John Deere GT245 - Oil Recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm servicing 2 John Deere Tractors, and now has come the time for an oil change on the GT245.

I use the tractor all year round, as it doubles up as a snow plow/blower during the winter months.

What oil would be recommended for my toy? I was thinking of GC
wink.gif
- lol.

Yes,

Sorry I forgot to mention that most important fact. When not in usage, the tractor is in my heated garage (15-17 Celcius).

One thing that I did notice though is that I have to run the tractor a good 5 minutes before being able to start the mower or snowblower (otherwise it stalls). Anyone else experience this?

Our snowblower (an '84 John Deere 1032 walk-behind - 10hp I/C engine) requires an initial run time of about two minutes before you can really work with it. After about 30-45 seconds it's safe to take the choke off ... then run it at least another minute before powering-up and engaging the auger. No big.
dunno.gif

Which engines do these have? Kawasaki?

With the machines being in a heated garage, cold weather pumpability is not much of a factor so I'd use a 10W30, 10W40 or a 15W40 ... or even a straight 30 or 40 weight. As you may know, my preferred OTC brands are Pennzoil and Chevron.

I don't think a synthetic or synthetic blend is really necessary here. I'd rather see a heavy additive package ... preferably with a lot of moly.
wink.gif

I've been using Schaeffer 15W40 synthetic blend in my 18hp Honda and will have a 13 month used oil analysis on it in a couple days.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

I've got a John Deere 6hp lawn mower with the Kawasaki engine and I've been runing Mobil-1 10w30 in mine with good luck.

I tried the Mobil-1 15w-50 one time but I took it right back out after the engine seem to feel bogged down. It just didn't feel right. Runs great on the 10w-30

I also got a John Deere snow blower which I use a thiner oil in for easier starting. I use a 0w-30 in mine but someone else reported his was using (or posibly burning) oil with the lower weight 0w-40?

Realizing tractors are different just adding my 2cents.

[ January 03, 2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Hankrr ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back