Late model Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that own this make and model, tell me all about it. I'd be interested in what you have to say about the 4 cyl., V-6, 2 door or 4. I want to hear it all. Reliability, fuel economy, ease of maintenance/repairs, and what ever else your ownership experience has taught you.

How late a model?
Our '12 Accord has been flawless and has averaged more than 30 mpg, with a best tank consumption of 34.9 mpg.
Impressive, considering the weight of the car.
My mother has an '03 she's had since new.
Only about 60K after ten years, but it has been completely trouble free.
Before the K24, we've had both a '97 2.2, a '96 2.2 VTEC and we still have a '99 2.3 VTEC, as well as a few Civics.
These were all very good engines, long lived and economical.
The only rap on the engines prior to the K24, Which debuted with the '03 MY, is the need to replace the timing belt around 100K.
We have had seven Hondas and have never been less than pleased with the performance and life of a Honda engine.

We have an 03 Accord V6.

It has 80k miles on it now. The only things that have needed to be done were rear brake pads (twice now) and front brake pads (once). Other than that, timing belt replacement, transmission fluid change, and oil changes.

Changing brake pads is a breeze, although it's not too difficult on most cars. Accessing spark plugs is also a breeze, although I haven't replaced them yet.

The cabin air filter is behind the glovebox, takes about 5 minutes to get out and is good to replace occasionally, as ours picks up a fairly large amount of debris.

The engine has fairly horrendous piston slap for the first 10-15 minutes of driving, and has for some time now. I'm unsure as to how it will impact engine life. I do hear many other V6 Hondas with similar piston slap.

Our lifetime fuel economy is about 22-23 mpg, which is mainly "around town" driving of under 40 mph with frequent stops and short trips (under 5 miles). On the open road, it averages 32-33 mpg at 65-70 mph and has done as well as 37 mpg over several tanks when I drove it to Pittsburgh a few years ago. I would consider the fuel economy excellent, especially for a fairly high horsepower engine (240 or so, if I remember right).

My '09 Sedan LX 5-speed has been and still is a great car at 41k.

On the K24 4cyl the 2008, some 2009 and some 2010 have premature VTC actuator failure that will cause a harsh rattle at start up for a few seconds until it receives full oil pressure. This fails at very random intervals for many people. The TSB for this mentions certain VIN's but many have had the same issue outside of the TSB's indicated models -- some also have claimed that more models are now included. I'm going on 41k and have began to hear it randomly. I need to stop by the dealer. It is covered under power train.

Also, some have oil consumption issues with the K24 that in some cases is resolved by a PCM update. Some have had the block replaced by Honda.

On the V6 automatics that are equipped with VCM, some report oil consumption issues. The V6 6-speed manuals (only coupes) do not have VCM.

The automatic transmissions like their fluid changes ever 30k or so. Especially with the V6's and young drivers that "ride 'em hard and put 'em away wet".

Rear brakes were wearing super fast but swapping the slide pins and installing some clips that will assist in pushing the pads away from the rotors along with better ceramic pads seemed to alleviate the issue.

Overall though, its a very sound car. I report NO oil consumption issues at 41k and use TGMO Syn 0W-20 and a Honda A01 Filtec filter until the Maintenance Minder hits about 30%.

My UltraGauge ATM reports 27.9 MPG which is about 40% highway and 60% city driving.

It may sound like a lot of stuff but many blow the issues out of proportion. They're great cars. The 2011-2012's do probably have most of the bugs worked out.

The new 9th generation 2013+ have for the 4cyl either a CVT or 6-speed manual, for the 6cyl either a 6-speed automatic or 6-speed manual (coupe only).

Last edited:
You want a 4 cylinder with a timing chain. The V6's have timing belts that have to be replaced.

02 crv at 198k-no problem,wear item replacements-filters,pads,wiper blades,battery,fluids(O.E.)
bulbs.01 accord with 210k traded,02 accord with 230k traded
both same as above plus timing belt components every 100k.
those are the ones i maintainned from co workers and friend.
06 accord with 70k no problem(mine).00 crv with 167k(totaled)
owned by my niece-no problem.97 accord 140k gave it to my sister
still going.but axles,rotor,radiator,part of brake line replaced,
timing belt components,plugs all wear out item replaced.All of them are 4 cylinder.

My brother in law has a 2005 Accord Coupe with the K24. His has something like 150k hard miles, in the hills of Pittsburgh no less, and runs like a top. You can't go wrong with an Accord.

