Liquimoly Molygen vs Special Tec AA

I was thinking of running Liquimoly engine oil in my 5.7 V8 Hemi. I wanted to know which is better..

Liquimoly Molygen 5w30.jpg vs Liquimoly Special Tec AA 5w30.jpg

Has anyone run these on their Hemi engines? Whats the uoa or voa like?
How good are they compared to Mobil1 Fully Synthetic?

The Company started with molybdenum, but as time progressed and they enlarged, the moly may not have applied
to all their products, but they still Kept the name as it had a good reputation.

The Molygen line contains tungsten (they call this super-scretive German additive pack "MFC"....Molecular Friction Control 🤣) - you won't see it on normal UOAs b/c you need to pay extra/request it. I've got UOA/VOAs where I had them run it for W and you can search in the respective sub-forums under my username and "Molygen". Not sure if the Euro 5W40 is going to be different than the "normal" 5W30 product in that regard. Also some moly and boron in there to settle all the whY doEsn'T liQUImOLy doeSN't haVE moLYbdeNUM questions/crew. Beyond that, it's a typical synthetic 5W30 oil I reckon. I say go for it but the BITOG collective will tell you otherwise/use the M1...I couldn't care less what you do/what others here think but I do think this stuff is kind of cool with it's green color....

Molygen UV.jpg

So is what you're saying, normally Liquimoly does not have any moly in it..? :unsure:
Guess the brand name is more for irony sake... LOL.
Thanks for the reply.
The brand name is derived from their original product many years ago...MoS2....liquid molybdenum....same reason Shell products don't contain any sea shells. They still sell that product, MoS2 and also have a single oil that has that solid product already added but otherwise, some of their oils have some chemical Mo in them.

Thanks for the info @TiGeo.
I've been told that we should not use Liquimoly Ceratec or MoS2 with Molygen. If that is true, what would be the reason.
What about Special Tec AA? Any info on that?
Also any info on MoS2 vs Lubegard Biotech? Are they similar products? Which one would be better?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @TiGeo.
I've been told that we should not use Liquimoly Ceratec or MoS2 with Molygen. If that is true, what would be the reason.
What about Special Tec AA? Any info on that?
Also any info on MoS2 vs Lubegard Biotech? Are they similar products? Which one would be better?
I have spoke to Stephen with LM over in Germany about this. There is a lot of bad and contradictory info out on this question both by shops that sell LM products and by some LM reps themselves.

LM doesn't recommend running Ceratec with Molygen. Their reason is that Ceratec is both a chemical and solid friction modifier and the chemical portion can cause issues with this chemical FM in the Molygen.

LM says you can run MoS2 with Molygen even though it's not necessary as MoS2 is a solid FM. I've personally done this for track use with no issue.

Not familiar with their Special Tec AA (American/Asian) line...I'm sure it's a decent product as much as any other brand name oil.

Lubegard vs. MoS2. LG is a chemical moly product I believe vs. the older school solid LM MoS2. Lots of posts er...arguments in the additive sub-forum about these products you can read with some searching. I can assure you none are going to hurt your engine if you want to try one in your Hemi.

Saw a post on the Ram forum where someone was running LM Molygen, MoS2 and LM Hydraulic Lifter Fluid in his truck with no issues.
Yesterday I took the plunge and did the same - well Molygen 5w30 and Lifter fluid. I didn't use MoS2 - although I am tempted to try. The old oil was M1 FS 0w40. I noticed that whenever I did an oil change with M1, the engine ticked a bit on the first initial start. After that on startup it sounds smooth. When running and idling, the engine sounds so smooth like it was electric. Hardly any sound at all. I liked that about M1 0w40. I'm not sure about the shearing. As planned after the last rebuild, I generally keep the oil only for around 5000 kms.
With Molygen and Lifter Fluid, there was no initial tick at all and the engine sounds just as smooth as with M1. Let see how it looks when coming out at the next OCI.

Saw a post on the Ram forum where someone was running LM Molygen, MoS2 and LM Hydraulic Lifter Fluid in his truck with no issues.
Yesterday I took the plunge and did the same - well Molygen 5w30 and Lifter fluid. I didn't use MoS2 - although I am tempted to try. The old oil was M1 FS 0w40. I noticed that whenever I did an oil change with M1, the engine ticked a bit on the first initial start. After that on startup it sounds smooth. When running and idling, the engine sounds so smooth like it was electric. Hardly any sound at all. I liked that about M1 0w40. I'm not sure about the shearing. As planned after the last rebuild, I generally keep the oil only for around 5000 kms.
With Molygen and Lifter Fluid, there was no initial tick at all and the engine sounds just as smooth as with M1. Let see how it looks when coming out at the next OCI.
The initial tick is from there being air above the oil pump, which, after you first start after an oil change, is purged.

Now that you have all the wizards in there, you are absolutely bound to see some PFM!
1697031723570.jpg

Run the MoS2....

Back