Kawasaki Oil or Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be afraid to read/ask on the motorcycle forum. A lot more experience with 50 weights over there, if you are convinced that is what you need.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I see that mobil 1 offers 15w50. Thoughts?

It has at least 1000 ppm of ZDDP. And if you decide on that oil, you should be able to use it year round.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
What about this?
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/diesel/oe-15w-40-synthetic-diesel-oil/

Good stuff. CJ-4/SN ACEA E9. Expensive though.

Might not be much more $$ than the Kawasaki oil. I'd go with it.
thumbsup2.gif

If it was me, and I was running a business like you... I'd be buying Mystik synthetic blend 15w40 at $50 per 5 gallon pail. About $2.50 a quart. Meets all the same specs as that Amsoil.

Edit: (That is retail pricing, I'm sure you could get it cheaper even.)

Last edited:
I was going to mention Mobil 1 15w50 but someone beat me to it. Also it's usually available at Walmart in jugs and if not might be able to site to store it

Sorry for the thread necromancy.. Just updating with current info.
Kawi has now a ktech 15w50 "fully synthetic" product. Among other things this features boosted zddp, and JASO-MA cert.

They compare this to their other ktech oils which they say are synthetic blends. The JASO-MA is a Japanese motorcycle oil spec, it is mostly about controlling the friction to work better with wet clutches. To put it in very simple terms, a JASO-MA certified oil is made less slippery by adding
friction modifiers. I do not believe this actually buys anything for a Kawi lawnmower engine, which does not have a wet clutch. Keep in mind that Kawasaki is also a motorcycle manufacturer, so this oil may be primarily intended for their Motorcycle business. (It would make more sense for that) .

I have a 22hp kawi fx engine on my mower. I like the idea of using synthetic oil but I'm wondering if Mobil 1 is lacking the additives that the kawi oil has that's rec. for my engine? Kawi's updated rec. is 10w40 during the cooler weather months,and 20w50 for the warmer months.
Synthetic oils are great but if you choose a synthetic John Deere recommends to wait until you have a hundred hours on your engine.

You don't have cats on your mower, so you don't have to be restricted in your oil choice. About any of the oils that have ZDDP levels higher than allowed to get SM certification will work fine in your mower.
Rotella T4
Rotella T6
Mobil 1 Euro
Mobil 1 15-50
Mobil 1 4T
RP HPS series
pretty much any diesel engine oil

The OP probably figured out the answer one way or another.
The question and answers may be still interesting for someone, so you could view it as "posting for the community" . I cant see anything wrong with that, and I appreciate thastinger pointing out that these small outdoor engines do not have a cat converter. In this, his post was useful to me.

I do not understand people who complain about "thread necromancy" other than demonstrating their superior grasp of threaded message board concepts. Such posts have zero useful information content
for me. Yes I know, and no, I dont care that the thread is old.

Like others I find answers here or elsewhere using search engines. If a post presents some useful information, I am grateful for it. I get it that the OP may not care any more, but my point is that the answers are not just for him/her. I veiw the OP more as an excuse and "apropos" for sharing useful knowledge.

The OP probably figured out the answer one way or another.
The question and answers may be still interesting for someone, so you could view it as "posting for the community" . I cant see anything wrong with that, and I appreciate thastinger pointing out that these small outdoor engines do not have a cat converter. In this, his post was useful to me.

I do not understand people who complain about "thread necromancy" other than demonstrating their superior grasp of threaded message board concepts. Such posts have zero useful information content
for me. Yes I know, and no, I dont care that the thread is old.

Like others I find answers here or elsewhere using search engines. If a post presents some useful information, I am grateful for it. I get it that the OP may not care any more, but my point is that the answers are not just for him/her. I veiw the OP more as an excuse and "apropos" for sharing useful knowledge.
You don't understand it yet you apologized for doing it?

I've got a Kawai FH500V with somewhere in the 1500 Hr range, on my Wright Stander mower, it has always had Rotella T4 in it.

The MOST important thing you can do to extend the life of these engines is to keep the air cooling fins clean on the cylinder and head. The way Kawi shrouds the motors, clippings will build up and block the cooling fins...then your motor will drop an exhaust valve seat when it overheats.

Folks - this thread is six years old. Responding to the OP is a bit pointless. Lock time. Please start a new thread if this topic interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back