Is there a straight 20 weigtht?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in the title, is there a straight SAE 20 oil?

This question is coming from the SAE 30 debate / posts.
A straight 8.8 cSt (or so) oil would be nice to have, wouldn't it?

With a search could not find anything here and all the oil manufacturer sites I have seen don't list it.
(Shell, Mobil1, Valvoline, etc)

Thanks.

It wouldn't have a viscosity of 8.8 cSt across the entire band. It's still going to be thicker when cold.

Thanks for the answers & links.
I understand that no engine oil known to man today (I guess) has a straight viscosity at every temp.

There have been UOA's on my type of car with 5W-20's and sheared down 10W-30's (to 20 weights) with good results so 20 weights don't hurt the engine.

On the European Valvoline site the SAE 20 isn't listed.
There is 10W oil though.
What are the specs for the SAE 20?
Visc @ 40C and 100C and VI?

I've compared the Pennzoil 20W-20 with the oil I'm using now, a 0W-30, with the "CapeCanaveral" caclulator and found that at +10C the 20W-20 allready is 67% thicker then the 0W-30.
I've been reading that the calculator isn't accurate at lower temps, at +10C it is?
Anyway.. at 0C the 20W-20 is about twice as thick.

I also hear the "chatter" at a cold start for the time the oil light is on, it is only for a second or so, probably less.

This whole "straight weight oil rocks" thing has me.. well.. not confused, but.. well.. I donno.
Are we going back to the good old days?

coffee.gif

Mr. G-MAN is Mr.Monograde man now. The more things change the more they stay the same, I guess. Before long we will have come full circle, and be back to using what our parents used in their cars, just better SM ingrediants.

When I was a kid my dad always ran Pennzoil 20W-20 in his '76 Malibu and '77 Chevy Van. He kept both for about 10 years and put 120-130k on both of them. Last I looked the oil grade was still available from Pennzoil. I've never seen it in a store however.

Spitfire - I don't think "a straight 8.8 cst [20] would be nice to have". Why be too thick when cold starting?
Multi weights are better for cold/cool temps - both starting and flow. So 0-20 or 5-20 would be better .

Quote:

Spitfire - I don't think "a straight 8.8 cst [20] would be nice to have". Why be too thick when cold starting?
Multi weights are better for cold/cool temps - both starting and flow. So 0-20 or 5-20 would be better .

If you look at the VI of Valvoline's current SM rated 20W, it's clear this oil will meet the cold pumping and cold cranking specs for a 10W, hence it could be labeled a 10w20.

For people who have cars spec'd for 5w20 but want to get away from oils with VI improvers, I think Valvoline 20W is a viable alternative to 5w20 at temps above 0F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back