It finally happened......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yup, at this time I'm unwilling to deviate from an LL-01 oil.

The Delvac 1 5w-40 has higher TBN that the Delvac 1 0w-40. I know, you won't deviate.
wink.gif
Check Imperial Oil. The only downside (I suppose depending on your point of view) is that you'll have to be a box of 6 single litres at time. The good side is that it's not WM or CT, which are shopping nightmares.

That's how I get M1 0w-40 currently, and PU 5w-40, LOL! So not really a change
wink.gif

OVERKILL: curious why you're so adamant about using only LL-01 approved oils. You've been here long enough to know the formal approval only means so much. :)

Because I have a great deal of faith in the euro oil testing and approval process. It isn't just LL-01 (if it was I'd have no problem just using the BMW 5w-30, but I don't think it is near the quality of PU 5w-40, M1 0w-40....etc) but the other certs/approvals these oils carry as well such as the Porsche approval, the MB approvals.....etc. The collection of them, together, indicate to me that the product is guaranteed to deliver exceptional performance because it has been tested and approved against regiments that make it so.

Make sense?

Because I have a great deal of faith in the euro oil testing and approval process. It isn't just LL-01 (if it was I'd have no problem just using the BMW 5w-30, but I don't think it is near the quality of PU 5w-40, M1 0w-40....etc) but the other certs/approvals these oils carry as well such as the Porsche approval, the MB approvals.....etc. The collection of them, together, indicate to me that the product is guaranteed to deliver exceptional performance because it has been tested and approved against regiments that make it so.

Make sense?

I would agree with this, because I know for a fact when on oil company in Europe (very small company) went through approval process for VW 504.00/507.00. The price: 3,200 Euros! So who ever claims that companies are not certifying their oils with for example VW, just because that is expensive, is just wrong! There are some other issues there!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Make sense?

I would agree with this, because I know for a fact when on oil company in Europe (very small company) went through approval process for VW 504.00/507.00. The price: 3,200 Euros! So who ever claims that companies are not certifying their oils with for example VW, just because that is expensive, is just wrong! There are some other issues there!

€3,200? Really? The number thrown around here is in the hundreds of thousands for certification.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Make sense?

€3,200? Really? The number thrown around here is in the hundreds of thousands for certification.

Yes it is 3,200 euro, and I will try to dig out that paper.
That is why I never went with non-approved oils. It is not expensive at all, and for marketing purposes it is actually beneficial, meaning there has to be catch why some oil companies are not doing it.

If they're not targeting it as a service fluid, then there's no reason to obtain formal approval. Motul 300V, for example, sells just fine without OEM certifications.

Originally Posted By: dparm
If they're not targeting it as a service fluid, then there's no reason to obtain formal approval. Motul 300V, for example, sells just fine without OEM certifications.

As far as I know 300V would not be able to meet it due to its purpose.

Originally Posted By: dparm

As far as I know 300V would not be able to meet it due to its purpose.

It's a streetable race oil, just like Red Line. They market it as such. I suspect that if it didn't pass, it wouldn't take any significant changes to make it pass.

I think the issue with 300V is one of longevity.

I remember reading an article about using race spec oils in a road car.

They are very high quality but designed for a very specific purpose. And meant to be changed much more often than oils for street use.

I noted that Millers Nano oils seem to be similarly affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back