Looking for a commuter car that is fuel efficient, reliable, and low priced.

Thanks. That is some great advice. A Toyota Echo. I will look into that as it fits all of my criteria (like you mentioned).
Any particular year to buy or avoid?

Not really. The Echo was basically the same throughout the entire run.

For older cars in the lower price brackets, it's more about the condition of each specific example.

1) The OP set the criteria. Not me.

2) It appears the OP is engaging in dialogue with those stayed “reasonably” within his parameters. Also he didn’t like or respond to those comments which strayed too far away from them… in police work, they call that a clue.
The OP never dictated sedan.

In elementary school they call that reading comprehension.

He did by ignoring your response. Read the room. Or continue to be wrong. Whatever.
Actually he replied to my comment in one of his posts explaining his reasons for not wanting one or why it wouldn’t work for him. Which is great, I did not further post reasons why the OP should purchase one.

However, you decided to be ignorant and mock my recommendation. I then proceeded to reply to you, stating, that at that point (the OPs aforementioned post), based upon the OPs initial requirements, why I recommended what I did.

At the end of the day, I don’t have a horse in this race. I just don’t appreciate ignorant comments when I think we’re all here just making conversation and truly no one’s answer or post is that far out.

Just to throw out a different idea: how about a Buick or Chevrolet sedan with the 3800 V6? Camry or Accord otherwise, just find best one you can in your price range.

Where do you live that there are still usable cars for $500... Since Cash 4 Clunkers, cars like that have never come back in my area.
This was a Saturn Vue V6 in Indiana. Had a badly leaking seal at the transmission to rf drive axle which took me a couple hours to fix. Engine sounds like a rock crusher, but had clean drain oil and good oil pressure. Four matching 80% tread Sumitomo tires, which cost about 100 bucks each.

I could never drive a penalty box for a long commute. Short trips in a congested city, sure.

I’d buy a Lexus ES300, they’re typically old people owned. Same thing mechanically as a V6 Camry and out on the highway it should get around 28-29 mpg. My brother followed me back from Montana to Phoenix in his ‘96 ES300 and got about 28 mpg and we had the cruise set at 80 mph.

Wow, that's thinking outside the box. A Ford Focus. I do regard Ford as the best of the 3 US automakers in terms of reliablility.
My perception (correct me if I am wrong), is that Ford, GM, Chrysler were always good at building big heavy vehicles, but they could never build a reliable small car. Maybe I am too old and thinking about the Ford Pinto / Chevy Vega / Chrysler Neon.
If you drive these aggressive you don’t have the dual clutch problems. People don’t know how to drive them is why people complain about them.

Is a 25 yr old car not rotted out?

My 2005 diesel Jetta has been a great little car. Gets 40mpg without much fuss.

I've put about 100k on it.
It's rusting out now, probably only has a few more years left.

I have a '17 Accord LX Sedan 6MT. On a highway cruise it gets 35+mpg, almost 600 miles out of a tank. Comfortable and pretty quiet depending on what tires you get. Mine had Goodyear WeatherReady when I bought it used, noisest tires I ever had on car. I replaced with some Pirelli P7 and it's nice and quiet on a cruise.

User on DriveAccord uses his '14 Accord 6MT for courier work. He has over 400k on it now. It replaced a '15 that got totaled by a deer with over 600k on it.

Toyotas and Hondas are super hot in this market. I’d suggest a 4cylinder 2nd gen ford fusion. I believe the 2.5l duratec engines are known to be pretty reliable.
I think this is a good choice. The 2.5 is rough around town, but cruising on the highway it gives good mpg and the chassis is also very smooth and quiet.

I really like the ES300 suggestion above. A good balance of power, efficiency, reliability, and comfort. I had a 2006 Camry 3.0L V6, and that car was a pleasure to drive in town and on long trips.

But here are a couple more options that are worth noting. These are from the days when Hyundai/Kia actually did something right. Reliable cars, cheap to buy/own/maintain, and are comfy. All are essentially the same car. Compared to newer Hyundai/Kia - these do not require 5 engines to get to 250k miles, and can reach that mileage easily on original engine and transmission.

2007-2010 Hyundai Elantra
Screenshot_20240102-092921~2.jpg

2004-2009 Kia Spectra
Screenshot_20240102-092943~2.jpg

2005-2009 Kia Spectra5
Screenshot_20240102-092954~2.jpg

These cars are very simple, basic, and won't break the bank. Everyone I know who had one was always happy with it. Basic maintenance is all that's needed. I like manual transmissions, but automatics are just as reliable in those, with periodic drain & fill of ATF.

I can't believe how the Fit keeps popping up on these threads. It's a terrible highway commuter with a terrible ride and plenty of wind noise. Yes-it does have interior space. Yes-it gets good mpg-but is a penalty box in every sense of the word-otherwise. This was a Honda "stinker".
Remind us again how many years in a row it was on Car and Driver's 10 Best list?

I have a soft spot for the 2003-2013 Corolla's. Very basic transportation but so reliable. Many of the other mentioned choices are great to.

Fit was a 13k car selling for 17K, Cheap as can be. Somewhat fragile but not as bad as a Kia.
Garbage suspension, pencil thin struts, problematic engine (exhaust in head - and coil packs right there)
manual Trans fluid lasts a year before the synchro start balking- but not a major expense unless you ignore the symptom and do not change it with the correct Honda juice. The Yaris 2 door was a bit more pleasant.

I thought the Fit was tolerable for a 25 mile commute - but I enjoyed my Suzuki Aerio 5 door 2.3 mt far more.

Had them all.

Took the Honda to 60k then dumped it. Good resale

Suzuki Aerio SX

aerio sx2.jpg

Last edited:
My recommendation would be to check out a 2006-08 Corolla or Vibe or Matrix. Me personally, I wouldn’t drive a car without side airbags and really do prefer curtain airbags too. People seem to drive worse as each year goes by around here. Those model years have probably the most refined version of the 1ZZ FE and some of them did have the side airbags (with an even smaller set also adding the curtain airbags). Those are the ones you might want to seriously consider. I have a Corolla and yes, it’s got a lot of tire noise. But it’s been very very reliable. For reference, I thought it was quieter than a 2012 Honda Fit. I feel like the fit and finish is better than the latest gen Corolla too and there’s less hard plastic to remind you on a daily basis that you should’ve bought a Camry/Avalon 😂.

You can also look for the 2010-12 Avalons as they seem to be available at a decent price, depending on your budget. But if a V6 is acceptable gas mileage wise, I would say 2012+ Impalas with the LFX engine and 6T70 would be reliable rides too with plenty of junkyard parts available at cheap prices down the road.

The Gen 2 Fusion (2010-12) recommendation someone else had is also a solid one. The 6F35 maybe a bit of a gamble if it’s not been maintained at all. And then there’s the EPAS issue - maybe try and get one that’s not had the recall done yet. But these seem to last long and there are plenty of used examples.

Final recommendation I would have is the 2008-11 Focus. They are quite reliable and can be had somewhat cheap too. I have a base 08 S with manual everything and it’s been very reliable. It’s got old school hydraulic PS and it’s quieter than the corolla on worn concrete freeways. That being, the interior on the Corolla is a leaps and bounds nicer than the cheap plastic interior of the Focus.

Back