Left Lane Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Miami-Dade and Broward County have seen the F.H.P. and other agencies [that have take home cars] put on their overheads to the slow pokes in the left lane..After the slow poke pulls over on the left shoulder the Leo keeps right on going and the slow poke has to fight his way back onto the busy highway..I love when they do that.

55mph was an "emergency" measure to conserve fuel during the first oil embargo. As a side effect it was noticed that traffic deaths decreased so some genius political types kept it in place for the next decade and a half. Highway deaths have been on a steady decline since the 70's. The numbers went down dramatically during the early 70's because people were driving less due to the issues with fuel prices and supply. It was not JUST the reduction in speed.

It's widely believed that the reduction in fatalities had more to do with the cars themselves than the 55mph national speed limit.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
55mph was an "emergency" measure to conserve fuel during the first oil embargo. As a side effect it was noticed that traffic deaths decreased so some genius political types kept it in place for the next decade and a half. Highway deaths have been on a steady decline since the 70's. The numbers went down dramatically during the early 70's because people were driving less due to the issues with fuel prices and supply. It was not JUST the reduction in speed.

No because the miles driven in the US is higher than eve. I attribute most of it to the newer, safer cars with the stronger (heavier) frames people are always complaining about. More airbags which again people are always complaining about. The list goes on. Basically a lot of the stuff bitog complains about is what is saving lives, not people driving less or slow

V this is new =| must be this browser or something

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SIII(tm), an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R

No because the miles driven in the US is higher than eve. I attribute most of it to the newer, safer cars with the stronger (heavier) frames people are always complaining about. More airbags which again people are always complaining about. The list goes on. Basically a lot of the stuff bitog complains about is what is saving lives, not people driving less or slow

Anything but learning to drive with skill!!!!

Originally Posted By: Nick R

You missed the point: miles went down during the Oil embargo in the early 70s because the price of gas quadrupled in a few months. The "emergency 55 MPH speed limit" was imposed during this crisis. 55 was falsely credited with reduced fatalities.

This was long before you were born...but some of us remember...

Over here, it's usually women who drive like that and "occupy" the fast lane. Flash to pass is the norm here, and unlike most people who flash like a Christmas tree, I flash once if I feel the drive ahead hasn't noticed me. Nevertheless, sometimes they are so stubborn, I end up illegally overtaking from the right.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
No because the miles driven in the US is higher than eve.

No, miles driven have been falling. Fewer miles driven.

"showing vehicle miles driven on a population adjusted basis."

I take that as a "per-capita" number. So total miles driven by Americans are likely as high as ever (our population sure hasn't decreased), but miles-per-person may be lower than before. You could maniupulate the stats to look at accidents per-mile or per-capita to show different numbers and spout an increase or decrease. All depends on your agenda.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Sounds like an Ohio driver.. i swear everytime i go anywhere i see someone with Ohio plates that cannot drive a lick.. its always a chuckle

Funny, we've thought the same thing of drivers with cars sporting Indiana plates everywhere we've gone.
I especially liked the Indiana "Crayola" plate.
Seemed to depict the driving ability of Hoosiers pretty well.
A number of Indianans seem to have to commute to Ohio to find jobs.
They tend to get in the way on our roads.
Ohioan driving is indefensible. Ohioans are the worst drivers on the planet and a blight upon the roads.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Sounds like an Ohio driver.. i swear everytime i go anywhere i see someone with Ohio plates that cannot drive a lick.. its always a chuckle

Funny, we've thought the same thing of drivers with cars sporting Indiana plates everywhere we've gone.
I especially liked the Indiana "Crayola" plate.
Seemed to depict the driving ability of Hoosiers pretty well.
A number of Indianans seem to have to commute to Ohio to find jobs.
They tend to get in the way on our roads.
Ohioan driving is indefensible. Ohioans are the worst drivers on the planet and a blight upon the roads.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that award goes to New Jersey and Massachusetts drivers. Correction, Massachussetts drivers just don't care, NJ drivers just flat out can't drive
grin.gif

I believe if we have a feature to automatically disable cruise control when a vehicle is at the fastest lane, it would solve 80% of all lane blocker problems. Before that, I think passing on the right is as good as it gets.

Quote:
So total miles driven by Americans are likely as high as ever (our population sure hasn't decreased), but miles-per-person may be lower than before.

No, total miles is down also the last few years. Take a look here where you can see the charts better. Miles driven.

nick rhode island has taken the crown for bad drivers,they don t think signs mean them.rear view mirror for hanging stuff.

This scenario just has wrong written all over it. The left lane camper was wrong for parking in the left lane, but there's something here even more disturbing. I've noticed a trend whereas people believe they have the right to speed, and if another driver is in front of them holding them up, then they believe that gives them the right to tailgate. Tailgating is NEVER okay. Let me say that again....tailgating is NEVER okay...I don't care what the situation is, you NEVER have the right to tailgate another driver. If they're holding you up, pass them, back off, or take another route, but you don't have the right to tailgate just because another driver is driving slower than you want to drive. I get just as frustrated by the LLCers as anyone else, but you gotta use your head and keep your cool....tailgating makes you just as bad as any other roadway violator...

Last edited:
Thermo1223

You're wrong that tailgating is being a yard off another driver's back bumper. Tailgating is being closer than one car length per every 10 MPH of speed. So if you're closer than 7 car lengths behind another driver at 70 MPH you're tailgating...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Thermo1223

You're wrong that tailgating is being a yard off another driver's back bumper. Tailgating is being closer than one car length per every 10 MPH of speed. So if you're closer than 7 car lengths behind another driver at 70 MPH you're tailgating...

Come to New England. A single car length at any speed is normal; anything more than that and it's a generous space. At least around the cities; out in the rural areas it does get to be several car lengths.

Originally Posted By: supton
Thermo1223

Come to New England. A single car length at any speed is normal; anything more than that and it's a generous space. At least around the cities; out in the rural areas it does get to be several car lengths.

Driving location has nothing to do with following distance...if everybody there follows that closely, then they're all tailgating...bigger numbers of people doing things wrong doesn't make the wrong act okay....

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Don't know what he is "passing" at 45mph in a 65mph zone.

He is passing the time

Originally Posted By: default
I've adopted what I call the "Detroit method" by driving faster than everybody else, I stay ahead of any danger. YMMV in areas with a lot of traffic police.

I'm usually going 75-85 depending on traffic, average traffic speed, and how bad the cops are.

I used this while riding in Austin. There were alot of gravel trucks just south of town, and a golfball sized rock at 70 will deflate you very quickly. Drop a gear and disappear was used alot. Inattentive, walking, etc. Just pass them. If the cop stops me, I state my case that I was in fear for my life, and made the decision to protect myself rather than obey the law, and take my licks.

Thermo1223

You're wrong that tailgating is being a yard off another driver's back bumper...

If your definition of tailgating is for some reason true, then my choices in the morning are to, 1. tailgate, or 2. double my drive time because I might as well be riding a bike. Anything over two car lengths screams cut me off. I won't start on passing lanes here in Japan, I think there is a 10,000 letter limit per post. I apply the two second rule or similar when traffic is light, but the rules change in traffic, even in polite Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back