Kia severe maintenance intervals to maintain warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by JustN89
The Service Agreement to follow (THAT YOU MENTIONED) for 10 years, is much-much more than just oil changes.

During the life of the warranty, only 4 things are called out for replacement by Hyundai during the severe service schedule: Oil/Filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter, and transmission fluid (which many on here would be glad to see listed on the service schedule instead of Hyundai sticking by the "lifetime fluid" shtick).

How many warranties have you seen be denied because the air filter wasn't replaced? Or is paying $10 every 30k miles ($30 over the life of the warranty) to replace the engine air filter more exorbitant than any other manufactuer?

How many warranties have you seen be denied because the cabin air filter wasn't changed?

It's laughable that this is considered "much-much more" than just an OCI or than what every other manufacturer calls for.

Since I'm getting the feeling that a lot of people posting in this thread haven't even read the service schedule for Hyundai, here is the recommended severe service maintenance schedule. There's way too much hyperbole in this thread.

Someone here at BITOG mentioned mandatory, periodic checkups (first one at 12k) that cost around $200 with labor.
So is that person lying or wrong?

Don't know if they're lying, but they're definitely wrong. Again, go to the website and look at the schedule itself. Don't just believe everything you read on the internet and run with it.

The Service Agreement to follow (THAT YOU MENTIONED) for 10 years, is much-much more than just oil changes.

During the life of the warranty, only 4 things are called out for replacement by Hyundai during the severe service schedule: Oil/Filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter, and transmission fluid (which many on here would be glad to see listed on the service schedule instead of Hyundai sticking by the "lifetime fluid" shtick).

How many warranties have you seen be denied because the air filter wasn't replaced? Or is paying $10 every 30k miles ($30 over the life of the warranty) to replace the engine air filter more exorbitant than any other manufactuer?

How many warranties have you seen be denied because the cabin air filter wasn't changed?

It's laughable that this is considered "much-much more" than just an OCI or than what every other manufacturer calls for.

Since I'm getting the feeling that a lot of people posting in this thread haven't even read the service schedule for Hyundai, here is the recommended severe service maintenance schedule. There's way too much hyperbole in this thread.

My Hyundai manual says to change the trans fluid at 60k. No mention of a lifetime fluid.

Severe service.png

transaxle.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brigadier

My Hyundai manual says to change the trans fluid at 75k. No mention of a lifetime fluid.

It may be different since yours is AWD.

I just went to the "normal" service schedule for a 2017 AWD Santa Fe and the transmission fluid isn't listed for replacement, which would imply a lifetime fluid unless operating under severe conditions.

Last edited:
I think that's the service I'm talking about (above in white). These items listed currently cost about $200 with labor at the dealer .... per mileage requirement inspection/visit.

If we don't get our steering and other parts listed inspected, they could void the warranty - even when going to the dealer for something else down the line.

Last edited:

My Hyundai manual says to change the trans fluid at 60k. No mention of a lifetime fluid.

I rthink that's the service I'm talking about. These items currently cost about $200 per mileage requirement inspection/visit.

Except that that info is incorrect. Again, I implore you to go the website and review the service schedule instead of just running around claiming random $200 inspections that are supposedly required for warranty coverage.

JustN89
So that white box (above) is another lie? What happens if I fail to get my steering box and a couple other things in that white box above inspected at the interval required?
Then, I need a part on my engine three months later, that's not related to that white box. Can they deny my free repair, saying I failed to get those white box parts inspected, so my warranty on needed free part is denied?

I believe they can.... at least with past vehicles I've owned.
If they look up my visits to the dealer and find none in five years, will they still cover my engine breakdown or complaint during that visit?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jman26063
I just have not found another manufacturer that considers salt alone "severe service"

Honda lists "de-iced" roads, which we can assume covers salted roads, as seen here. There's one. I'm not going to spend a lot of time searching every manufacturer's requirements for severe service, but ignorance should not be grounds for a 6 page thread over something that has been rehashed over and over again over the 17 years of this forum's existence.

My Hyundai manual says to change the trans fluid at 75k. No mention of a lifetime fluid.

It may be different since yours is AWD.

I just went to the "normal" service schedule for a 2017 AWD Santa Fe and the transmission fluid isn't listed for replacement, which would imply a lifetime fluid unless operating under severe conditions.

Interesting.

JustN89
So that white box (above) is another lie? What happens if I fail to get my steering box and a couple other things in that white box above inspected at the interval required?
Then, I need a part on my engine three months later, that's not related to that white box. Can they deny my free repair, saying I failed to get those white box parts inspected, so my warranty on needed free part is denied?

I believe they can.... at least with past vehicles I've owned.

The steering box isn't covered under the 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty. Every manufacturer calls for things to be inspected, yet I've never seen one warranty denied because someone didn't get their car "inspected" when recommended by the service writer.

In fact, let's take this a little further. They inspect the part, and find it is broken. You are under warranty. Do they cover it under warranty? YES. Whether or not it was "inspected" previously doesn't matter.

I swear, this is getting more and more obtuse the longer this discussion goes on.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Under the MMWA (applicable in the US of course), if the car maker wants to deny a warranty claim based upon some alleged neglect, they have the burden to prove that the alleged neglect caused the failure at issue. In other words, your warranty does NOT go POOF and disappear if you miss something in the maintenance schedule. Also, for example, you could do absolutely NO oil changes (obviously a horrible idea), and if a power window fails on the last day of the wty, it's still covered because there's no way they could ever prove that the lack of oil changes caused the power window to fail.

So, you always have the full warranty, it never goes away. That said, if you do screw up the maintenance, AND the car maker can prove that your screw-up causes a failure, they don't have to cover that failure. The wty is STILL IN EFFECT, however, all the way to the end of its term.