We have a 2006 Accord SE with 5 speed trans.

Zero problems in150K miles, just regular scheduled maintenance.

Uses half quart of oil every 7000 miles.

I drove an 89 Accord LXi coupe for 23 years and 355,000 miles. due to poor highway design, it hydroplaned last year resulting in enough damage for me to finally give it up.

If you want to know anything specific, PM me. I had very intimate knowledge of the car.

Originally Posted By: cchase
We have an 03 Accord V6.

It has 80k miles on it now. The only things that have needed to be done were rear brake pads (twice now) and front brake pads (once). Other than that, timing belt replacement, transmission fluid change, and oil changes.

Changing brake pads is a breeze, although it's not too difficult on most cars. Accessing spark plugs is also a breeze, although I haven't replaced them yet.

The cabin air filter is behind the glovebox, takes about 5 minutes to get out and is good to replace occasionally, as ours picks up a fairly large amount of debris.

The engine has fairly horrendous piston slap for the first 10-15 minutes of driving, and has for some time now. I'm unsure as to how it will impact engine life. I do hear many other V6 Hondas with similar piston slap.

Our lifetime fuel economy is about 22-23 mpg, which is mainly "around town" driving of under 40 mph with frequent stops and short trips (under 5 miles). On the open road, it averages 32-33 mpg at 65-70 mph and has done as well as 37 mpg over several tanks when I drove it to Pittsburgh a few years ago. I would consider the fuel economy excellent, especially for a fairly high horsepower engine (240 or so, if I remember right).

I spend a bit of time driving an 05 Accord. They do piston slap quite bad. But, I've seen (and test drove) a few others that do it too.

The 3.0 J series has got to be one of the SMOOTHEST engines I've ever drove. I'm just amazed at how smooth it is. And there's torque everywhere. It's not geared extremely low, but I've accidentally lit it up taking off from a stoplight. Going from either of my vehicle to that, it's hard to keep it at 55!

Not too happy about the timing belt, or the piston slap, though. I've heard that when the VTEC kicks in, the engine is like a rocket. But from what I've seen, it's perfectly adequate for even hard acceleration below 3500 RPM.

THey also do this odd thing engaging in drive, where it engages twice? They all do that too. The transmission worries me as they are a bit problematic.

Never able to push it past 30MPG, but I did get pretty close a few times!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Not too happy about the timing belt, or the piston slap, though. I've heard that when the VTEC kicks in, the engine is like a rocket. But from what I've seen, it's perfectly adequate for even hard acceleration below 3500 RPM.

The 3.5L V-6 in our Acura does very well also, and makes plenty of torque everywhere in the RPM range. The large cam on these engines engages right at 4,400 RPM (at least in the MDX it does). You can hear it and feel it. Instead of running out of breath at higher engine speeds, it pulls as hard to redline as it does from idle. It's a great system.

Ours doesn't have any piston slap problems, though some oils do run quieter than others. I have QSUD in it right now and it's pretty darn quiet. That and M1 0W-20 were about the quietest. M1 0W-30 wasn't as quiet as the 0W-20 was.

THey also do this odd thing engaging in drive, where it engages twice? They all do that too. The transmission worries me as they are a bit problematic.

Every Honda V-6 transmission I've driven has done this, with the exception of much newer ones (2010 or so). Our MDX does it also. Just something they do I guess. Our CR-V's I-4 transmission doesn't do it, and I've never felt a Honda I-4 transmission do it. My mother-in-law's 2004 TL would do it, but her 2010 TL doesn't do it. My friend's 2010 Odyssey also doesn't do it. They must have changed something internally.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The 3.5L V-6 in our Acura does very well also, and makes plenty of torque everywhere in the RPM range. The large cam on these engines engages right at 4,400 RPM (at least in the MDX it does). You can hear it and feel it. Instead of running out of breath at higher engine speeds, it pulls as hard to redline as it does from idle. It's a great system.

Ours doesn't have any piston slap problems, though some oils do run quieter than others. I have QSUD in it right now and it's pretty darn quiet. That and M1 0W-20 were about the quietest. M1 0W-30 wasn't as quiet as the 0W-20 was.

Every Honda V-6 transmission I've driven has done this, with the exception of much newer ones (2010 or so). Our MDX does it also. Just something they do I guess. Our CR-V's I-4 transmission doesn't do it, and I've never felt a Honda I-4 transmission do it. My mother-in-law's 2004 TL would do it, but her 2010 TL doesn't do it. My friend's 2010 Odyssey also doesn't do it. They must have changed something internally.

