KIA tops the latest JD Power initial quality rank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dja4260
Originally Posted By: dblshock
Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Korean junk very low on resale value.

Subaru has some of the best resale values in the industry.

We ALL know how much you love your Toyota. You're 100% incorrect however.

+1 on Subaru resale being high. He is correct where KIA/Hyundai resale value is concerned though. But that will take time and more results like this JD Power one. Nothing happens overnight. As for the Korean brands being "junk"... oh well, no matter how good you are, there's always a detractor.

they should run these tests starting at 10yrs. old and 150k so they mean something.

Again, there are other studies that address this. For example, JD Power does another study on dependability on 3-year-old vehicles. But I'm not sure if there is any study that goes back as far as 10 years. The reality is that most people don't keep their cars that long, and it's really hard to gather accurate repair/problem data when the vehicle is now on it's second, third, or fourth owner.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Quality is also based on folks perception. The bar is so low for Kia that the decent cars they offer now taint folks to rate them wonderfully. Also what do their buyers done from. 5+ years ago Kia's were really a few grades below all.

The hard part is if you are a auro car brand(some Japanese and luxury makes) buyers have a perception that vehicle is better then reality. Any issue of their "halo" gets nicked very hard.

been gone fishing for about 7 weeks, around the time of my last post.so, it's good to see one of these threads.
funny that only one Toyota fanboy here, so far, and zero Honda fanboys, trumpeting the quality of their brands. gee, I wonder why ? where is Honda on the list? if it was a big three product in honda's place, the brand would be junk, and the Honda fanboys would be raggin' on that brand. now, they will be crying in their beer and their 0w-20 oil.
remember that perception is reality.don't believe anything that you read, good or bad, about the brands, as opinions are all too subjective.if you are looking at a new car, check out 3 or 4 brands, and buy the one that you like the best, brand aside.
one poster here has the best line -- "buy what makes you smile".words of wisdom.

right...buy what you like to look at, don't bother with value...when your standing in line at the Mazda service desk just keep in mind that money you squandered could have bought a Toyota.

Resale doesn't matter that much when you hang on to the car for a long time. You could have saved thousands on the front end.

Exactly, resale value matters when you plan on selling your car within five years or so and don't put a ton of miles on it. But then why not just lease?

right...buy what you like to look at, don't bother with value...when your standing in line at the Mazda service desk just keep in mind that money you squandered could have bought a Toyota.

My Mazda 3 has not seen a service bay ever since I stopped doing oil changes at the dealer, some 9 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
they should run these tests starting at 10yrs. old and 150k so they mean something.

Again, there are other studies that address this. For example, JD Power does another study on dependability on 3-year-old vehicles. But I'm not sure if there is any study that goes back as far as 10 years. The reality is that most people don't keep their cars that long, and it's really hard to gather accurate repair/problem data when the vehicle is now on it's second, third, or fourth owner.

Even you could collect the data, it wouldn't matter--10 years is a long time. It might indicate what a maker did historically, but it means nada for what is being made today. Engines, transmissions and platforms usually don't have 10 year lifespans--even if they do, they are always getting tweaks.

So dblshock,
Are you assuming percentage off MSRP is going to be similar for Toyota and a Kia when new? Because that resale value doesn't mean squat if it was offset by higher upfront price. Then it's just a matter of whether you want the money upfront or 10 years down the road.

Rubbish

Funny thing is that overall the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 have great long term reliability for most model years as found in Consumer Reports, and unlike that Toyota you actually want to drive it because it is a fun car to be in.

JP power information is of questionable quality, and the automakers have to PAY them to be included in the surveys....

Last edited:
well suppose you'll buy 2 KIA to 1 Toyota which is just about right.

Aren't you the one with the warped door trim on the Highlander?

Life is to [censored] short to drive something that does not make you smile.
I have not once even considered resale when I have purchased a car.
I considered the smile on my face when I mashed the go pedal.
If you are living based on the resale of car...you are already dead.

In fact I think I am going out to the parking lot right now and burning 10,000 miles of rubber off the Caprice's rear tires.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Toyota's go for $5-$6 grand with 300K no kidding look at Auto Trader.

There are lots of morons out there to pay that kind of money for what's essentially scrap metal.

And come back to us when your highlander has 300k miles.

the old marketing mantra -- never underestimate the stupidity of the consumer.

dblshock is just trying to get you guys going.fanatic fanboys (on bitog,they are mostly Toyota and Honda owners) are, as a rule, not troubled by logic/reason.they are blinded by their own twisted perceptions.you could put a Toyota nameplate on a Yugo, and dolts will buy it.hence, the marketing mantra above.
but, the fanboys are always good for a laugh. and, that's about all.
it's funny that the Honda fanboys are conspicuous by their absence.
at any rate, always read one's sig before responding to a fanboy's post.
have a good night, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back