Lexus IS F Engine @ 220k miles

I'm going to have a UOA done here shortly after I do an oil change on my IS-F today. I'll be roughly 155K miles on my 2010. It's been over a year since my last OCI and it barely has 4K miles on this interval. Lot of short trips too and I was out of the country for awhile. Old lady drove it twice a month locally.

I'm going to have a UOA done here shortly after I do an oil change on my IS-F today. I'll be roughly 155K miles on my 2010. It's been over a year since my last OCI and it barely has 4K miles on this interval. Lot of short trips too and I was out of the country for awhile. Old lady drove it twice a month locally.

Just to update, never got around it as I had personal issues going on at the time as well as traveling for my job. I changed my oil from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum and recently switched it out with Kirkland Signature 5W-30. Pennzoil Platinum did fine but sort of thinned out as chatter from the valves were getting louder. I changed it roughly at 4,800 miles and it had been a year and three months since the last change. Car is still run smooth and strong.

What's more important than longevity is ensuring engine performance is maintained. Sure many can go easily 10k OCI.
However, more frequent OCI will keep engine operating as per OEM design.

Just to update, never got around it as I had personal issues going on at the time as well as traveling for my job. I changed my oil from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil Platinum and recently switched it out with Kirkland Signature 5W-30. Pennzoil Platinum did fine but sort of thinned out as chatter from the valves were getting louder. I changed it roughly at 4,800 miles and it had been a year and three months since the last change. Car is still run smooth and strong.
Were you getting any "valve chatter" from the M1 or recent Kirkland oil?

Toyota V8s are pretty easy on their oil - if it was serviced at a Lexus dealer, it probably saw a steady diet of TGMO or bulk major brand oil. Toyota I4s, especially the Corolla/Prius ones can start to burn oil around 140K. But cheap chassis parts man.

Lexus probably called for a 5W-30 for the F-spec 2UR-GSE(probably called the 2UR-GKS in the LC500 with an update to VVT-iW on the intake cams and Atkinson cycle).

Were you getting any "valve chatter" from the M1 or recent Kirkland oil?

I got valve chatter using M1 was the oil started to rack up miles and thin out. Pennzoil Platinum was pretty quiet too but started to get chatter towards the end of my interval. The 2UR engine is known to have fuel dilution so finding an oil that can defeat that is more important. Not sure about Kirkland yet as I just swapped to it.

I got valve chatter using M1 was the oil started to rack up miles and thin out. Pennzoil Platinum was pretty quiet too but started to get chatter towards the end of my interval. The 2UR engine is known to have fuel dilution so finding an oil that can defeat that is more important. Not sure about Kirkland yet as I just swapped to it.
I have a feeling you'll more than likely get the same results with Kirkland once the miles pile on.

Toyota V8s are pretty easy on their oil - if it was serviced at a Lexus dealer, it probably saw a steady diet of TGMO or bulk major brand oil. Toyota I4s, especially the Corolla/Prius ones can start to burn oil around 140K. But cheap chassis parts man.

Lexus probably called for a 5W-30 for the F-spec 2UR-GSE(probably called the 2UR-GKS in the LC500 with an update to VVT-iW on the intake cams and Atkinson cycle).
They are but I wouldn’t call this particular V8 easy on oil, if I remember correctly there’s quit an extensive set of timing chains in it, direct injected and port injected? I owned a 1UR-FE and that was no picnic.

I have a feeling you'll more than likely get the same results with Kirkland once the miles pile on.

Se of the particular owners who track their F's say to try out Quaker States Ultimate since it's loaded and should help combat fuel dilution. They had good results with Renewable Lubricants. I don't drive the vehicle much anymore because of where I live so I'm going to start doing annual oil changes unless I hit 5K miles first.

Many cars have fuel dilution. Open minded owners fixed (or band-aided forever) their fuel dilution issues by switching to "Euro" rated oils. Such as Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0W40. Many Honda 1.5T owners use that method pretty effectively to battle fuel dilution. And as a bonus they get a more stout oil, compared to a basic 5w30 full synthetic. Best part is these better oils are usually same price.

Back