Deer rifle choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dubber09
Tikka... if just for deer then .270 or 7mm-08 are great.
The only off shelf rifle better than Tikka are Sako, also made in Finland, same manuf as matter of fact, but they are much more expensive.

^^^ This
Tikka or Sako in 270 Win or 7mm-08.

If not reloading, then yes .308 is a better choice.

Are Kimber still around ? I liked the look of some of their early rifles.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Tikka is the better rifle in every sense, with ACTUAL quality control, and made by European craftsman. Not even close. Out of the box, the Tikka wins handily. If you are going to drop $3000 into it in aftermarket parts, then get the freedom group rifle.
Why would you need to drop $3000 into a Remington 700 5R stainless that comes with a HS Precision stock? The X-Mark trigger (though I always install a Jewell) is decent and the 5R barrel is very accurate. The Tikka has a cheap plastic stock and while I cannot speak to the quality of the rifle itself, I do not see what makes it THAT much better than the Remington.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Why would you need to drop $3000 into a Remington 700 5R stainless that comes with a HS Precision stock? The X-Mark trigger (though I always install a Jewell) is decent and the 5R barrel is very accurate. The Tikka has a cheap plastic stock and while I cannot speak to the quality of the rifle itself, I do not see what makes it THAT much better than the Remington.

You don't have to. My God $3K is a tremendous amount of money to put into ANY rifle. It all but puts you into custom rifle territory. Remington barrels are as good or better than anyone's out there. Tikka included. While there were some quality issues early on with both Remington and Marlin after the Cerberus takeover, most all of them have been resolved. The 700's today are as good and accurate as they've ever been.

All 4 of my Remington 700's have the stock Walker trigger. And I've never had an issue with any of them. But if you like and prefer a Jewell, they're quite easy to install yourself. Or else a gunsmith can install one for minimum cost. The McMillian stocks are about as good as they come. And as you mentioned the 5R barrels are known for good accuracy and longevity. So if anyone wants a good, accurate Remington 700, all they have to do is go buy one. With good handloads I've yet to see one that won't print MOA or better off a solid bench in calm air.

I can certainly understand the aspect of wanting wood and steel in your hands. I also understand the concept that polymer is lightweight and impervious to moisture. I too used to turn my nose up at the “weird” European rifles. But actually hold, shoot, and carry a lightweight Tikka, and most people will find it to be a much better rifle out of the box, than a 700.

The Tilkka is a better out of the box rifle. Sure I’d rather have a $2500 Remington, but not in its stock form.

I bought the Remington today. He had to order it in (they sold the Tikka they had on the weekend). If I don't like the trigger I can always put in a CADEX or Jewel as suggested by 2015_PSD. I figure that I may want to change the stock later if I don't like it, and if that's the case, the 700 is going to be more friendly in that regard.

Shots are probably going to be from a max of 100 yards and from a tree stand.

For optics I'm thinking something lower magnification like a Bushnell Elite 6500 in 2.5-16x, I've had a couple of those and was really impressed with the clarity and low light functionality. They are also reasonably priced and I can probably score one quite cheap from the local shop.

I'll post some pics once it shows up. Thanks for all the input!

OK, I would have ordered the Tikka ... But you done good on the Remmy. I agree 100% on the Bushnell Elite. The Rainguard coating is a blessing on days when the fog is out
smile.gif

Good luck with the Remmy. Hope she works well for you. I was going to also suggest a controlled feed gun but toss in the CZ550 as an option. For a traditional controlled feed gun it is hard to beat a Model 70 or CZ550.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Winchester Model 94 .30-.30 from 1940s. Never needed more power for deer in New Mexico. Those "500 yard" shots were really about thirty yards.

Longer the shot, longer the drag. I agree with you.
Long shots are on Ground hogs and Prairie Dogs.

If you want to make your Remmy perfect send out the action to a company and have it blueprinted. It will improve accuracy and reliability. There are several gunsmiths on line that work on Rems actually that is the advantage to Rem most smiths will work on them and not other brands of bolt guns.

