- very smooth
- properly balanced
- thin low profile
- light weight
- recessed quick release button
- recessed directional switch
- will never ever switch direction on you by itself
- etc

And you can have all that with real tools (except for the 120 tooth count which is totally unnecessary).
None of those ratchets in the article are good enough for me. I gotta have real tools.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Heck, even 200-300 ft-lb. That's a LOT of torque... I mean, think of the output of your engine being in that range typically.

Unless it's a Honda, LOL!!!!
grin.gif

255HP/250 lb-ft for my Honda.

And the fact you had to mention that sort of made my point in a roundabout way, LOL
wink.gif

The current Accord I4 makes 181lb-ft, you have to opt for the V6 to get above 200.

The joke was more a byproduct of the "fast and furious" scene where the S2000 was being revered for its HP/L whilst putting down a whopping 150lb-ft of torque
smile.gif
That's the same as the torque required for my lug nuts on the Expedition
grin.gif
(another facet to that joke).

Most production non-turbo I-4's, of any make, produce less than 200 lb-ft of torque. You still don't have a point, or a joke.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Vikas
- high tooth count 120+
- zero slop
- very smooth
- properly balanced
- thin low profile
- light weight
- etc

And you can have all that with real tools (except for the 120 tooth count which is totally unnecessary).
None of those ratchets in the article are good enough for me. I gotta have real tools.

They are good enough for me. I'm just a weekend DIYer. My tools sit idle 99% of the time.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Vikas
- high tooth count 120+
- zero slop
- very smooth
- properly balanced
- thin low profile
- light weight
- etc

They are good enough for me. I'm just a weekend DIYer. My tools sit idle 99% of the time.

Agree.

A Toy is a tool that doesn't pay for itself.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Most production non-turbo I-4's, of any make, produce less than 200 lb-ft of torque. You still don't have a point, or a joke.

Relax, it was a joke, you don't necessarily have to find it funny (which you obviously don't), it was more a V8 guy thing back when the [censored] cannon Civic scene was really in vogue. I nostalgically revived it when the opportunity presented because I personally found it funny. However, if you were never part of the backstory I could certainly see somebody not extracting any sort of amusement from it.

I'm a DIYer too, but I can't stand junky tools. I'm what you call, "tool sensitive."

I'll give you an example: I've got a set of 1/2 inch drive GearWrench sockets. When I go to snap the socket onto a ratchet or an extension, the socket doesn't stop where it's supposed to; it goes past the friction ball before stopping. Most guys would never notice, but I do. They'd be a very nice socket if it weren't for that.

Where is Wright Tool? Their 1/2 is like a Merkava
smile.gif

Really, the most confidence inspiring 1/2 ratchet I own

Originally Posted By: Y_K
smile.gif

Had to cost about $20 or less to get into the test.

The purpose of the test wasn't to find out the best ratchet, it was to find out what you can get new or used for $20 .

Originally Posted By: Trav
With ratchets for me its all about how it feels in the hand, how smooth it is and the function of the forward/reversing lever.

You saved me some typing. +1000

I'm a DIYer too, but I can't stand junky tools. I'm what you call, "tool sensitive."

I'll give you an example: I've got a set of 1/2 inch drive GearWrench sockets. When I go to snap the socket onto a ratchet or an extension, the socket doesn't stop where it's supposed to; it goes past the friction ball before stopping. Most guys would never notice, but I do. They'd be a very nice socket if it weren't for that.

The tool sensitivity might also be from what you're wrenching on. Is it your car or a thrashed push mower you found along the street?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Y_K
smile.gif

about 1.4miles NNE from my house
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
about 1.4miles NNE from my house
smile.gif

Do they have a factory store there?

I work down the street from Wright Tool company and own many of their products. No they do not have a factory store where you can make purchases but there are plenty of local dealers.
DSC00009.JPG

Cornwell is local as well and they don't offer a public store either but again have good local dealer support.
DSC00011.JPG

Matco is local too but they don't actually manufacture anything but tool boxes. Every other product they offer is re-badged something else.

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
Cornwell is local as well and they don't offer a public store either but again have good local dealer support.

I can't make up my mind which ratchets I like better between Snap-on and Cornwell. They both have their positive attributes. The metal handle on the Cornwell is definitely more comfortable.

I have the Duralast 1/2 and all 3/8 and 1/4 ratchets they offer. For the value I dont think they can be beat. They are a shameless copy of the Snap on 936 ratchet , however they are a superb copy at that. I am constantly impressed with their quality. I often times find myself reaching for these ratchets first, over SK , Armstrong and Craftsman Premium ratchets. I have found that "clipping" the pawl spring on these, along with a light machine oil makes them smooth as butter. While I dont know how well they would handle professional day to day use, for the average diy they are fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back