Is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
This is what jarlaxle posted on another forum about people with loud pipes.

" I truly hope this censored next ride ends with him under a dump truck!"

And...

"At this point...I hope he goes into a bridge abutment at 65."

Real nice huh.

I gave up on "nice" the thirtieth time the dude blasted me out of a sound sleep at 2am with his noisebox. It was 2:13 last night.

What brand of straightpipes do you run?

I have stock mufflers on my bike but I don't go off the deep end when some one doesn't.

One more time: I will run up a Winston Cup engine directly outside your bedroom at 2am every night for a week! Because THAT is what I am dealing with. 2am. Open pipes. EVERY. BLOODY. NIGHT!

Ok, how's this: I will run up a Winston Cup engine directly outside your bedroom at 2am every night for a week! Because THAT is what I am dealing with.

If you have endured this nuisance for a week, then it's on you. I would have called the local constable about 6 days ago.

One more time: I will run up a Winston Cup engine directly outside your bedroom at 2am every night for a week! Because THAT is what I am dealing with. 2am. Open pipes. EVERY. BLOODY. NIGHT!

When I was still working, and living in town (In CA) there was an [censored]hat with a straight piped HD that would ride home at 11:00pm every Sunday night.....So loud that is set off car alarms for blocks. I got up at 4 for work, so it was not something I found easy to ignore.

One Sunday night, when I was off on Monday, I was still up when the moron did his weekly run. I ran out and got in my car, and followed the racket to his house.

He was pretty drunk (Big surprise) and did not take my criticism very nicely.

The next day, the subject came up when I was talking with the neighborhood coffee clatch (Old retired guys....And me.) One of the guys showed interest, and took down the offender's address.

The next Sunday night, there was a police car in front of my house at 9:00 when I hit the rack. As expected, the bozo did his strafing run at 11......But it was his last. The word back was that the cop followed him home, he was drunk as well as belligerant, no license and on probation. That was about 12 years ago......He is probably out, by now.

You know you're getting old when loud exhaust systems make you mad. LoL

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Jarlaxle said:

Call the police ... simple as that. That situation is a bit different than some guy driving around with a loud exhaust system.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Ok, how's this: I will run up a Winston Cup engine directly outside your bedroom at 2am every night for a week! Because THAT is what I am dealing with.

If you have endured this nuisance for a week, then it's on you. I would have called the local constable about 6 days ago.

Called three times, twice last year, once this year. They did JACK and SQUAT.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You know you're getting old when loud exhaust systems make you mad. LoL

Not loud exhaust systems. Ongoing SLEEP DEPRIVATION!

You need to get real. You mean that one minute of a loud motorcycle exhaust a few times a week has given you sleep deprivation. It can't take him longer that that to ride by your house. I have to get up at least three times a night and use the potty. I know I'm up each time longer than it takes a motorcycle to ride by my house. I go right back to sleep when I get back in the bed. I am having no sleep problems at all. But I can see why you would because you have a major fit every time it happens and fume about it the rest of the night. There are far worse things than that can happen to you. You seem to have major issues.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
After much thought, I am truly starting to think it may be: is it time to mandate unaltered stock exhaust on all street-ridden motorcycles? The noiseboxes are just out of control.

Perhaps that loud sound has accomplished precisely what the owner wanted: your attention.

That way, you don't run over/hit/kill the motorcycle that you didn't see...because you heard it first...

word...

i own 2 harleys,every time i come up behind a car they look in their rear view mirror.

i hate the noise the pipes make but i appreciate the proper attention while going 70 mph...

Is there no ordinance with motorcycle exhaust noise like there is with cars? Too loud of a car exhaust here out in traffic will get you pulled over and ticketed.

If the worst thing one has to complain about in life is the loud exhaust of a motorcycle, one lives a blessed existence.

Also....just because of one butthead annoying you here and there, the rest of us have to suffer.

Something seems distinctly un-American about that to me. Right up there with how they want to ban all sorts of guns every time some random nutjob misuses one. We always seem to ignore the thousands or in some cases millions of people who do it right.

I also agree with the gent that said what Europeans do shouldn't matter here in the USA. If Germany was so good to my family, we would have not moved here.

Last edited:
Oh, there is a noise ordinance...it is totally unenforced and completely ignored.

Just talking here. So, if I get this correctly, because of the complete failure of your police agency in New England to enforce the law, you think its time for the United States government to mandate that motorcycle riders can not use any exhaust system except what is an OEM part.

To me that is a cop out on your part to have your public SERVANTS properly do their job and because of the lack of good choices by the voters up there, it seems you want to impose your issues on the rest of the nation. (btw, just having fun with this but its really up to you as a taxpayer to have your police and elected officials do their job. You do pay their salary)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Oh, there is a noise ordinance...it is totally unenforced and completely ignored.

Just talking here. So, if I get this correctly, because of the complete failure of your police agency in New England to enforce the law, you think its time for the United States government to mandate that motorcycle riders can not use any exhaust system except what is an OEM part.

To me that is a cop out on your part to have your public SERVANTS properly do their job and because of the lack of good choices by the voters up there, it seems you want to impose your issues on the rest of the nation. (btw, just having fun with this but its really up to you as a taxpayer to have your police and elected officials do their job. You do pay their salary)

Well said. Hopefully Jarlaxle gets a little sleep and sees this with a clear mind.

There is a law...but many inspection shops ignore it (the way the law is written, ALL aftermarket exhaust fails inspection), and the police won't enforce it. There are enough riders that it will never be enforced.

So...the children have proven to be irresponsible, so it is time to take away their toys.

There is a law...but many inspection shops ignore it (the way the law is written, ALL aftermarket exhaust fails inspection), and the police won't enforce it. There are enough riders that it will never be enforced.

So...the children have proven to be irresponsible, so it is time to take away their toys.

What a flawed thought process. There are already laws in place to eliminate the problem, they are (according to you) comletely ignored and you think that passing more laws that presumably will also be ignored is a solution?

I get that you are angry and frustrated, but your post sounds like a temper tantrum. Perhaps your Cadillac should be restored to stock condition or be confiscated. Is it as quiet as the day it left the factory? How do the emissions compare?

One inconsiderate jerk disrupts your sleep and now everyone must pay? After all, if his bike already violates the law, do you think a new law will somehow have him snap into compliance? No, the only people who will comply are those who already respect the law.

Compared to when it was built, it is no louder and runs cleaner. (It blew cleaner than my Cherokee on the last IM240 test.)

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Loud pipes on motorcycles DO save lives.

Negative...

A loud exhaust might save a life if it weren't subject to the phenomenon
known as the Doppler effect... What that means is the faster your bike
moves the more the sound moving forwards is squeezed and the more the
sound moving backwards is stretched, and the greater the observed drop
in pitch...

Only while your bike is sitting still do you escape the Doppler effect...

ASdopple.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back