys are shooting them from helicopters. I'm sure for yotes, FMJ 5.65 is good'nuff.
But what are they usin' on the hogs, 'cuz what ever it is, they roll perdy good up to 400 yards away when tagged.
I'm counting 20 shot runs from a semi auto. If those are .308 Win, would the rifle eventually over heat and possibly cook-off a round in the chamber?

Thanks Ws6. One member posted that a discussion about an animal on bitog, wouldn't be complete without figuring out how to kill it.

I watch those hog & coyote "cull" videos where guys are shooting them from helicopters. I'm sure for yotes, FMJ 5.65 is good'nuff.
But what are they usin' on the hogs, 'cuz what ever it is, they roll perdy good up to 400 yards away when tagged.
I'm counting 20 shot runs from a semi auto. If those are .308 Win, would the rifle eventually over heat and possibly cook-off a round in the chamber?

I doubt it on semi.

It depends on the shooter when the cartridge fired becomes more marginal.

Best example from history is W.D.M. Bell. He was one of the top ivory hunters in history. Out of the just over 1k elephant he took, about 80 percent were killed with a Mauser 98 chambered in 7mm mauser. Shot placement was key and he was very good at it. At the time other ivory hunters were using much bigger African calibers and today there are rules that would never allow such a small cartridge to be used on big game.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

It depends on the shooter when the cartridge fired becomes more marginal.

Best example from history is W.D.M. Bell. He was one of the top ivory hunters in history. Out of the just over 1k elephant he took, about 80 percent were killed with a Mauser 98 chambered in 7mm mauser. Shot placement was key and he was very good at it. At the time other ivory hunters were using much bigger African calibers and today there are rules that would never allow such a small cartridge to be used on big game.

Yep! That said, up to about 400#, if you avoid shooting an animal in the arse, and can count on yourself to hit the heart and lung area, the 5.56 will work fine out to 300ish yards.

The 5.56 was so bad the Russians copied it so they wouldn't have an unfair advantage. Absolutely nothing wrong with the 5.56 as an anti personnel round at typical ranges. The biggest problem was using bullets designed for SAWs and M16s in short barrels. With the new crop of .mil bullets the 5.56 has never been better.

And average sized mule deer is about as difficult to kill as a man. Their cardiovascular system and vital organs are about the same size and weight as a humans. If the .223 was such a wonderful cartridge, then why is it illegal to hunt deer with it in several states? The fact is that it's considered, even in the few states that allow it, to be minimal at best, downright lousy in fact. Which is why it is considered to be a varmint cartridge since it's introduction, not suitable for anything much larger.

I'll grant you the whole, "better to wound in war, rather then kill" mantra. Many will successfully argue that. I will concede the cartridge isn't as bad as the weapon that fires it, (M-16). That gun has had more than it's share of problems in every conflict it's ever been involved in. And again if you doubt that, the information is out there by the ton.

It's going to take more than Google to convince me your argument has merit when so many people who have used it in combat come home and buy one to defend their home. You may consider your ar a range toy. Mine is for home defense, hunting, and things of the nature.

Of course it will because your a fan boy of both the cartridge and the platform. And I'm not "arguing". Everything I've said about this platform's problems are well documented fact. The information is out there. Reams of it. All you have to do is read it. You won't. Or else wouldn't believe it if you did. As I said, I like both as well. I most likely own more of them than you do. They're fun to play with. And that's what we do with them, regardless if you care to admit it or not. With that said it doesn't prevent me from realistically looking at both the cartridge and the platform for what they are.... A varmint cartridge in a weapon that has had far more than it's share of problems. Most of which still continue today.

If this nation was not $20 Trillion dollars in debt. And we had both a sitting President, as well as a legislative branch that loved the military, as much as the current administration hates it, we would have been rid of this dog with fleas years ago. But the fact of the matter is both financial, as well as political realities prevent that. So we have limped along with this turd for the last 5+ decades. With the possibilities of getting rid of it becoming more remote with every passing year. All the way trying to make changes to "improve" it. Most of which have not.

.........Tons of people killing 3 to 400 pound hogs with it.......

And Jack O'Conner killed an Elephant with a .270. So what? That hardly makes it the ideal choice for the job. If it was all 50 states would allow the .22 centerfires for hunting deer. They don't. Which by the way, isn't really considered "big game". Just because people have been killed with baseball bats and tire irons effectively, doesn't make it the weapon of choice. Once again, read and learn.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=states+that+do+not+allow+the+.223+for+deer+hunting

It would be argued that it can't (hence the reason for the restrictions up here and in many states). They tend to go "through and through" because of their high velocity and small footprint. It isn't a matter of penetration, the .223/5.56 penetrates extremely well. It is the lack of expansion and subsequently significant damage that can result from the round doing just that.

The 5.56 NATO is FMJ, so it would go through and through with a small wound track; it would be a poor hunting round because the odds of having to track the animal while it slowly bleeds out (and you losing the animal and it suffering) is much higher than a hollow-point or other expanding round designed to cause massive injury and an expedient death. In the battlefield, this is apparently desired, because a wounded troop takes more men out of the fight than a dead one (or so I've heard it argued).

I believe that sums up the logic behind the the requirement for a larger calibre when hunting deer and larger animals.

True, but hunting big game with FMJ bullets in any caliber is not allowed. Guys are buying surplus 7.62x39 FMJ ammo and likely using it on big game illegally, because they can't find SP hunting ammo for their SKS purchase. The ban on .22 caliber for hunting pre-dated the FMJ NATO round. 220 Swift and the like were illegal for big game with SP hunting bullets shortly after their introduction..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back