Leaking Gear box - 2003 Suburban 5.3

My PS gear box is starting to leak on my 03 Suburban 1500 5.3.
I can't seem to find AC Delco or GM original and the Cardones are all remans.
Any recommendations on which is a reliable replacement?
I am thinking to replace all the steering components while I am taking it apart. The inner tie rod boots are done, so I need to replace those anyways. Detroit axle has a kit of all these parts, but I like to use Delco or GM original when I can...after all it has lasted 234k miles from the factory.
PS pump and cooler were replaced last year.

I am investing into this vehicle to keep it longer. Having troubles finding a reasonable replacement. I want the same generation, so figured I could dump some money into this one to keep it going at least a few more years, so I want to do it right.

I never had any good long term results with just replaciing a leaking seal. Something always caused the seal to leak.
If you cannot find OEM's, don't sell the Cardones short. I installed one around 2004 in my old F150. It has been leak and trouble free since then.

Reactions: wlk
Here’s what’s currently available from Rock Auto. I have it toggled to CDN $ so multiply by 0.7 . Seeing the truck is 21 years old I take it GM does not get many calls for new units and has stopped making them.

0287EF53-A26D-4F5D-A616-D976643BD54A.jpeg
02012E06-623E-48F9-AD70-3461A12A365C.jpeg

Here’s what’s currently available from Rock Auto. I have it toggled to CDN $ so multiply by 0.7 . Seeing the truck is 21 years old I take it GM does not get many calls for new units and has stopped making them.

View attachment 204816View attachment 204817
If'n you're Canadian call Cancraft in B.C. and ask if they can help. Truly. And if you do, report back what they say, please.

If you care about the vehicle it's worth pursuing a quality rebuild from someone other than the huge turn 'n burn rebuilders

If'n you're Canadian call Cancraft in B.C. and ask if they can help. Truly. And if you do, report back what they say, please.

If you care about the vehicle it's worth pursuing a quality rebuild from someone other than the huge turn 'n burn rebuilders
Thanks. Mine is a 2008 and is functioning well at this time. I’ll take note of this and reach out to them come that day. Good point, a custom rebuilder might be the way to go.

Been through this. Find a good used oem box. I paid the $$ and had mine rebuilt by Lee, worst money I have ever spent, this was just after he sold his shop- first box was great but leaked, had it warrantied by the 'new' guys and what a pos it turned out to be. So looking for a good used box as I cannot justify sinking a boatload of cash into a dodgy unit.

Seems like options are a little limited here.
Toggling between going with a junk yard one that appears to be dry on the seals, (but who knows that history or internal wear on this) or doing a Cardone from a local AA to take advantage of lifetime warranty in case there is a problem.
BBB claims they replace bearings, but don't know what they replace them with.
I try to avoid online with these thinks, due to core return processes and warranty issues/downtime if there is a problem

Seems like options are a little limited here.
Toggling between going with a junk yard one that appears to be dry on the seals, (but who knows that history or internal wear on this) or doing a Cardone from a local AA to take advantage of lifetime warranty in case there is a problem.
BBB claims they replace bearings, but don't know what they replace them with.
I try to avoid online with these thinks, due to core return processes and warranty issues/downtime if there is a problem
Yeah I can only really speak to 2nd Gen Rams which are VERY problematic and the corporate store rebuilds are INCREDIBLY hit-or-miss, AND they range from only from acceptable to terrible -- never good or great.

I also don't understand how some start out acceptable and get noticeably worse in a year or less. I mean, I don't know exactly what's wearing unless they just cheat the worm gear adjustment to mask some play, but this causes premature wear.

Anyway, yeah, O'Reilly or AutoZone will keep handing you new boxes but swapping junk for junk can get old. Be sure to have a nice pitman arm puller :D

I've finally just stopped trying to warranty the boxes for the Rams -- it's just the definition of insanity.

But hopefully it's not as bad with GM IFS boxes.

Best bet is a local rebuilder. We have one in Ft. Worth that did a few for me for under $70 and they are perfect and not an unknown rebuild. That price was all seals and proper adjustments. I have done remans as well but, like others have said, Cardone is a no for me. I actually can't make up my mind who is worse Cardone or Dorman lol

Reactions: D60
This is on old Sag box but if you wanna see a rebuilder who cares check out the following vid. Watch the first couple minutes where he explains how the castings "egg" and then jump to ~34:00 to their custom fixture for holding the box plumb and stay in it for the roller burnishing of the bushing they make.

Really cool.

Note: you'll only find this exciting if you're a machinist, enjoy detail work, or just enjoy watching detailed mechanical processes

edit: I promise you Cardone et al is NOT doing this!!!!

Yeah I can only really speak to 2nd Gen Rams which are VERY problematic and the corporate store rebuilds are INCREDIBLY hit-or-miss, AND they range from only from acceptable to terrible -- never good or great.

I also don't understand how some start out acceptable and get noticeably worse in a year or less. I mean, I don't know exactly what's wearing unless they just cheat the worm gear adjustment to mask some play, but this causes premature wear.

Anyway, yeah, O'Reilly or AutoZone will keep handing you new boxes but swapping junk for junk can get old. Be sure to have a nice pitman arm puller :D

I've finally just stopped trying to warranty the boxes for the Rams -- it's just the definition of insanity.

But hopefully it's not as bad with GM IFS boxes.
The boxes should be VERY similar saginaw. There was a guy on the dodge forums (see above) that rebuilt dodge boxes and would have done my GM box if shipping wasn't so retarded- I don't believe he is active anymore- brinelled in the main bushing.

• Love
Reactions: D60
Anyone with experience on the Red Head or Blue Tops?
Blue Top is 380 which includes shipping and return label for the core.
In a perfect world, I could just count on a rebuilt Cardone for 193.00 from AA, but that sounds like a craps shoot that it would not leak or have tolerance issues and even bigger craps shoot that it won't be a problem 1-2 years down the road.
Overall I am happy with my steering as-is, not happy with the leak, so matching what I have is my benchmark.

My PS gear box is starting to leak on my 03 Suburban 1500 5.3.
I can't seem to find AC Delco or GM original and the Cardones are all remans.
Any recommendations on which is a reliable replacement?
I am thinking to replace all the steering components while I am taking it apart. The inner tie rod boots are done, so I need to replace those anyways. Detroit axle has a kit of all these parts, but I like to use Delco or GM original when I can...after all it has lasted 234k miles from the factory.
PS pump and cooler were replaced last year.

I am investing into this vehicle to keep it longer. Having troubles finding a reasonable replacement. I want the same generation, so figured I could dump some money into this one to keep it going at least a few more years, so I want to do it right.
Are you talking about the Hydroboost, when you refer to the PS gearbox?

They make rebuild kits for the Hydroboost unit it is not difficult to do. Remaned is about all you will find.

Are you talking about the Hydroboost, when you refer to the PS gearbox?

They make rebuild kits for the Hydroboost unit it is not difficult to do. Remaned is about all you will find.
Mine does not have hydroboost.
I am referring to the steering gear box itself.

Back