Need Some HVAC Advice 2003 Suburban

What is the ambient temperature? The high side looks a smidge low but if it's only 65-70 outside then i think it's normal.
I'm used to seeing the high side over 200psi but i usually do a/c work when it's 90 outside
Funny you ask. Yesterday was actually a cooler day than it has been here in FLA. It was probably close to 70-75.

On a 90° F day I usually look for the pressure to get to 250 on the high side if I'm topping a 134A system off. Then you want to shut off the supply to the gauges, and then drain what's in the lines and gauges by slowly allowing it to go to the low side before disconnecting.

Finally got around to checking out the ac clutch. Mine would only stay engaged for a little while and then cut out, and it is getting hot now, so had to be done.
I was at a junk yard and found one easily accessible and in decent condition, so I removed it and learned the process. Was relatively easy and once snap rings were removed, components came apart easily.
Mine, not so much. I got the snap ring off without issue, but the pulley was a struggle. I thought I missed something, watched a video and I did not miss anything. Just needed some persuasion and Kroil. Some back and forth with a pry bar and got it off, but there was an odd looking "washer" that came off as well. I found out what that was when I went to put it back on. All was going well until I went to put the last snap ring back on and could not find the ridge to recess the snap ring. Turns out that part sheared off during the removal process. That was the "washer" looking part.
Looks like a new compressor is in order.
The clutch was clearly shot. It looked like what rotors and pads would look if someone wore the pads down to bare metal and kept driving. Really deep grooves and high ridges, which explains why I had troubles getting a decent feeler gauge measurement for the gap.
Really bummed I broke the AC spindle. Now it is going to be a lot of expensive work.

Back