Good call on the Remington. It's just a hunting rifle and will be fine out of the box for your intended use. I happened upon a Ruger American in 30.06 at my local Walmart for $184 on closeout. Works just fine and the trigger and action are quite sufficient on it. I'm certain the elk I just took with it didn't care how much or how little I spent on the rifle or how clean the trigger break was. If you were shooting 500+ yards, that's a whole other conversation. But, 100 yards from a tree stand? You're golden out of the box.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Good call on the Remington. It's just a hunting rifle and will be fine out of the box for your intended use. I happened upon a Ruger American in 30.06 at my local Walmart for $184 on closeout. Works just fine and the trigger and action are quite sufficient on it. I'm certain the elk I just took with it didn't care how much or how little I spent on the rifle or how clean the trigger break was. If you were shooting 500+ yards, that's a whole other conversation. But, 100 yards from a tree stand? You're golden out of the box.

thumbsup2.gif

I have a CADEX Defence CDX-33 in .338LM for long range and precision work.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: 28oz

thumbsup2.gif

I have a CADEX Defence CDX-33 in .338LM for long range and precision work.

Nice!

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
In case you haven't heard, there was a MAJOR problem with the original Remington 700 trigger system. They can and do go off without anyone touching them. If you do get an older Remington 700 be darn sure to replace the trigger assembly with something more reliable and safer.
I had fist had experience with this problem with the Remington 700 about fifty some years ago at a deer camp near Lindrith,NM in the Jemez Mountains. 30-06 went off for no apparent reason and the ricocheting slug missed me by inches.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Whenever a weapon discharges there is ALWAYS a reason.

Yes, the firing pin impacts the primer.

The 700 series trigger group has had 2 different 60 minutes stories discussing its releasing when not pulled ... or the gun dropped. There seems to be SOME sensitivity to cold temperatures. From what I recall, Remington (don't remember if before or after Cerberus purchase) redesigned the trigger group, but didn't correct the problem.

I don't think the problem is ALL the man holding the weapon. Do your own research.

(I own 2 Remington firearms, neither a 700 series, and have had no problems)

The Remington 700 is the Small Block Chevy of the rifle world; ubiquitous, not always the greatest quality from the factory, came in all sorts of factory tunes over the years, but there are plenty of parts and expertise out there to sort them out and make them run great.

I've seen miserable quality new factory 700's since before Cerebus/Freedom Group bought them out. It is, after all a mass produced product, and Remington has had solvency problems for decades. A former engineer, bench rester and gun enthusiast, Mike Walker, made a good retirement income testifying against his former employer in liability cases about the trigger. He had long ago recommended a redesign and was shot down by management. I wonder if anyone ever regretted that decision, that has since kept a formerly great American company on the edge of bankruptcy ever since.

I remember a gun shop owner in the early 2000's proudly showed me a new 700 PSS, the shorter barreled black 308, he had just gotten a lot for the local gendarmie. I looked it over and said "the crown is cut with a lot of chatter, hardly a sniper rifle." I showed it to him and explain the bullet tipping issue when a crown is cut erratically. He pulled out several more and they were all messed up the same. I said, "there's a reason my gunsmith offers the '700 accuracy package': recut crown, trigger job, correct misaligned scope mount holes, align rings, glass bed stock. He shook his head and said he'd call Remington the next day.

Just like a factory Camaro, you're not going to start winning races at the 1/4 mile until you replace the factory tires, do something about axle hop, upgrade induction and exhaust, timing....

The Tikka on the other hand, that's a finished piece of equipment. A buddy has one, right out of the box it was smooth and accurate.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
In case you haven't heard, there was a MAJOR problem with the original Remington 700 trigger system. They can and do go off without anyone touching them. If you do get an older Remington 700 be darn sure to replace the trigger assembly with something more reliable and safer.

And Remington's response to the CNBC piece is below. Reading various gun chat boards, there were members who posted that they did have Remington 700s go off unexpectedly as described in the CNBC piece - gun fires when safety lever moved off "safe", no finger on the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back