Status
Not open for further replies.
Righty Tighty.....Lefty Loosie?

JUST KIDDING
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Overly tightened oil filter issues.
As others have noted, this has nothing to do with the brand of oil filter installed.
Still, a PITA.

Fram is still [censored], I'd never let anything Fram makes touch my vehicles.

I don't know how old you are nor how long you've been maintaining your own vehicles, but I used Fram oil filters for many years in many different applications and never had a problem.

The sure grip paint turns "hand tight" into "over tight". Guilty of that with the first Ultra I used. After an hour of swearing I got it off. Takes some getting used to compared to the regular slippery smooth can.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
The sure grip paint turns "hand tight" into "over tight". Guilty of that with the first Ultra I used. After an hour of swearing I got it off. Takes some getting used to compared to the regular slippery smooth can.

That's why the usual is to feel the gasket make contact and then rotate 2-3/4.

I wonder if Cold_Canuk goes over the cars and removes all OEM Fram when they are purchased.

Those strap type filter wrenches always crush the can like that. It's just how they work, they put far more squeezing pressure on the can than a regular filter wrench does. Put it down as close to the base as possible and just keep turning it. It will crush the filter, but eventually it will start turning and come off. I've used them many times. Every time they crush the filter but I've never had one that I couldn't get off, and I've used them on some filters that were rreally stuck on.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I usually go for 1/2-3/4.

2/3 to 3/4 turn after well oiled gasket makes initial contact works good for me.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I usually go for 1/2-3/4.

2/3 to 3/4 turn after well oiled gasket makes initial contact works good for me.

I usually tighten them with 24" ChannelLocks until the gasket starts to squeeze out.
06.gif

Seriously, just as Z06 described it, that's how I have always tightened them.
thumbsup2.gif

The reason that I said 1/2 is that I try to do 90 degree turns and get it to about 3/4, but don't push it too much if it gets tough after the second twist. We probably end up in the same ballpark, I just can't do some of those fancy angles when at arms reach under a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Fram orange can may be overpriced but its not a bad filter.
The can is decent and the media isn't bad, the complaints about cardboard end caps are baseless, it doesn't mean much.
How many engines have been running with these filters for decades? Overpriced is about it.

The media is not too bad but the main problem is not enough of it. Fram Extra Guard usually has much less media than its closest competitor Purolator Classic, and cost about 20-30% more.

Several reponses of how this is not Fram's fault.

Hello?? They guy never said it was and was very clear that the reason the filter was so tight was due to the previous oil changer person not lubing the seal and putting it on too tight.

People..please read completely before commenting. Been seeing a lot of this lately and it can be annoying.

I purchased a dozen Fram HM3600 oversized (for my application) for $20 from Summit. Did I overpay?

Winning

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I purchased a dozen Fram HM3600 oversized (for my application) for $20 from Summit. Did I overpay?

Winning

You can always cut them open and use the hair gel inside them.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Hello?? They guy never said it was and was very clear that the reason the filter was so tight was due to the previous oil changer person not lubing the seal and putting it on too tight.

The original thread subject was something like "problem with orange can" or some such thing before Bill corrected it.

Sorry for the confusion. My original subject was Orange Can Issues. It honestly was whoever put the previous filter on that made the mistake, and I am sure that I would have ran into the issue with any brand of filter. But I was just frustrated with it, and because I have a negative disposition to Fram filters, I just vented a bit. I am not necessarily saying Fram filters are bad. I do not think I know enough to make that decision, but I was just tired and angry when I made the post.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

The original thread subject was something like "problem with orange can" or some such thing before Bill corrected it.

Oh, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the mini-rant. Makes sense now.

Once you use the incorrect tool to loosen a tight filter and begin to distort/kink the can it can get real testy real quick.

I had a '98 Corolla (probably same motor as Prism mentioned) and changed the oil/filter many times over 150k miles. With the correct endcap socket it was a piece of cake.

I find that the large pump pliers will remove pretty well any difficult filter.

Eric, your friend probably tried to turn the filter and realized how bad it was... then he got you to do it
thumbsup2.gif

So... bozos in order of appearance:
1) Guy who tightened filter too much without lube.
2) Guy who ran the poor thing for 8,000 miles before servicing
3) Guy who got sucked in to changing the filter and didn't have sense to say "Hey, I'm over my head here and it isn't even my car"

j/k

Over my head? The only thing overhead was his car
grin.gif
. I eventually got it off, it just took a while and all the tricks in my book. Next time, Ill just take a grinder to it, and the rest of the car too (sarcasm btw).

Originally Posted By: ericgcollyer
Next time, Ill just take a grinder to it, and the rest of the car too (sarcasm btw).

Strapping a stick of TNT on the filter and lighting the fuse works pretty good.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back