Of course, the best plan is to read the book carefully, perform AND DOCUMENT proper maintenance, and thereby avoid ever having to try to win a wty fight in the first place.

In the real world, you have to sue on your dime in Federal Civil Court to hold them accountable to the MMWA. FTC does not have a team of lawyers to help consumers for individual violations and enforcement. MMWA is not the White Knight for the average consumer if the dealers and manufacturers want to go full retard in denying warranty claim without first proving it.

Not every manufacturer broadly defines driving in salty conditions as severe service alone. Cold temps ok, short trips ok, very hot ok. But just a blanket "salt used" to define when to change your oil is ridiculous. I am not arguing one doesnt need to read a manual. Im stating that it is misleading to include basically 2 countries as severe service and not just call it routine service

I understand that you don't like it, but I am failing to understand why people need to "think again" if they actually have their stated manufacturer warranty. It's one thing to not like the rules required to keep it, but as long as you abide by the rules, you have no reason to believe that you won't have your warranty honored. I own a Hyundai. I have a 10 year/100k miles warranty. No, I don't need to think again. I have followed the service schedule whether I agree with it or not. I don't understand what's so hard about this.

Dont worry, there is nothing to "think again" about, there is nothing hard about it, and the bottom line is the title of this thread is absolutely stupid.

I just have not found another manufacturer that considers salt alone "severe service"

You apparently didnt look too hard. Here is one, out of a 2015 Mazda manual. Took me less than one minute to google this and download it.

Mazda

cf3bec91fc8cfe661378a46d56a33116-full.jpg.html

Originally Posted by StevieC
I don't get why Hyundai doesn't have a higher flow breathing system and some sort of oil to coolant heat exchanger to ensure the oil warms up and stays hot but tightly controlled during operation to extend the oil change interval. The other OE's are doing it. Hyundai has jumped on filter cartridges, direct injection, turbos etc. but no temperature control of the oil with an exchanger and no OLM?
21.gif

Actually, they do. There is a coolant/oil filter heat exchanger unit on the 2.0T and the 2.4L engines. I can't speak to the later models, but mine does not have an actual OLM, just a resettable mileage alert.

Last edited:
Kia published a TSB titled "Services and Products Not Recommended by KIA" and the first item listed is related to the normal and severe maintenance interval. It specifically says the "Normal" maintenance schedule is applicable to most Kia vehicles in use in the United States. Here's a link for anyone interested: https://revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=177494

I'm not sure if Hyundai has a similar TSB, but Kia owners who are worried about running more than 3,750 on an oil change can print this and keep it with their service records in case a dealer tries to claim they should have changed oil more often.

Occasional use in a severe condition doesn't mean you must automatically follow the severe schedule. Example: Salt is used here in central NC, but only a few days of the year, so I'm not worried about that making my driving considered severe.

As far as warranties go, there are horror stories about all manufacturers, and I suspect the majority of them are dealer related issues. Remember: Customer pay jobs pay more than warranty jobs. Dishonest dealers may try to claim something isn't covered. The majority of cases are not like this, but the unhappy customers are more likely to talk about their experiences than happy customers.

I really doubt anyone who changes the oil on the normal schedule will have warranty problems that can't be resolved through working with corporate. Always hang on to receipts. I also keep a portion of the oil filter with dates and mileage written on it box with my maintenance records.

This one escalated quickly. The answer to the posed question has been provided folks. /thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Originally Posted by StevieC
I don't get why Hyundai doesn't have a higher flow breathing system and some sort of oil to coolant heat exchanger to ensure the oil warms up and stays hot but tightly controlled during operation to extend the oil change interval. The other OE's are doing it. Hyundai has jumped on filter cartridges, direct injection, turbos etc. but no temperature control of the oil with an exchanger and no OLM?
21.gif

Actually, they do. There is a coolant/oil filter heat exchanger unit on the 2.0T and the 2.4L engines. I can't speak to the later models, but mine does not have an actual OLM, just a resettable mileage alert.

I missed it then... Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

I guess I don't understand the pages of paranoia in this thread?

I personally know of a few Kia owners who have had warranty covered repairs done on their very sparsely maintained Kia.

There was also a thread here of a toasted engine, an attempt of faked receipts, yet Kia still replaced the engine free of charge.

There's no way you are going to completely void your warranty by NOT doing OCs at 3750 miles. It's a case by case basis and largely dependent on your servicing dealer. They're your window into the Kia world (sometimes unfortunately).

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Salt and sand on the roads creates dusty driving conditions when the salt dries out. Dusty conditions lead to more silica ingested through the intake tract, thus making it past your rings and into your oil, which could in turn load the oil filter up quicker than if the air were cleaner.

That is a long winded explanation, but for this and many other variables and reasons it is a safe practice to change your oil and filter based on the severe schedule if you are planning to keep the car until the body rots off.

I will add, as a former Kia Master Elite Technician, (5 years as Master) Kia isn't going to deny a warranty claim if you change your oil and filter every 7,500 miles at LEAST. That's the magic number for warranty claims over $1,000 for non self-authorizing dealers. Self-Authorizing dealers have a little more leeway in what they can repair without pre-authorization. They are the "shot callers" as it were. I worked for a self-authorizing dealer.

Moral of the story is not to worry. If your timing chain flies off the gears and you have receipts for Mobil 1 every 6k they will fix your vehicle with no argument. If they do give you grief find a different dealer.

smirk2.gif
there is always salt and sand on the road around Florida,,now what??

Originally Posted by CourierDriver

smirk2.gif
there is always salt and sand on the road around Florida,,now what??

The same as some parts of Long Island. Keep an eye on your air filter, spend a few $$ on a UOA to make sure it and your oil is doing its job. Then if needed adjust your OCI accordingly, and replace your air filter and/or check the plumbing to it if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back