Your Choice for Router in 2023

Curious if the ubiquiti express gateway, router and wifi in one:

Is this a functional equivalent in terms of gateway HW/SW/etc. to the gateway ultimate? Or is it possible that the ultimate has better/newer internal components somehow to be more “future proof” since it is “new”.

Getting one piece of hw, vs connecting a new gateway ultimate to an existing AX router/wifi is of interest to me.
unfortunately no IDS/IPS
its basically a weak version of the UDR.. too weak to process the IDS/IPS.
but has decent WAP built in.

If you are comparing it to your average consumer router (y)

You can also use the express as a WAP connected to a cloud gateway ultra...
I believe the express wifi performance falls inbetween a 6-pro and 6-plus. not 100% on that.

What is Ubiquiti's reputation with respect to firmware support?

I've paid Asus' premium in the past since they've historically been better than average in that respect, and had a good overall experience with a previous model.

However, the model I have now has been EOL'd after a much shorter period, and their firmware has gotten buggier since they've packed more and more frills into it.

I think I'm done with Asus, and with consumer-grade networking gear in general, and aiming to look for something better next time.

1711513162331.jpg
Toilet Paper Link - see the roll in the logo?

Access point is a wifi?

I just need it to work outside for my cameras. I have no signal beyond about 10ft from the building.
Yes.
The InstantOn series is specifically designed for SMB use with an easy to use app, automatic firmware updates...etc. They are really good.
Wireless access points for small business | Aruba Instant On

Scroll down until you get to the list of different models, you will see the outdoor ones. The AP17 is the one that would be most appropriate, can you get ethernet to it?

I've paid Asus' premium in the past since they've historically been better than average in that respect, and had a good overall experience with a previous model.

However, the model I have now has been EOL'd after a much shorter period, and their firmware has gotten buggier since they've packed more and more frills into it.

I think I'm done with Asus, and with consumer-grade networking gear in general, and aiming to look for something better next time.
@Rand and @wwillson have more experience with their stuff than me, the UDM SE is the first piece of their gear that I've used, but so far am very happy with it. It gets pretty regular firmware updates, most recent one was 5 weeks ago.

Have a friend and retired client of mine, I upgraded his home network from an old Cisco ISR and some Aironet access points (they were wireless N) to the UDM SE and three Unifi LR AP's and, touch-wood, but the remote management experience for me has, so far, been as good as Meraki, but without the subscription cost.

My experience has been good. The firmware is upgraded regularly and the code is high quality. All of my APs are still supported, even the first gen 802.11ac APs which are old. Remember my Ubiquiti equipment is all "enterprise" (it's really prosumer+) so there is an expectation from most companies that the firmware will be supported for a longer time frame than consumer devices.

Yes.
The InstantOn series is specifically designed for SMB use with an easy to use app, automatic firmware updates...etc. They are really good.
Wireless access points for small business | Aruba Instant On

Scroll down until you get to the list of different models, you will see the outdoor ones. The AP17 is the one that would be most appropriate, can you get ethernet to it?
Ok, so I just bolt that to a tree or something and it wifi? It doesn't need 120v?

unfortunately no IDS/IPS
its basically a weak version of the UDR.. too weak to process the IDS/IPS.
but has decent WAP built in.

If you are comparing it to your average consumer router (y)

You can also use the express as a WAP connected to a cloud gateway ultra...
I believe the express wifi performance falls inbetween a 6-pro and 6-plus. not 100% on that.

To use it as a way with another ubiquiti product drives the cost 2x.

So the hardware is too slow/weak to do the ids/ips?

So specs are lower then I guess?

You would need ethernet from your main router to it and a power injector. The only plug the unit has, IIRC, is weatherproof ethernet, which it gets power over as well (Power over Ethernet).
Ok. Way over my head. I have no idea what power injectors are.
I can rebuild 7.3L powerstroke injectors, that count? 🤣

Is there a business that does this stuff? I don't have time or the desire to be a computer programmer just for the wifi to work outside for my cameras.

I thought of putting the router moderm thing outside with a roof on bolted to a tree vs inside but don't imagine they are made for cold weather.
And then I'd have no signal inside.

It's easy you run a cable from that router to the outside access point .. somewhere along the line you put a power injector inline it plugs into wall outlet

Sends power over the Ethernet cable to access point outside

Ethernet is the 8 conductor large phone plug cable

Screenshot_20240327_162346_Chrome.jpg

This isn't some kid in China sitting there going like "that alarmguy character, I think he's a worthwhile target, I better put some effort into trying to hax0r teh gibson on him!" It's bots doing it, probing for vulnerable hosts using a list of known exploits.
Hahahahahahahah, reading this just made me bust up laughing in a way I haven't in a LONG time. There is already plenty of good info in this thread so I only really want to add just how good this line is. Made my day.

Netgear for the win with security. I went ahead and purchased a tcp router as it was $50 cheaper and had a 64 bit dual core processor over Netgears.

Back