Impact wrench questions

Good to know about HF bits. Work hardened the bits so quickly- must have used them frequently in the past? Were they intended for impact use?
They were not impact bits but I had never used them with an impact before. I was never a power tool guy thanks to my military aviation training and it took a while to break that silly habit.

It was just a rotor hold down screw so pretty light duty even though they were rusted. The Ryobi just hammered away - you could feel the bits get hot. The Dewalt rattled for a half second and out they came.

The idea then is to buy a car new, take out every bolt and screw and nut in the whole car, apply anti-seize and reassemble. Hopefully you remembered where they all go. And have none leftover when you reassembled the car.
To be fair to his point I am the second owner of my Touareg and it lived the first 70k miles in the Pittsburgh area.

The car is essentially rust free except for some of the cheaper fasteners. The rotor set screws were very crusty but the caliper bolts were not, stuff like that.

Back