lets see how bad you really hate Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrysler used Fram until something like 1999, iirc. I saw one FSM or owners manual that spec'd a HD filter in place of the regular one, and it was a Fram ExtraGuard.

I believe Champ does most of the domestic OEM assembly line filters. I don't believe that they do all that many OEM aftermarket filters. AC Delco appears to be it for them ..and that appears variable.

Here's my fram after 14K miles. It looks ugly ... but as postmortem didn't reveal any major defects. And YES us Canadians understand the "better value for dollar" of buying different filters than Fram, but there's not a lot of variety here. I'd use it again on my lousy Honda - but Mann filters for the Volvo.

It might be nobody is using them, but i have never seen a thread saying a Fram filter caused a problem or had a defect. Both WIX, and K&N have been written about having problems plus Pure One flow problems but , Mobil Amsoil, Bosch,etc seem to be problem free.It is like the wax thing FE thing and other myths that seem to hover around discussions re. oil.

Originally Posted By: labman
I take the success of Fram as proof that filters aren't very important and you may as well buy something cheap. Before cutting one open, I used them for years. If I lived in Canada and had little other choice, I would still sleep at night.

Lots of choice besides Fram up here.. Napa Gold's at NAPA or Wix at AutoValue.. probably more as well. The problem is the biggest and best known chain is Canadian Tire which is wall to wall Fram.. and I think Walmart is too.

I used FRAM oil filters for over 20 years and no issues. But, when I was using them, I was buying them for about a buck after sale/rebate along with a case or two of Havoline Oil for between .49c-.69c/qt. Now that both are as or more expensive than their competition, I buy the competition!

I have a bunch of PurolatorPremiumPlus oil filters from PepBoys FAR(limit 4) and also some PEAK motor oil(W/ne) and ProLine Filters(which are PPP), FAR.

Originally Posted By: DizzyEdge
Lots of choice besides Fram up here

It's not that there isn't selection, it's minute selection at Fram's price point. A Wix for my Accord would be prolly twice as much.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: DizzyEdge
Lots of choice besides Fram up here

It's not that there isn't selection, it's minute selection at Fram's price point. A Wix for my Accord would be prolly twice as much.

Shouldn't be. I've found Motorcraft to be CHEAPER. Check a Ford dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back