LED Bulbs-One Year Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if it's a closed fixture hanging from the ceiling there may be no problem? I have two different fixtures high up in my foyer that hang from the ceiling. A big part of the appeal is long life, because changing those bulbs when they burn out is a pain.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
That assumes that you're willing to settle for the cheap CFL and their long warm up time and poor color rendering. It's also important to note that there are a number of styles in which CFLs are not available, not well suited for, and non-dimmable CFLs should never be used with dimmable switches. Needless to say you won't find either dimmable CFLs, 3 way CFLs, or GU10 CFLs in your 88 cent price range, and converting switches and housings over increases the cost.

Until LEDs reduce in price--CFLs serve my needs just fine, there is no way I am going to shell out hundreds of dollars on LEDs. I have not experienced LONG warm up times with CFLs (likely due to the fact the temperatures in Houston are above median most of the time) and the lights that have dimmers are not frequently used so incandescent bulbs are still in use there (with spares in the stock). The ROI for LEDs in my case would be close to the 5-7 year mark versus CFLs and a lot will change in that time span--namely the cost of LEDs.
11.gif

Same here. I compared cost last night of CFL and LED's. I can get a 8 pack of CFL's for $14 and 6 pack of LED's for $44, 13 watt for the CFL and 9.5-10 watt for the LED. Going to take along time to recoup the cost versus CFL! I've been using CFL's since 01-02 and except a couple bad apple's most last a long time. I put some in our current house when I moved in late 04 early 05 and all but 2 are still going.

Now for the RV that's another story.. switched out 20 bulbs for LED's for less than $40. Since we parking lot camp on occasion that really conserve's the battery.

I'm also in a place where I just can't financially justify LED's over CFL's. My house is predominately lit by in-ceiling can lights with flood lights in them. There are somewhere between 30 to 40 total.

I stock up on CFL floods about 2x per year. In Wisconsin there is a program called Focus on Energy that runs a promotion on CFL bulbs that takes them to uber cheap prices. It's something crazy like $3 for 6 CFL flood bulbs at Costco when the promotion is on. It's hard to compete with that from a cost/benefit perspective.

I have purchased one of the LED can light conversion kits to try out. I like it, and would love to do our whole house in them, but at $20 per kit the payback is challenging. A side benefit to the kit is that it seals against the ceiling drywall and should prevent air infiltration from the attic. Since our cans don't seem to be sealed as well as I'd like, that could be another potential financial benefit. I haven't tried to quantify that yet though.

Can lights are generally not sealed too tightly. In the past, they should not have been because the incandescent bulbs produced a lot of heat. In CFL or LED applications you can seal them tighter.

I don't know why there's so much negativity toward CFL's. Until LED's came down in price I used a lot of them and had only a few minor gripes. I had gripes about incandescents as well. The ideal for most of us is probably a mix of all three types.

The CFLs are nice for lower power consumption. When I moved into my current apartment (I pay the power bill - not included), I converted the whole thing to 13W GE CFL bulbs. I generally don't leave the lights on for too long - but it is nice to not have to worry about driving the bill up with them.

The problem I have had is they don't seem to last too long. Once I got the cat, I found out she likes to yowl if it gets dark. So I often leave on a light in the winter. I found the ones that were left on for extended periods of time eventually burnt out.

I'm glad I saved the incandescent bulbs when I moved in to the apartment; I have been slowly replacing the failed CFLs with incandescents again.

The heating doesn't really do much for me as they are in ceiling enclosures. All I would be doing is heating my upstairs neighbors' floors. I am a nice guy, but I don't want to be that nice.

LED bulbs are not cheap - that's for sure. I will probably end up buying more CFLs to replace the burn out ones. I just don't use the lights enough to justify spending the money for LED bulbs. If I was in an application where I would be running them all the time then ... I wouldn't hesitate.

The reason you don't want cans with incandescents in them sealed too tightly is because they will get too hot. It isn't about losing heat.

I like the lighting with the LED. My payback would be if the LED last as long it states. I've had my share of really short CFL lifespan and others that has lasted. Also had two CFL that had a burnt smell the base kind of melted. That didn't sit well with me for safety reason. So I took a chance with the LED. That was the reason going with LED over CFL.

I picked it up cheap so I took a chance. But I do like the LED over the CFL in lighting. All in all the LED from Costco has some good solid weight on it so I think it has a good heatsinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back