Hit the used laptop lotto

Haven't needed a laptop in many years until recently when I started to do GM Techline Connect / SPS stuff. My 2010-era laptop was not cutting it, so I'd have to drag my desktop out to the shop each time. That got really old really quick, but fortunately the wife did me a favor by cracking the screen of the old one by piling stuff on top of it (she was the only one that used it), which negated the "we have one that works just fine" complaint she'd give me if I went to buy a new one.

When it comes to laptops, I've had much better luck with 3-5 year old off lease business systems, I feel you get more for the money. My criteria was cheap, expandable, and a generation CPU new enough to support Windows 11 natively (without hacks / bypasses).

I found a Dell Precision 7530 with sort of low/middle of the road specs for $300 - I5-8300H CPU, 16GB DDR4, 512GB M.2 SSD, discreet Quadro P1000 GPU, 15.6" screen, backlit keyboard were the nuts and bolts. The beauty of these workstation laptops is there's 3 M.2 SSD bays, and 4 RAM slots and they typically come with more ports and ethernet. I figured I could make a very competent system (32gb RAM, 1TB+ storage) with little extra money.

What I actually received was a Xeon E2176M 6-core CPU with Quadro P2000, otherwise same specs. Battery health reported in the BIOS is still good and seems to hold a charge / run down just fine. It's always a gamble with off-lease units whether you'll actually receive the OEM power adapter, but that was there too. Looking up a comparably equipped used system on Amazon / Ebay, they sell for about $700-750, nowhere near the $300 I paid.

Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked and just bought another for the wife-- we were going to share the first one, but I cringe at the idea. This is too good a deal to pass up. There's no guarantee the next one will be spec'd above what is advertised, but the wife doesn't need the extra CPU/GPU horsepower for her sewing / craft / sublimation stuff, which is about all she uses a laptop for.

Last edited:
For 300 that's a steal. Those precision laptops are actually well made. I paid $700 for a low end dell with 8gb of ram and 512gb ssd but with a really cheap crappy build where the single center hinge broke and was warrantied.

Nice score!

I needed a new laptop for Forscan, AlfaOBD, etc., after my Dell Rugged laptop had a failed hard drive caddy.

I got a Lenovo ThinkPad, but I’d have loved to nab that Precision you got.

Enjoy the win! 😎👍

Nice score!

I needed a new laptop for Forscan, AlfaOBD, etc., after my Dell Rugged laptop had a failed hard drive caddy.

I got a Lenovo ThinkPad, but I’d have loved to nab that Precision you got.

Enjoy the win! 😎👍
A couple years back, I got a generation old Surface for just this reason. it was cheap enough, and all i needed was Windows machine with built in Bluetooth for Forscan. and the thinner/smaller the better.
The Tablet form factor works best for me, as I have an "American Sized" belly, and fitting a laptop between me and the steering wheel was a bit of a challenge, even with my old Netbook, that ran win 10, but took 5 min or so to boot up and was constant lag...even though it had an SSD. (albeit a platry 32gb M2 type - that system was a year or so old when i got it around 2012...)

Haven't needed a laptop in many years until recently when I started to do GM Techline Connect / SPS stuff. My 2010-era laptop was not cutting it, so I'd have to drag my desktop out to the shop each time. That got really old really quick, but fortunately the wife did me a favor by cracking the screen of the old one by piling stuff on top of it (she was the only one that used it), which negated the "we have one that works just fine" complaint she'd give me if I went to buy a new one.

When it comes to laptops, I've had much better luck with 3-5 year old off lease business systems, I feel you get more for the money. My criteria was cheap, expandable, and a generation CPU new enough to support Windows 11 natively (without hacks / bypasses).

I found a Dell Precision 7530 with sort of low/middle of the road specs for $300 - I5-8300H CPU, 16GB DDR4, 512GB M.2 SSD, discreet Quadro P1000 GPU, 15.6" screen, backlit keyboard were the nuts and bolts. The beauty of these workstation laptops is there's 3 M.2 SSD bays, and 4 RAM slots and they typically come with more ports and ethernet. I figured I could make a very competent system (32gb RAM, 1TB+ storage) with little extra money.

