Is 20W20 a mono-grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To your question in the title:
It's obviously just a multigrade (for lack of more information). Why would the consumer assume it is more than what it's labeled?

If I made a straight grade (aka. no VII) that was also a multi grade I would label it as such for the consumer (sae20W/sae20/sae20W-20). The presence of the monograde rating would clearly indicate this is a straight grade.
Some blenders don't care, obviously, and want to keep things simple and market the grade they see fit for their specific target.

Having no other guarantee on the label that the 20W20 is shear proof (straight), I wouldn't be comfortable using a 20W20 in a transmission asking for a sae20 for example; especially as it would most likely be less viscous at operating temperature (e.g. 60C) as the higher VI would surface .
Same viscosity difference issue goes for using 75W90 in lieu of SAE90 when the latter is the only choice given by the manufacturer.

Monogrades are making a comeback in manual transmission as most cars today spec the 75W when they could've gone for 70W80 for instance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Ducman - I can't resist - Malcolm, Joe, Julie, Tony, Barnaby..............????

I rule the question out of order.

When is my helicopter coming to pick me up?

Originally Posted By: tudorart
Monogrades are making a comeback in manual transmission as most cars today spec the 75W when they could've gone for 70W80 for instance.

It's just marketing in this instance.
The line is well and truly blurred with these viscosities in this example and suggested application.

I watched the AU Parliament in session once. That was good enough for me. Are they always that rowdy? Quite embarrassing actually.

Petro-Canuck used to call their Duron 20W20, now they list it as SAE 20, but in the text they show a 15W CC and pumping pass.

Chevron is the only other big-un around here that lists a 20 in their Delo 400. They dropped the SAPS in all but the 30&40 below the old CF-2.

There must be a call for it, likely as a multi-task fluid that in a pinch can be poured in, over or on just about anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: used_0il

Caterpillar drive train fluids (TO-4s) have some strict rules attached to their approval process. I believe VII free is one of the requirements.

cat%20t04.jpg

like that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back