I was worried that it was some sort of serious problem with the transmission. I was reading on driveaccord and some people are saying that the transmission engages 3rd gear then 1st gear.

I wonder if it does it when put in D2 since that puts it in 2nd gear to start.

It is sort of true that it engages 3rd gear when 1st is selected.

There are three "gears" on the mainshaft. 3rd, 4th, 5th, and Reverse. Most of the power transmission through the unit is via the mainshaft 3rd gear. This gear, however, is splined with the mainshaft, so this part does not rely on clutches. The mainshaft 4th gear engages/disengages with the mainshaft via the 4th gear clutch, so it's not really a "gear" in the sense of a splined gear. The 5th and Reverse gears engage/disengage with the mainshaft via the 5th gear clutch, so here again, they aren't really "gears", but simply clutches to transmit torque.

So for much of the transmission operation (or at least the first three gears), torque through the transmission flows through the splined mainshaft 3rd gear. This does not change if the transmission is put into the 2 range from Park (though the "double engagement" into the forward gear may be gone, I don't know).

Interestingly, hydraulic pressure is applied to the 1st gear clutch in all forward drive gears. But because the rotational speed of gears 2 through 5 exceed that of 1st gear, torque is not routed through the 1st gear clutch in gears 2 through 5 because it is cut-off with a 1-way clutch.

That makes it different than a regular automatic right?

Yes; a Honda automatic works very much like a manual transmission, just automated instead of you rowing the gear shifter. There are obviously other differences, but it's a manual transmission in concept.

What makes them fail so early.

Some of the earlier units apparently had insufficient lubrication to some of the bearings and/or gears. Oil jet kits were installed in those and the transmissions themselves were redesigned in the 2003-2005 timeframe, depending on the particular vehicle model.

Consumer Reports shows the Accord V-6 transmission reliability to be a full black dot (worst) in 2003 and 2004. In 2005, it jumps to a half red dot (second to the top) and in 2006 to current it has a full red dot (top score). The surveys they receive from subscribers clearly show a line in the sand between 2004 and 2005; I frankly wouldn't lose any sleep over your '05 Accord's transmission.

The consensus seems to be that the last generation Accord (8th, 2008-2012) devolved and was rather ho-hum in performance, fuel economy, and reliability relative to the generally high Honda standards. By most critical accounts they are back on track with the 2013. Time will tell how the new design fares in the real world. Direct injection and a CVT are new to the 2013 redesign.

One thing that cannot be gleaned from critical reviews is how a vehicle will age, and in this regard I think the Accord, and Hondas in general, excel. My '04 4cyl with 116000 miles drives like new, has required the minimum in maintenance (oil and 1 brake job), and has averaged 31 mpg in mixed driving over the last 45k. It has been as dependable as the sun rising in the east. Zero mechanical failures.

With the use of advanced technology from conception to execution in the manufacturing process I think this is the new norm across vehicle makes and not necessarily exclusive to Honda.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
The consensus seems to be that the last generation Accord (8th, 2008-2012) devolved and was rather ho-hum in performance, fuel economy, and reliability relative to the generally high Honda standards. By most critical accounts they are back on track with the 2013. Time will tell how the new design fares in the real world. Direct injection and a CVT are new to the 2013 redesign.

One thing that cannot be gleaned from critical reviews is how a vehicle will age, and in this regard I think the Accord, and Hondas in general, excel. My '04 4cyl with 116000 miles drives like new, has required the minimum in maintenance (oil and 1 brake job), and has averaged 31 mpg in mixed driving over the last 45k. It has been as dependable as the sun rising in the east. Zero mechanical failures.

With the use of advanced technology from conception to execution in the manufacturing process I think this is the new norm across vehicle makes and not necessarily exclusive to Honda.

I spent some time under the Accord trying to figure out why the rear brakes are squawking (different story) and was really impressed with the engineering in the rear suspension! 5 control amrs. Explains why it is such a good handler!

I don't care for the high cost of maintenance. It's doe for a T-Belt and valve adjustment. I'm glad both of my cars have timing chains and don't need that extensive maintenance. Also don't care for the piston slap when cold.

It's a nice car and in MUCH better shape than my 01 Taurus was at 7 years old. My Taurus didn't make 80K before it rusted in half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back