What I actually received was a Xeon E2176M 6-core CPU with Quadro P2000, otherwise same specs. Battery health reported in the BIOS is still good and seems to hold a charge / run down just fine. It's always a gamble with off-lease units whether you'll actually receive the OEM power adapter, but that was there too. Looking up a comparably equipped used system on Amazon / Ebay, they sell for about $700-750, nowhere near the $300 I paid.

Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked and just bought another for the wife-- we were going to share the first one, but I cringe at the idea. This is too good a deal to pass up. There's no guarantee the next one will be spec'd above what is advertised, but the wife doesn't need the extra CPU/GPU horsepower for her sewing / craft / sublimation stuff, which is about all she uses a laptop for.
You had my old 7530, I loved it. Unfortunately IT said I have to give it back and then they downgrade me to a Latitude D with a smaller screen.

@92saturnsl2

Can you share where you got this smokin deal? 😀
Sorry for the delay, this is the link:

YMMV on getting one above published specs. I noticed after ordering the wife's, it shipped from a different location entirely. I'll be shocked if lightning strikes twice.

The one I received shipped from California, the second one from Texas. Not sure why this is; it's the same product link and seller. I'm guessing they're just a reseller and drop ship from different refurbishers, but honestly I have no idea.

Edit: What I didn't notice is that price went up about $10 for the second one I ordered. First one was sold by "ECO-TECH LLC" second one from "LA-PRO". Now that I'm viewing it again, it's up to $330 and sold by "SupremeDealsCR". Interesting how that changes so quickly for the exact same product link.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, this is the link:

YMMV on getting one above published specs. I noticed after ordering the wife's, it shipped from a different location entirely. I'll be shocked if lightning strikes twice.

The one I received shipped from California, the second one from Texas. Not sure why this is; it's the same product link and seller. I'm guessing they're just a reseller and drop ship from different refurbishers, but honestly I have no idea.

Edit: What I didn't notice is that price went up about $10 for the second one I ordered. First one was sold by "ECO-TECH LLC" second one from "LA-PRO". Now that I'm viewing it again, it's up to $330 and sold by "SupremeDealsCR". Interesting how that changes so quickly for the exact same product link.
Thank you Sir.
Good to know on your seller observations...

Thank you Sir.
Good to know on your seller observations...
Seller has changed once again to "Primetimebuys".

I'd love to get an inside look as to how the Amazon world works. Evidently this is a product listing that multiple sellers can post their products underneath. I see no other explanation...?

Hit the laptop lotto for the second time. The wife's machine is above advertised specs but in a different way than mine:

Advertised specs in parenthesis.

I5-8400H (I5-8300H)
32GB 2x16 dual channel DDR4-2666 RAM (16GB DDR4-2666)
Quadro P2000 4gb (Quadro P1000)
Gloss Touchscreen 1920x1080P display (unspecified 1080P display)

Overall hers looks like a newer revision of the laptop. The lid has carbon fiber design with a slight texture, whereas mine is as utilitarian matte black as it gets. The outer screen bezel is all gloss on hers which looks much more premium than the 2000-ish design mine has. The touchstick thing embedded in the keyboard is a different color (all black) on the second machine versus the one with a blue ring on mine.

Despite the CPU not being as fast as the Xeon I got (4 core vs 6), I prefer the second machine because of the display alone. The gloss screen vs the matte screen on mine is a night and day difference in brightness, contrast and viewing angle.

I'm pretty sure Amazon posts a product with minimum specs, and multiple sellers post underneath that listing with their products that at least fit the minimum-- so it's a grab bag of sorts what you're going to get, and in my case that's not a bad thing.

Purchased a HP 17" laptop today from Costco. $558 in the door. Core i5 10 core, 512g SSD, 16g memory, backlit keyboard ect. Only thing I'm worried about is the bloatware. I have 30 days to decide if i like it. I've had good luck with used desktops, laptops, no so much.

