Any way to temporarily "fix" large transmission leak?

Hi Guys. Long time reader of this forum. I'm in a screwed up situation at the moment and thought I might get some guidance here.

My only means of transportation currently is a 2007 Subaru Outback w/ 2.5 and automatic trans. The other day while driving home from work, it developed a severe ATF leak. It appears to be due to the torque converter seal. On my 30 mile drive, I lost enough ATF such that the car was barely able to pull into my driveway.
This was always a spare car and I've been using it while I'm making repairs to my normal DD. I have no option to get to work for the next week except for this Outback. I'm extremely cash strapped at the moment, so neither a rental or uber is an option.
Given that this car is destined to be scrapped anyway, is there anything I can add to the transmission that might at least slow the leak? I don't care if it's not a product intended for use with ATF, as long as it works. It only has to last for about 500 miles and then it goes byebye

I have never been the type to use additives to fix mechanical problems, but I'm grasping at straws. Any suggestions, please?

If you completely sure about the 500 miles, start dumping stuff in it to see if something does anything and keep a case of ATF in the trunk.

There's some commonly available products at your auto parts store, but I have no clue where to start.

For a 30 mile drive, probably not. You could try some sealant from the outside and see how badly that works.
I would be asking around at work to see if you can carpool with someone.
What's wrong with your other vehicle?

I used to own 2 vehicles and have had them both broken at the same time. Very annoying!

Trap the leakage inside the bellhousing until it starts leaking out elsewhere.
Maybe add another hole up high so it can vent any pressure build up? I assume the seal leaking isn't under pressure, so once you fill up the bellhousing to the oil level in the transmission it shouldn't really leak any more?
Also if your neighbor has a hydrostatic transmission tractor, he probably has pails of used tractor hydraulic fluid, that isn't really all that dirty and is probably fine for 500 miles or less in the subaru.

I’d also be concerned about what caused the converter seal to suddenly go bad. I’ve seen thrust bearing on the crankshaft crack and cause the crank to “walk” and that will beat the crank seals along with converter seal out. Excessive wear (metal) inside the trans eating the seal and surfaces and the list goes on…

Maybe add another hole up high so it can vent any pressure build up? I assume the seal leaking isn't under pressure, so once you fill up the bellhousing to the oil level in the transmission it shouldn't really leak any more?
Also if your neighbor has a hydrostatic transmission tractor, he probably has pails of used tractor hydraulic fluid, that isn't really all that dirty and is probably fine for 500 miles or less in the subaru.
Except for the torque converter spinning around, that's gotta make a mess.

I'm not really sure how it's known that it's the seal that's leaking either unless the cover was removed.

Last 528e I had developed a lip seal leak. Wife drove it home and apparently did it no harm. But Dex3 was leaking in a stream. I got a gallon of Supertech and a funnel. I had to stop 3 times to add ATF to drive the car 20 miles. :cool:

Hi Guys. Long time reader of this forum. I'm in a screwed up situation at the moment and thought I might get some guidance here.

My only means of transportation currently is a 2007 Subaru Outback w/ 2.5 and automatic trans. The other day while driving home from work, it developed a severe ATF leak. It appears to be due to the torque converter seal. On my 30 mile drive, I lost enough ATF such that the car was barely able to pull into my driveway.
This was always a spare car and I've been using it while I'm making repairs to my normal DD. I have no option to get to work for the next week except for this Outback. I'm extremely cash strapped at the moment, so neither a rental or uber is an option.
Given that this car is destined to be scrapped anyway, is there anything I can add to the transmission that might at least slow the leak? I don't care if it's not a product intended for use with ATF, as long as it works. It only has to last for about 500 miles and then it goes byebye

I have never been the type to use additives to fix mechanical problems, but I'm grasping at straws. Any suggestions, please?
In my experience, if you continue to drive it, you will probably completely ruin the transmission in a VERY few miles (like 3). Find other transportation or or on top of everything else, you will also very likely to have to pay to have it towed off the highway when it fails.

Cash strapped? Use a credit card to pay for immediate repairs to one car or the other or to rent a car (or to buy a driveable junker). Or miss a couple of days from work and fix this one or the DD.

Period, end of story, do not pass go.

you are grasping at straws.. only suggestion I have is you find a 5 gallon pail of tranny fluid and a funnel if you want to keep it moving for a week. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...fluid-dexron-iii-h-mercon-5-gallon/oro0/72409

My only means of transportation currently is a 2007 Subaru Outback w/ 2.5 and automatic trans. The other day while driving home from work, it developed a severe ATF leak. It appears to be due to....
Find out for sure where it's coming from and make necessary repairs. Or pretend it's already gone the 300 miles and say good-bye to it now?

Back