Bought my first Fram Endurance

A few months ago, I spun a PH10575 on my wife's Edge without concern. I've used plenty of orange cans without any issues, and the filtration is above average for an entry level filter.

Then I saw this thread:

So, it's been nagging at me a bit. Yesterday I went ahead and bought a Fram Endurance FE10575. Thanks to the unsealed boxes I was able to give it a good visual inspection prior to purchase. The louvers were nice and open. I will put it on the Edge mid OCI, skip changing it at 60k and run it for 15k up to 70k. The PH10575 already has 5k on it.

I will update with pics of the internals of the PH10575 for posterity as soon as I'm able. I don't expect it to look as bad as the one in the linked thread, but I'm curious to see what it does look like.

I put the Endurance on today and cut the PH10575. It was fine. Some had speculated the disfigured ones were due to high oil pressure in GM products. Mine was on a Ford. The bypass valve was very, very stiff. I could see how a vehicle that was pushing bypass could really put some pressure on the media as it would take a lot to go into relief.

Disregard the filter mutilation, I was mostly interested in how the media held up. Near the seam was the most wavy but nothing to be concerned about and certainly nothing like in the other thread I linked to.

I counted 40 pleats.

IMG_0571.jpeg
IMG_0569.jpeg
IMG_0570.jpeg

The bypass valve was very, very stiff. I could see how a vehicle that was pushing bypass could really put some pressure on the media as it would take a lot to go into relief.
Fram shows the bypass valve to be 16-28 PSI. So must first crack open at 16 PSI and be fully open at 28 PSI. Yes, higher RPM with cold thick oil can get to bypass valve pressure and put lots of stress on the media due to dP.

Fram shows the bypass valve to be 16-28 PSI. So must first crack open at 16 PSI and be fully open at 28 PSI. Yes, higher RPM with cold thick oil can put lots of stress on the media due to dP.

Yeah if you took a 50 ml syringe of straight 30 grade motor oil and put in in your freezer and get that oil really rather cold… Then if you pulled that syringe out and try to forcefully push that cold thick oil out fast… That would give one an idea how hard that oil would be on going through oil filter media.

Back