John Deere LX178 - head gasket test question

I bought this 1992 LX178 late last year and it’s been neglected for a while. I’m trying to get it back to a reliable condition. Been doing mostly basic maintenance and have used it to mow the yard the last 3 weeks - each week with something going wrong.

Last week I noticed some minor bubbling in the coolant overflow tank (it’s got the twin cylinder Kawasaki FD440V engine). It’s not blowing white smoke out of the muffler or consuming coolant. Oil level is steady and don’t see any evidence of oil in coolant or coolant in antifreeze. I think the level went down about 1/4” or less in the overflow tank over about 8-9 hours of running. No condensate in the muffler. Spark plugs on both sides look normal - I didn’t see any white deposits typical with antifreeze leaks from what I understand.

But just to be sure, So I went to AZ and got a head gasket leak detector. I followed the instructions, starting the test off with the coolant in the radiator neck down by about 1.5”. After about 12 mins of run time as I was periodically squeezing the bulb to draw air, it started pulling coolant in. The blue test liquid remained blue and didn’t change to yellow.

Is this test indicative of anything at all? I really like the mower and am hoping the head gasket hasn’t gone out.

Beginning of test:

IMG_3120.jpeg

End of test, after 12 mins. Blue test liquid remained blue, but coolant got drawn in by repeated squeezing of the rubber bulb/plunger.
IMG_3122.jpeg

Small bubbles that I noticed after running the mower - these are present starting about 25 mins of run time and are consistent even after 3 hours of run time
IMG_3125.jpeg

Slow sporadic bubbles that come out after mower has been shut off
IMG_3115.jpeg

I bought this 1992 LX178 late last year and it’s been neglected for a while. I’m trying to get it back to a reliable condition. Been doing mostly basic maintenance and have used it to mow the yard the last 3 weeks - each week with something going wrong.

Last week I noticed some minor bubbling in the coolant overflow tank (it’s got the twin cylinder Kawasaki FD440V engine). It’s not blowing white smoke out of the muffler or consuming coolant. Oil level is steady and don’t see any evidence of oil in coolant or coolant in antifreeze. I think the level went down about 1/4” or less in the overflow tank over about 8-9 hours of running. No condensate in the muffler. Spark plugs on both sides look normal - I didn’t see any white deposits typical with antifreeze leaks from what I understand.

But just to be sure, So I went to AZ and got a head gasket leak detector. I followed the instructions, starting the test off with the coolant in the radiator neck down by about 1.5”. After about 12 mins of run time as I was periodically squeezing the bulb to draw air, it started pulling coolant in. The blue test liquid remained blue and didn’t change to yellow.

Is this test indicative of anything at all? I really like the mower and am hoping the head gasket hasn’t gone out.

Beginning of test:

View attachment 170037

End of test, after 12 mins. Blue test liquid remained blue, but coolant got drawn in by repeated squeezing of the rubber bulb/plunger.
View attachment 170038

Small bubbles that I noticed after running the mower - these are present starting about 25 mins of run time and are consistent even after 3 hours of run time
View attachment 170040

Slow sporadic bubbles that come out after mower has been shut off
View attachment 170039

I believe you can test both coolant and oil for exhaust gases. This might be a better method than your current set up. IMO if you suspect the head gasket is compromised then change it. These mowers are pretty good units.

Just my $0.02

My current train of thought is if someone here with more experience can take a look at the pictures and possibly determine if the HG looks not damaged - I’d be inclined to let it be.

Having never done a HG job, I don’t want to screw it up and ruin the mower if there’s no issue based on the above.

Are there any more details that you could share about the test that you mentioned?

My experience with the chemical test is that a pass doesn't necessarily mean you're good to, but a fail means you're toast

There is probably an external leak somewhere that might be boiling off before you can see it. The head gasket tester wont pick that up. Look for any kind of calcium like deposits, white crusty stuff that builds up. You might need to clean the engine really well before it becomes apparent.

My current train of thought is if someone here with more experience can take a look at the pictures and possibly determine if the HG looks not damaged - I’d be inclined to let it be.

Having never done a HG job, I don’t want to screw it up and ruin the mower if there’s no issue based on the above.

Are there any more details that you could share about the test that you mentioned?
I don’t have any experience with these tests sorry. I have a Cummins and have seen guys on those forums talk about testing coolant on trucks with blown head gaskets.

Just my $0.02

Back