insurance company claim problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents own a mint 2003 Lincoln LS with every available option including factory chrome wheels. The car is taken care of very well. One of the wheels and one tire was damaged by a big pothole they hit. The insurance company they have wants to replace the wheel with a "recycled" one. The estimate from the repair shop they went to quoted them a new wheel from Lincoln. I told my Dad I would not accept a "recycled" or in other words used wheel. I know the insurance company is trying to save money, but I just don't think it's right to not get a factory original wheel like the one they had. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was the outcome?

using insurance for wheel replacement?

Anyway, they can probably have the wheel repaired. They can be done right.

Also, I had a thread in this subforum in regards to OEM bumper covers vs. aftermarket where Win gave good advice although you have to keep in mind that laws vary from state to state.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
using insurance for wheel replacement?

That's what I was thinking. Lending companies demand a $500 deductible to limit THEIR risk, it doesnt mean that it is a good deal.

What is their deductible? Is it $500? If so, theyll be spending $500 out of pocket on the $1075 purchase, and their insurance will more than likely go up - they are a bigger risk now since they drive where they are prone to hitting pot holes.

Id start looking for wheels for sale on a forum pertaining to those cars - likely they can find one.

I find it hard to believe that it costs $1000 for ONE wheel.

Pay it out of pocket, and keep the insurance for a $5000 issue.

Get a mint looking used one. It's insane to pay that much for one wheel.

Last edited:
I saw that it was 746.02 on that website, still way too high for that wheel. The link was to show the MSRP of the wheel which some people were questioning. The repair shop they got the estimate from uses Ford parts from the Ford dealership without a discount.

Theres nothing wrong with a used wheel. The other 3 wheels on the car are used.

For fun.......Lets say that I changed the oil in a customers car but left the plug loose. Lets say that the car has 80k on it.

I'm responsible for making the car like it was before my goofup. I need to replace the engine with another and it does not have to be new or rebuilt. It can be used with the same milage or less.

Anyway I don't see why you don't want the used rim as long as it's in good shape.

The other 3 wheels on the car are mint, they get cleaned and polished on a regular basis, no road salt, etc.... There would be a slim chance of a salvage yard having one in as good of condition.

Also, if my engine was damaged from a goofup like that I would expect a new engine, not a used one that has who knows what history.

Last edited:
I would be perfectly happy with a used or refurbished rim if it was in the same condition as the 3 remaining rims. If the 3 other rims look like new then they need to find a rim that looks like new, even if it is used.

I'd be most concerned about rim damage from tire mounting and dismounting. Make sure a used rim has a good bead with no corrosion.

A brand new wheel on a 8 year old car is probably a betterment, so I'm not surprised the insurance company won't spring for it.

Honestly, for 1000 dollars you could get four new wheels and tires from tirerack.

I'd buy one off ebay. I found a bunch of wheels for an '03 LS for under $200, depending on style, size, and condition.

It's a 7 year old car, and the wheels on it are also 7 years old. I think it's silly to file a claim for a problem you can solve for around $300 cash.

I am in the same camp as you in regards to the new tire approach. However, I call shenanigans on the repair shop that says it doesn't get a discount. Or, are you saying that they didn't include any sort of discount in the estimate?

Are they up for new wheels all around?

What price is the insurance company offering?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
A brand new wheel on a 8 year old car is probably a betterment, so I'm not surprised the insurance company won't spring for it.

Honestly, for 1000 dollars you could get four new wheels and tires from tirerack.

NOT probably a betterment on this car, the other 3 wheels are perfect, like new.....car has very low miles...30K.....And yes, they could buy a cheap aftermarket silver painted set of wheels and tires for a little under 1000.00, but they look cheap. A quality set of CHROME aftermarket wheels and tires would run about 2000.00. I am very knowledgeable about wheels, and have ordered many sets of wheels and tires from TireRack and Discount Tire Direct since the mid 90s. The insurance company actually sent my parents a check today for around 550.00 after the deductible and I have came up with the solution for me to send the wheel off for repair and re-chrome and order a new tire online(the tire was damaged as well), have them mounted and balanced and be done with it. Then they will probably be trading for a new Avalon or Maxima in a month or two.....I just thought someone might have had a similar experience, I will rethink starting a new topic like this in the future.....

Originally Posted By: benjamming

I am in the same camp as you in regards to the new tire approach. However, I call shenanigans on the repair shop that says it doesn't get a discount. Or, are you saying that they didn't include any sort of discount in the estimate?

Are they up for new wheels all around?

What price is the insurance company offering?

no discount included on the estimate, repair shop never said it got a discount.....

they are not up for new wheels......

insurance is offering around 550.00.....

If this is a claim on your own insurance, I would read your policy. You can bet that there is a clause that they can replace parts with LKQ Like Kind and Quality aka used parts. It will also say that they can use aftermarket or used parts in the repair.

Just like others have mentioned. like new or not. it's still a 7 year old vehicle with 7 year old wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back