Purchased a HP 17" laptop today from Costco. $558 in the door. Core i5 10 core, 512g SSD, 16g memory, backlit keyboard ect. Only thing I'm worried about is the bloatware. I have 30 days to decide if i like it. I've had good luck with used desktops, laptops, no so much.

How's the display? I've returned or prematurely sold so many laptops due to nasty panels. Good luck with your HP, from my experience their build quality, durability, and cooling systems are subpar compared to Dell or Lenovo.

How's the display? I've returned or prematurely sold so many laptops due to nasty panels. Good luck with your HP, from my experience their build quality, durability, and cooling systems are subpar compared to Dell or Lenovo.
I think it is a 17" IPS panel. I find the video driver makes the panel. If it is not good it will go back. My Acer with one broken leg, my fault, can soldier on for a bit longer.
a link below

I think it is a 17" IPS panel. I find the video driver makes the panel. If it is not good it will go back. My Acer with one broken leg, my fault, can soldier on for a bit longer.
a link below
That's a really good price for that system. I would be curious though if the memory and storage could be upgraded in the future. A lot of price leaders (Costco / Walmart variants of the same system sold elsewhere) use LPDDR RAM and storage affixed to the motherboard with no upgrade options. Of course this doesn't matter for most folks.

That's a really good price for that system. I would be curious though if the memory and storage could be upgraded in the future. A lot of price leaders (Costco / Walmart variants of the same system sold elsewhere) use LPDDR RAM and storage affixed to the motherboard with no upgrade options. Of course this doesn't matter for most folks.

While I understand the point you are trying to make, is anyone really going to bother upgrading the RAM in that system? If you are doing something that needs more than 16GB of RAM you'll need something with a better CPU/GPU anyway. As for the storage, though, yes, it would be a bummer if the SSD was not replaceable. Although besides Apple I haven't seen much of that yet on any mid-range or better PC laptops.

While I understand the point you are trying to make, is anyone really going to bother upgrading the RAM in that system? If you are doing something that needs more than 16GB of RAM you'll need something with a better CPU/GPU anyway. As for the storage, though, yes, it would be a bummer if the SSD was not replaceable. Although besides Apple I haven't seen much of that yet on any mid-range or better PC laptops.
I usually keep my laptops for 5-10 years depending on what I'm starting with.

It's not unusual to exceed 16gb RAM. My Windows 11 machine at work will regularly pass 16gb (just barely) multitasking simple stuff-- browser window, some CNC production / detailing software (nothing even remotely resource intensive), Adobe Acrobat, Outlook, couple file explorer windows, etc open at the same time. It might surprise you that it gets by with the integrated I5-13600K GPU just fine.

Does this happen in home use? No. In that case, I'd rather buy something much cheaper than $500 if all I'm doing is web browsing and checking E-mail. Then upgrade components down the road as needed.

As I stated earlier, most don't need an upgrade path. But it's something to consider for those that do.

I usually keep my laptops for 5-10 years depending on what I'm starting with.

It's not unusual to exceed 16gb RAM. My Windows 11 machine at work will regularly pass 16gb (just barely) multitasking simple stuff-- browser window, some CNC production / detailing software (nothing even remotely resource intensive), Adobe Acrobat, Outlook, couple file explorer windows, etc open at the same time. It might surprise you that it gets by with the integrated I5-13600K GPU just fine.

Does this happen in home use? No. In that case, I'd rather buy something much cheaper than $500 if all I'm doing is web browsing and checking E-mail. Then upgrade components down the road as needed.

As I stated earlier, most don't need an upgrade path. But it's something to consider for those that do.
Purchased it because it is 17.3" IPS screen and a backlit keyboard. I had my current laptop for 5 years and have not exceeded 100gb/1tb used. I like intel processors, maybe because two AMD's i've had were slow and choked up easily. Lots of resetting. I forsee nothing I will outgrow.

Back