Is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doppler effect or no, you can still hear a loud exhaust coming your way. Stand at the finish line of a quarter mile on race day and you will clearly observe you can hear the loud cars and bikes coming from the moment they leave the line. The sound is more pronounced to the rear, but still very audible infront of the vehicle.

sound is faster than any street legal vehicle in the world.

Yep - I can see drivers check their mirror as I come up behind on a noisy bike, on a quiet bike they don't even know I'm there. Not that I count on it, it's just another thing in my survival kit.

[/quote]

There is a law...but many inspection shops ignore it (the way the law is written, ALL aftermarket exhaust fails inspection), and the police won't enforce it. There are enough riders that it will never be enforced.

So...the children have proven to be irresponsible, so it is time to take away their toys. [/quote]

Its childish to think that would ever happen ... even childish for me to respond, but guess there is some child in all of us :eek:)

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard a Harley with straight pipes coming down a road towards them? Geez! Keep the doppler effect for the weather guessers! When does common horse sense kick in? I knew this thread was headed for Harley bashing as soon as it was posted. I saw a guy on a GSXR recently twist it to the rev limiter several times while waiting for the light to change. I actually liked hearing it, but I'm sure most folks around him didn't. Deal with it and he'll be gone in a minute!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
It is not "Harley bashing". It is the fact that MOST noiseboxes are Harleys!

True because most motorcycles on the road over 600cc are Harleys. More Harleys on the road then ALL other makers combined.
Harley sells more motorcycles in the USA over 600 cc, EVERY YEAR (so far) then all other companies combined.
BUt, you will find your fair share of others with non muffled exhaust, just not as many of them, because there are so few on the road, compared to Harley.
Big thing lately is the ear splitting crack of sport bikes.

Bottom line, stop looking to Washington to fix things and insist your local public servants enforce the law.
Have you not noticed, the people you elect to office are not doing their job, what about Washington too? Are they doing their job? It amazes me that people look to Washington to fix things, when the people who elect them there are brain dead, here is the proof.
Ps, said my peace ... here is the intelligence of the average voter .. Click here for proof

This isnt Washgingtons fault, its the voters who put them there fault. We have laws coming out of our a** , all mean nothing because everything now a days is a fairy tale, including the economy and the proof is the above link.
So lets stop the [censored], insist your laws are enforced, no excuses, anything else is just lazy.

Last edited:
I have never heard a zoom-splat (even an unmuffled track bike!) that was audible at half a mile.

Good thing Jarlaxle doesn't live next to a good buddy of mine, always tuning the thing getting ready for the road.... http://j-srepair.com/wildchild/index.htm.
25.gif

Laws are sand... customs are rock... laws can be evaded and
punishment escaped... but a openly transgressed custom should
bring swift condemnation on our part... Less Sound = More
Ground... because the days of unmuffled exhaust are over... loud
exhaust does not clear one's path because sound is subject to the
Doppler effect...

How difficult would it be for the aftermarket companies to design and produce exhaust systems that are both quiet (while still having a deep, throaty sound) and enhance performance? It doesn't seem like that would be that difficult to do...

They do. Akrapovic has an after market exhaust that deepens the sound and allows better flow than stock, as do others. The Suzuki sounds nice with it. I run an aftermarket on my Harley that's baffled. I could pass by your house at 2:00 AM and you would never know it. It's more about the operator than the bikes exhaust. The days of unmuffled exhaust are over.....REALLY?

The doppler effect does not make the sound go away....again, you can still hear a loud exhaust coming for some distance as it approaches you at 55mph.

The sound merely changes as it approaches and passes. The only objects with loud exhaust that approach with no noise but leave with great noise have to break the sound barrier. Something no street legal sport bike or cruiser is capable of doing.

Like I said...stand at the end of a quarter mile and watch the street bikes with loud exhausts. Or even go to an air show where they have the old piston driven fighter planes that buzz the airfield...even at 300mph plus you can hear those old merlin and allison v12's coming right at you.

You have a loose grip on the science of the doppler effect if you believe there is no appreciable sound on approach.

Last edited:
Loud pipes do save lives ...I know it. However there are different loud pipe owners.

There is the considerate neighbor that starts the machine while sitting on it and slowly exits the neighborhood understanding that needlessly revving a cold motor is just stupid.

And then the we have the jerk-off neighbor that for some reason needs to work the throttle a few minutes to broadcast the size of his equipment before climbing aboard and running up fist gear by the end of the block.

Stop whining dood and get some earplugs or call the cops over and over until they do something not "I called them twice last year"

I have a loud pipe on a sport bike and keep it as quiet as I can near home. The loud pipe is not for the car hundreds of feet ahead so Doppler theory is ridiculous. It IS for the anxiety medicated cellular texting ADD biomorph trying to change lanes for no apparent reason and run into me. If I could fit a train horn on my bike i would.

...Sheesh this concludes my first post rant.

Good explanation Rob. I remember going to Myrtle Beach during summers before the air force base closed, and when those F-16's would take off and fly over the beach you wouldn't hear the plane until it was over the beach and had scared the daylights out of everyone from the exhaust blast. It's like the sound of a train approaching then passing in an old movie. Loud at first then deafening as it passes. The sound from trains, motorcycles etc are much more pronounced on approach as they are traveling much slower than the speed of sound.

Originally Posted By: grampi
How difficult would it be for the aftermarket companies to design and produce exhaust systems that are both quiet (while still having a deep, throaty sound) and enhance performance? It doesn't seem like that would be that difficult to do...

It's not difficult if you own a Lathe and a Mill... I fabricated my own Carbon Fiber Exhaust Can...
1438376909_43955a4877_o.jpg

I rolled my own perforated steal I machined a 7075 T6 aluminum end caps and stamped the
required 90 dba in order to pass Laguna Seca's Tech Inspector as a stock exhaust...
526545754_fd3267150c_o.jpg

348296035_84a330939c_o.jpg

348012397_fcb48d54eb_o.jpg

Listen to the RC45... I think it sounds great but it won't save any lives...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The doppler effect does not make the sound go away....again, you can still hear a loud exhaust coming for some distance as it approaches you at 55mph.

True at 55 but you're not going to startle any cagers by passing them that slow... rip pass
their ears at triple digits and what the Doppler Effect catch them off guard...

275924291_06ce8ee0c2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back