Impact wrench questions

Hey gang,

I’m going to be buying my first impact wrench (or wrenches) soon. I’ve decided to go with Ryobi’s 18v OnePlus line because I already have the batteries with other Ryobi products I own and I’m just a casual DIYer. I’m curious how you go about determining 1/2” or 3/8” impact? Or both? Most of the foreseeable work I’ll have is lugnuts, brake jobs, and very occasional suspension work (possibly new shocks soon on a Subaru). I suppose a wheel bearing may rear it’s ugly head in the future, but no issue there yet. I do need to replace some tie rods and sway links soon too. Nothing on heavy duty trucks, but just regular passenger cars. How do I know what size wrench will be best for these type of jobs or would it be best to have both? Thanks!

If you plan to only have one impact wrench, always go with the 1/2" drive model. You can always use a 3/8" reducing adapter if necessary. The 1/2" Ryobi 18V OnePlus will be able to handle most of the work you described while the 3/8" may not even be able to remove lugnuts on certain vehicles, much less rusty suspension bolts.

If you plan to only have one impact wrench, always go with the 1/2" drive model. You can always use a 3/8" reducing adapter if necessary. The 1/2" Ryobi 18V OnePlus will be able to handle most of the work you described while the 3/8" may not even be able to remove lugnuts on certain vehicles, much less rusty suspension bolts.
Thanks!

I highly suggest you consider the size of the tool; I am not sure Ryobi makes a smaller 1/2" impact. You will get far more use out of a mini impact and will be disappointed when a bigger impact cannot fit for that brake job, etc.

Good luck!

My Ryobi 1/2 didn't have the ass to remove the rotor hold down bolt on my Touareg, so that was a bummer. It just made noise and broke bits.

Dad's DeWalt zapped then right out.

My M12 3/8 right angle feels like it has more juice than that Ryobi 1/2.
?? Are you certain you aren't talking about a 1/4" impact driver? Bits? I am just wondering how it doesn't make enough torque to remove the fastener yet does make enough to break the bits and how that differs using same bits on a different brand tool.

There's no question that a higher priced, contractor grade tool of the same generation is usually going to be more powerful, especially from same manufacturer, TTI isn't looking to outperform their Milwaukee line with their less expensive Ryobi line.

Last edited:
My Ryobi 1/2 didn't have the ass to remove the rotor hold down bolt on my Touareg, so that was a bummer. It just made noise and broke bits.

Dad's DeWalt zapped then right out.

My M12 3/8 right angle feels like it has more juice than that Ryobi 1/2.
They’ve come out with a new 1/2” high torque brushless model recently. Seem to be much improved reviews over the previous models they had.

I wouldn't get the 3/8" as my first impact wrench. 1/2" is the best first size to own.

I have Ryobi's P261, has done everything I needed on passenger vehicles including 200 ft lb axle nuts, but never tried to use it on a crankshaft.

If buying today, I'd instead get their more powerful PBLIW01 or at least the P262.

Last edited:
I've seen the p262 Ryobi in action and trust me, it will do most anything you want. Ok so it won't do bulldozer equipment, but it wasn't meant to! Plus the bigger model (above the p262, the one with 1100ft/lbs removal torque) is too long to get into tight spots. The P262 (at 600ft/lbs removal torque) also has auto mode which sense how much torque you need to remove a bolt/nut! It will ramp up the speed and impacts because the first, slower speed it tries isn't moving the nut/bolt! When it does spin it free it will slow down the speed and stop impacting. very cool..

so this idea that the p262 cannot loosen lug nuts or suspension bolts is not true at all.. works great! I'd say go with the p262 and thank me later! :cool:

I've got the P261 three speed and it is adequate for the home shadetree mechanic. It's main use here has been lug nut removal and it works ok for nuts put on a BMW with 105 lbs ft torque. Just might not be instantaneous/takes a few seconds.
It has also removed nuts and bolts on suspension, saving me trying to use long breaker bars under the vehicles.
Good enough I gave away all but my 1/4" hand impact tools.
Sign me; Ryobi Fan.

I've got the P261 three speed and it is adequate for the home shadetree mechanic.
That's the one I have (I just went and looked) and I disagree.

?? Are you certain you aren't talking about a 1/4" impact driver? Bits? I am just wondering how it doesn't make enough torque to remove the fastener yet does make enough to break the bits and how that differs using same bits on a different brand tool.

There's no question that a higher priced, contractor grade tool of the same generation is usually going to be more powerful, especially from same manufacturer, TTI isn't looking to outperform their Milwaukee line with their less expensive Ryobi line.
I know what I have, and yes.

I was using my cheapy torx bits from Harbor Freight. The Ryobi didn't hit hard enough to break the fastener loose. It just work hardened the bit until it snapped. Dad's DeWalt 20V hit hard enough (with the same bits, he brought his set) and the screw came right out.

The Ryobi wouldn't remove the Touareg's TTY caliper bolts either without a ton of hammering. Again the DeWalt zipped them right off.

I was using my cheapy torx bits from Harbor Freight. The Ryobi didn't hit hard enough to break the fastener loose. It just work hardened the bit until it snapped. Dad's DeWalt 20V hit hard enough (with the same bits, he brought his set) and the screw came right out.

The Ryobi wouldn't remove the Touareg's TTY caliper bolts either without a ton of hammering. Again the DeWalt zipped them right off.
You have the least powerful older version.

Not sure if you got a bad tool or just have weak batteries but I've had no problem with my P261 on anything up to and including 200 ft lbs. I started out using it with the included P108 battery but otherwise I use some PBP005, also 4Ah. I don't have any Ryobi batteries smaller than 4Ah, never bought their kits that had those.

Home Depot happens to have a good deal on those PBP005 right now, 2 batteries and a charger for $99 then your choice of free tool among what's offered:

Unfortunately for the OP, the P262 is not among them, only impact wrench offered is the 3/8".

I have a lot of Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools. And a few Ryobi cordless tools. Because Milwaukee did not have what I needed.

Ryobi is definitely a notch or two below Milwaukee M18 as far a tool quality.

And I gone through several aftermarket batteries and one Ryobi OEM. But not one Milwaukee M18 battery.

Good to know about HF bits. Work hardened the bits so quickly- must have used them frequently in the past? Were they intended for impact use?

Back