Could Castrol Edge Extended-Performance (EP) 0W-20 SP be the best 0W-20 out there?

Just sticking to facts. Or trying to. Hard sometimes with some new people to the board who buy into this nonsense.
I never said anything about the validity of the tests, in fact I have cast doubt on them from the beginning. You’re reaching very hard for a reason to be pedantic showboat.

Comparing the old and updated PDSs, I noticed that the existing ACEA-C5 Castrol Edge Extended-Performance (EP) 0W-20 SP, without reformulation, is apparently also certified for the new ACEA C6, which along with the new ACEA A7/B7, is the strictest ACEA specification, stricter than ACEA A3/B4, ACEA C2, ACEA C3, ACEA C5, etc. It also carries many European-OEM approvals.

I am now thinking that the main difference between stricter OEM approvals and less strict OEM and/or industry approvals is the antioxidant (AO) content. More antioxidant (AO) results in a longer oil-change interval (OCI) and a cleaner engine among other things. ACEA C6 and the accompanying European-OEM approvals are the strictest approvals in the world. Given the fact that Castrol Edge Extended-Performance (EP) 0W-20 SP also claims a 20,000-mile OCI due to its higher antioxidant (AO) content, it is a win–win.

I still think TGMO 0W-20 SP is also a great choice with its polyol ester (POE; solvent), high moly (AW/EP/FM), and high boron content (dispersant), none of which Castrol has. However, I doubt TGMO 0W-20 SP has a high antioxidant (AO) content like Castrol has.

ACEA-C5 and ACEA-C6 versions of Castrol EP 0W-20 SP are identical:

It is not clear in the PDSs if Castrol is actually referring to the EP gold bottle. I am guessing that this is the case because of the Euro-OEM approvals.

In addition to providing LSPI and timing-chain protection, ACEA C6 reduces the valvetrain wear by 18% with respect to ACEA C5, improves the fuel economy, and reduces the engine and turbocharger deposits.

Oronite OLOA 54720 additive package meets BMW LL17FE+, MB229.71, Volvo RBS0-2AE 0W-20, WSS-M2C947-B1, WSS-M2C962-A1, ACEA C6, and API SP/RC (ILSAC GF-6).

The HTFS/VII table lists all the Castrol 0W-20 flavors. The flavors to avoid are Castrol Edge High-Mileage 0W-20 SP and Castrol GTX Full Synthetic 0W-20 SP due to a thin base oil (BO) and a high viscosity-improver (VII) content.

Nobody will ever know

I miss the OP Gokhan not being here. It would be cool if he asked Santa for keys stuffed atop his Mistletoe, to open his leg irons and handcuffs on Christmas Day.

In that same price range, I would opt for the 0w20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum over the Castrol Edge EP 0W20 Gokhan.

But wait, you know a-lot more about various oils than I Gokhan. I'm not sure the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 recipe was available when you started this thread. So I would bet you would pick the Ultra Platinum today in 2023.

Maybe on Christmas Day, you will tell me here, if I'm right or wrong.

How would this Castrol EP 0w20 SP perform in a VW which called for VW 508/509?
I know it doesn't have the VW approval but the OP asked if it "could be the best 0w20 out there"? ...so I'm wondering.
VW 508 is specified to aid in fuel economy, it doesn't prioritize durability which is why you cannot put 508 oil in older VAG products

I miss the OP Gokhan not being here. It would be cool if he asked Santa for keys stuffed atop his Mistletoe, to open his leg irons and handcuffs on Christmas Day.

In that same price range, I would opt for the 0w20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum over the Castrol Edge EP 0W20 Gokhan.

But wait, you know a-lot more about various oils than I Gokhan. I'm not sure the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 recipe was available when you started this thread. So I would bet you would pick the Ultra Platinum today in 2023.

Maybe on Christmas Day, you will tell me here, if I'm right or wrong.
What happened to him/her/it?

VW 508 is specified to aid in fuel economy, it doesn't prioritize durability which is why you cannot put 508 oil in older VAG products
Much like many of the new-generation oil specs, they aim for fuel economy (emissions) as well as durability. The wear test requirements of these new specs are often as tough as the older, higher viscosity oils. The reason you don't put a 0W-20 into an engine built for a 5W-30 is because it was built for a 5W-30 and a 0W-20 is not that.

Castrol EP is on 'CLEARANCE' at AA for $18.85 for the 5 qt. jug.
Odd. For me, the AA web site continues to show it at full price.

And the question remains - is something new and better coming from Castrol to replace it, if it really is going away?

If the Advance Auto counter clerks were smart, they had purchased all the Castrol Edge Gold EP that remained.
It's quite good (my results).... +better than the Black Edge when engine heard - when drained.

Reactions: 4WD
So is it just that Advance has stopped carrying it, rather than Castrol discontinuing it?

If so, no worries to me. They were usually $10 higher for a 5 qt jug in my local store than Amazon, so I haven't bought it from them lately.

Also, I just looked at Castrol's own web site. It's still shown there. You'd think if they were discontinuing it, they'd have cleared it off the site.

It’s very sad that Gokhan got banned bc certain people here didn’t like his out-of-the -box thinking and the new ‘methodologies’ he came up with. I thought he deserved recognition and credit for new ways of looking at oils and how they are formulated; but apparently we aren’t tolerant of new ways of thinking here.

Back