Is Toyota 0W-20 SN made in heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: disneyfire
Interesting info....I looked in to the TGMO 0w20 for my Honda civic sI...The parts guy told me they don't sell it in 5 q. amounts..but only sell it by the quart. (7.25)
He then said....his Toyota "rep" told him...TGMO is the same as Mobil super synthetic.
Some on here have already stated that....some disagree, but it was interesting that that statement came from a dealership. Super synthetic 0w20 goes for around 5.00 i believe at AAP. Which is inline with the Toyota branded 0w20 at 7.25
hmm i wonder

It is very easy to convince anyone that TGMO 0W20 is a completely different oil from Mobil Super Synthetic - open a bottle of each and smell. The TGMO has a very distinctive - and strong - smell.

thumbsup2.gif

Ahh,, the smell test!
wink.gif

When I look at oils, I just study the specs. They don't look to be the same to me.
I might have a whiff if ones available..
grin2.gif

I also did a smell test on the latest batch of the TGMO 0W-20 SN.

To my surprise, the odor wasn't as strong as I expected. Perhaps there is no Group V alkylated naphthalene (AN) in it after all.

It's either that the last time I did a smell test, I overreacted to the odor or perhaps they changed the formulation.

Nevertheless, the odor was still much stronger than the odor of Mobil 1 0W-20 SM (not the SN) I also smelled and compared along with the TGMO 0W-20 SN.

VOA results will be interesting; so, stay tuned.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
[ TGMO contains (trinuclear) moly;

We know this for a fact ?

I think MolaKule reported that SOPUS and XOM oils use trimer moly.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I also did a smell test on the latest batch of the TGMO 0W-20 SN.

To my surprise, the odor wasn't as strong as I expected. Perhaps there is no Group V alkylated naphthalene (AN) in it after all.

It's either that the last time I did a smell test, I overreacted to the odor or perhaps they changed the formulation.

Nevertheless, the odor was still much stronger than the odor of Mobil 1 0W-20 SM (not the SN) I also smelled and compared along with the TGMO 0W-20 SN.

VOA results will be interesting; so, stay tuned.

You're probably just smelling all those impurities in its muddy river base oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back