Inside oil filter, engine done for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
filtermedia.jpg

This is an oil filter my friend cut open on his car... any ideas/thoughts? The engine has a slight ticking noise.

I think the filter has only been in service about 3k miles. Not sure what filter he was using. Here is a pic of the oil that was in the filter:
oilfromfilter.jpg

You won't know for sure unless you do an oil analysis on the oil. Without that we can only speculate, but it does appear the oil is not right...water or coolant contamination? Or are the specs pieces of metal?? Hard to tell just by a photo.

IF that's metal, it certainly isn't a good sign!
Done for? I would say engine life has definitely been shortened. OTOH, it still may last a lot of miles??

One mans "ticking" may be another mans "hammering".

He could rebuild it or just drive it and see what happens.

What was the cause? Just too much hot rodding or?

The ticking noise was present for awhile but the car drove fine. After the blower install the ticking noise got louder. Those are aluminum metal shavings in the oil filter.

Quote:

The ticking noise was present for awhile but the car drove fine. After the blower install the ticking noise got louder. Those are aluminum metal shavings in the oil filter.

I think the key phrase is "After the blower install".
wink.gif

Quote:

gen 1 Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC motor

It's possible the motor simply had bad timing chain tensioners...that's a fairly common problem...but since your friend continued to drive it, especially if he drove in a "spirited" fashion after installing the blower, then yeah...I'd say that motor is now one step from being a boat anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back