Is Toyota 0W-20 SN made in heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really all speculation about TGMO. There is no product data sheet or spec sheet showing what specs it meets. People are just going by UOA's, VOA's.

Anyone want to chip in and get the NOACK tested?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
grin.gif

Wow that could cause some major issues here, or propel it to an higher level if that's even possible.

grin.gif

If we get enough players I'm in.

Longo Toyota in El Monte now and then sells it for about $5.00 a quart but supplies are too limited. I have not posted one of their sales for a while for that reason. My car also can use the 5W-20 but not the 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
grin.gif

Wow that could cause some major issues here, or propel it to an higher level if that's even possible.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I don't think the NOACK spec' is any lower than 14 or 13%. 13% is the spec' for Sustina 0W-20 that is formulated using likely a more expensive very high VI GP III+ base oil than what Mobil is using to make TGMO.

For a 20wt application a very low NOACK is not necessary since maximum oil temp's are low. There are plenty of 10,000 mile UOAs of the oil with no top up oil added; so it's simply not an issue.

Anyway regarding having the oil tested not just for NOACK but also other spec's such as CCS which I'd be more interested in knowing. Since virtually everyone offers a 0W-20 grade now why not petition PQIA to start testing 0W-20 oils including the OEMs?
In fact I think I'll send Tom Glenn, president of PQIA an email making the request. ([email protected])

I have put around 13000mi on my current OCI of TGMO 0W20, and my OLM still reads 40% oil life, should I be worried?

And another crazy thing is I haven't had to add any oil, the level is still between the lower/upper mark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I have put around 13000mi on my current OCI of TGMO 0W20, and my OLM still reads 40% oil life, should I be worried?

I've never seen a UOA that long on TGMO so you are in uncharted territory. I'd change it now and have a UOA done.

Taking my 2013 Toyota Prius into the dealer for a FREE TMGO 0W-20 and filter change thanks to ToyotaCare no cost maintanence plan. Can't beat that!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
For a 20wt application a very low NOACK is not necessary since maximum oil temp's are low. There are plenty of 10,000 mile UOAs of the oil with no top up oil added; so it's simply not an issue.

It probably doesn't need a top up because it's mostly water from not getting warm enough to boil off the condensation if it makes engines run so cold...

A NOACK of 10.3 is very good for a 0w20. It is probably Visom/PAO or all Visom if I had to guess.

Just got my report back from blackstone, ran the oil for 13,000mi, but wear is still within average.

I will post the UOA when I get home, this oil is awesome for my Accord!

Originally Posted By: rikstaker
So the OP can determine the base stock of an oil by smelling it?

If anything with 0w-20's you can smell the VII's. That's been my experience. I've run ASM, TGMO, MGMO, AFE. I think so far the TGMO followed closely by Amsoil ASM has performed the best in our Honda. All about application. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back