laptop stays at "acquiring ip address"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently arrived at a hotel.I tried getting into the wifi and all the bottom right monitors say is "aqcuiring ip address" and it never connects The signal strenght says it's "very good".What can i check to fix this? XP

probably in need of some kind of handshake/authentication in order to proceed.

This may be unique to the hotel you are dealing with primarily. Contact the hotel consierge for a "cheat sheet" for wifi connectivity and see how far you can go with that.

Q.

If what Quest says does not work, theres one more thing to consider. Have you tried opening up Internet Explorer to see if it automatically opens to some sort of a usage agreement? Basically a web page with a bunch of rules that you have to agree to before you will be granted internet access.

sxg6,

That usually come after you already get an ip address. What it seems like is that the DHCP server isn't responding because it couldn't recognize this laptop's MAC address, so the physical connection is there, but authentication doesn't go through.

I've always have had problems in this particular hotel,while I've seen other peoples' laptops work good.Whenever i right-click on the bottom right icon,i click on repair and it'll just say renewing ip address,but nothing happens still.It stayed this way for about 6 hours and nothing.

Perhaps the same wireless network name (SID) is already present in your laptop's list of networks and it is trying to use invalid authentication?

I believe there is a box somewhere where you can uncheck the "validate certificate" part in the advanced wifi settings. I believe you will be able to connect to the internet then. I had a similar problem in awhile ago, I believe that got rid of it.

I had several problems like this when traveling too with an older laptop and XP.

Picked up a new laptop and with the latest version of Windows and installed Linux in a dual boot mode.

Now have no connection problems in either Windows or Linux.

If you are having trouble at the motel, often McDonald's now has free Wi-Fi. Many other places now have free Wi-Fi too.

One more thing that couldn't hurt is to check and see if there is a newer driver out for your wireless card.

Theres many different ways to find out who makes your wireless card, I'm not sure which you'd be most comfortable with. You can check the bios, by entering the bios setup when you first boot up your machine. When your machine is booted up, you can also go to Control Panel - System - Device manager - Network Adapters. Those would be the first two ways I would try.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Theres many different ways to find out who makes your wireless card, I'm not sure which you'd be most comfortable with. You can check the bios, by entering the bios setup when you first boot up your machine. When your machine is booted up, you can also go to Control Panel - System - Device manager - Network Adapters. Those would be the first two ways I would try.

The WiFi adaptor is not going to be listed in his BIOS.

OP:

Device Mangler (as sxg6 suggested) is the best place to start. Expand "Network Adaptors" and look for your WiFi adaptor. If it is "branded" (ie, it says "DELL Wireless Adaptor") then you can go to the "Drivers" tab, then go to "Driver Details" and provide the list of the files and I can tell you what you have.

-Chris

Depends on the bios and how the card is connected. Mini-pci wireless cards do typically show up in the bios from what i've seen

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Depends on the bios and how the card is connected. Mini-pci wireless cards do typically show up in the bios from what i've seen

I only ever see it on DELL notebooks. Any of the ASUS, HP, Compaq notebooks I've seen do not show the wireless card in the BIOS. And I've seen thousands of Notebooks. Not saying there aren't others besides DELL, but based on my experience, it is a rare thing to see. Device Manager is a much more reliable choice.

And just in case it may be relevant, the vast majority (99%) of Notebooks I deal with are Intel-based.

If your experience has shown you otherwise, then perhaps this is an item upon which our experiences simply differ.

I agree with what you're saying. Even though I have seen wireless cards listed in the bios, it is not very common and not the most reliable method. The device manager on the other hand, is much more reliable and the best choice for this situation.

Well, i went to the website and they have this update software tool, but i dont have it.I talked to a tech there and he said to d/l this so that i can have it. problem is, it doesn't do nothing.It says that it did not run successfully (9994)http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-66744-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01663831&swlinkmsg=300&ts=true#thankyou

Last edited:
at most hotels you need to go through their main page, usually hosted by ibahn or similar to actually get an IP address and move to access the internet.

SOmetimes it doesnt work. More than once Ive had to call and request that equipment be reset.

Id try to restart a few times, reset your equipment, do a dhcp release and renew, make sure you have no manual settings set, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back