Is Walmart all you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked going to the auto stores as much as anyone. But with fram making the ultra filter and access to Mobil 1, pennzoil, castrol or valvoline at all walmarts, is there any need to go elsewhere?

The only thing that (usually) kept me from Walmart before was the long lines at the 1 or 2 cash registers that were open out of the 40 they had
21.gif
But now that my local WM has self check out registers with little or no line, there really is no reason not to go there for auto supplies. Plus, there's a good chance that while you're in the store, you'll be the classiest and most intelligent person there! WM bash over
smile.gif

honestly all my oil comes from WM.. i buy Napa Golds (on discount) at NAPA.. i buy several years worth at a time when i buy.. about the only exception to this is filters for the motorcycles.. I prefer black OEM bike filters so i go to the stealership..and they give me a deal anyways..

Its funny to see the look on the girls face at the register when i stockpile once every year or two and have 10+ jugs of oil in my cart.. good stuff !

I bought all my big oil stash at O'Reilly's and AutoZone

~100 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife .33 each
~20 quarts of Chevron Supreme HM .50 each
31 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra (the good stuff) $1 each

I typically buy Wix filters from O'Reilly's but my next filter will be a Fram Ultra from either Walmart or Amazon due to the BITOG hype.

While at Walmart getting excellent oil and Ultra filters, one can get toothpaste. Just sayin. oh, and you can admire all the great bodies walking around, not.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I typically buy Wix filters from O'Reilly's but my next filter will be a Fram Ultra from either Walmart or Amazon due to the BITOG hype.

How in the Hades do you get that for so cheap?

Especially when the prices aren't even close. Wal-Mart $25 vs. $36 for the exact same gallon of oil. That's crazy. I'd a $2-3 more to support a specialty store but not 35% more. Also some stores with "price matching" don't match oil prices--[censored].

Walmart has good oil and filter selection with low prices, but last few weeks, both Meijer and Kmart had excellent deals on oil , I got Meijer 5qt full synth for $14 and Super S synth blend for $1.80/qt.
Meijer also had that Fram oil filter sale b1g1 50% off.
Lets not forget NAPA with $3.49 full synth sale.
I guess that I'm lucky to have so many choice around me, that I can buy quality oil at lower prices than Walmart. Believe me I got enough oil to last me a long while.
Walmart is good, but with sales better deals can be found elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

How in the Hades do you get that for so cheap?

Clearance? Good timing helps too.

It never seems like I catch a good enough oil change special or promotion at the auto parts stores to save anything over Walmart. In the past I sometimes bought the oil at Walmart and the filter somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: capn233
It never seems like I catch a good enough oil change special or promotion at the auto parts stores to save anything over Walmart. In the past I sometimes bought the oil at Walmart and the filter somewhere else.

You need to check the sales and promotions section of this board. People post the great deals as a public service. This is how I stocked (8) 5.1qt jugs of Peak and a filter for $9.99/jug about 2 years ago.

Originally Posted By: kenpoed
I liked going to the auto stores as much as anyone. But with fram making the ultra filter and access to Mobil 1, pennzoil, castrol or valvoline at all walmarts, is there any need to go elsewhere?

Absolutely! Walmart is far from having all the maintenance supplies I need for my cars.

Does Walmart carry any decent differential fluids, let alone M1 differential fluid? Nope! I've got to go to Autozone. Does Walmart carry a decent selection of ATF fluid? Nope. I've got to go to Autozone for that also. Does Walmart carry ATF filters? NOPE!! Does Walmart carry a decent selection of brake fluid? Nope! By watching sales at Autozone, I get a much better price than Walmart offers, and a better selection. Does Walmart carry Wix air, oil, and cabin filters? Nope. I've got to go to NAPA. And, when I get my filters at NAPA while the 1/2 off sale is running, I get smoking good prices. Better than I would ever get at Walmart. Plus, Walmart doesn't even carry an oil filter that is truly compatible for my Outback. What about when I decide to add some Techron to the tank? I get a much better price by watching for when Autozone does Techron on a 2 for 1 special. Or I buy it by the case at Costco for a better price than Walmart.

I still pick up my oil at Walmart. Along with windshield cleaner fluid and Ice interior cleaner. Oh, and Sprayway glass cleaner. But each time I try to find other auto fluids and supplies at Walmart, I end up being disappointed, and reminded that they only have a mediocre auto supply department. Except for motor oil.

Last edited:
Engine oil is the ONLY thing I buy from Wal Mart. I avoid the place otherwise. I'm not a big fan of the business.

For oil filters or parts, I almost always buy from a dealership or online. I usually buy OE, so that cuts out Wal Mart as well as parts stores.

For everything else (e.g. tools), I go to parts stores or Sears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back