Kaspersky Anti Virus Instead Of Webroot Or Avast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today when i came back to the shop my it guy was still there working on the computers and said he changed our anti virus to Kaspersky because he said it was better.. Is that true or is it like our beloved oil that everyone has an opinion as to what is the "Best" ? It's not like i have such important things on my computers sometimes i think it's better to not buy an anti virus and just use what you get when you purchase a new computer i think it originally had McAfee live safe but he said that was not a good a.v.

Personally i think the anti virus people are the ones sending viruses so you will buy an a.v.
I would never have any banking or anything else on my computer because i know how easy it is to "snoop" and there are hackerrs everywhere. I know i Asked ab out an anti virus a couple of times already but now i need a BITOG answer on a.v.
Thanks

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free. Works great.

don't open attachements, exe or zip files from people you don't know or that seem suspicious. That will prevent most of your virus attacks.

There used to be a great virus webpage that talked a lot about the over-reaction of the media and people to the threat of viruses. I do all my banking online.

It's not that easy to snoop or hack into a reasonably protected network.

Kaspersky or NOD32 are about the best/most reliable right now. Certainly better than McAfee or any free antivirus. Just bought 3 Kaspersky keys last Friday for clients.

EDIT: As far as Leo99`s post....just no. Security essentials is bottom of the barrel now {it was good until Microsoft gave up on it}. Not opening any file you are unsure of goes without saying, but there are other ways to get infected now. Clicking on the wrong web site can mess up your day if some exploit is available. It happens.

Last edited:
I used to use Kaspersky but it got bloated like the other antivirus products. Not sure how it is now. But after Kaspersky I went to Webroot and have been using it for three or four years and it works great, is inexpensive, and uses few computer resources.

I've used AVG's free antivirus, free Malwarebytes , and Windows firewall as my network triumvirate for years now. I do a lot of financial transactions and purchases online and have never viruses/ malware. Use Adblock Plus for your browsers and you should be golden.

Some other network security tips:

-For your primary PC, being hardwired to a router is the safest thing. If unavoidable, make sure you're wifi has WPA2 encryption, MAC address filtering and the router's internal firewall's enabled for added security.
-Avoid free public wifi if possible. If not, use a trusted VPN service.
-Most browsers do a good job of alerting you of phishing scams and malicious re-directs, but always make sure websites that require logins are HTTPS secured. If a site looks sketchy at all, avoid it.

Last edited:
good AV must be at least West Coast Labs and/or ICSA certified.

There's no one better than the other these days, for most of the brand-name ones are capable of picking up malwares, etc. Some indeed better than others in terms of their heuristic engines being capable of picking up in "behavioural" terms.

Also: Nowadays, 2/3 of the infections come from browser/surfing the internet, usually comes in from malformed HTML, BHO, malicious Java scripts, infected flash, poisoned DNS (redirection), etc.

Traditional AV cannot stop these malwares from unpacking (as part of the web page loading deal).

Lastly: those who wear the conspiracy theory hat of malware being written by AV producers is simply laughable....

There are NSA who has access to various OS manufacturers code and capable of injecting backdoor codes from HDD firmware to some obscure codes inside Windows or certain other linux codes or drivers varieties.

And then there's the shady operations from CCP in china, N. Korea, former eastern European blocks; Russian mafias and malware code warriers, etc.

You want to know more? Attend the blackhat conference and find out.

Q.

To be more specific:

I also have UTM firewall in my house that does deep packet inspections with loads of intelligence....

For my kid's PC: Malwarebytes + OpenDNS +Avast AV (and connects to our UTM firewall)

Q.

what you are talking about is over my head that is why someone else works on all the computers...
Do you think kaspersky is a good one or any of the others i have mentioned?

Yes, KAV is a good one. But, it does try to up-sell you when you renew it.

Keep it.
It is one of the best and most consistent AV's out there according to tests.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Kaspersky or NOD32 are about the best/most reliable right now.
This^^^ and MSE is pure junk, no longer supported--the free versions of Avast and AVG are far better than MSE.

My understanding is MS is only stopping their support of MSE on XP but they still support it on Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back