I'm on AT&T now (came from Verizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may have seen some of my other threads asking for cellular advice. Last week Thursday, I went ahead and hung up my Verizon Wireless hat. I had a well used, but in great shape, CDMA 8GB White iPhone 4 that I put back in it's original packaging and gently set in the closet.

Thursday, I went to the Apple Store and bought an 64GB iPhone 5S in Black for AT&T. I forgot that my Mom still had AT&T service so I went on her FamilyTalk Plan. Her plan is 700 minutes per month, but she has accrued over 6,100 Rollover minutes (and is lucky to use 100 minutes per month). Her plan also has Unlimited Mobile to Mobile and Free Nights and Weekends and Unlimited Texting. I signed up for the DataPro 3GB data plan.

Going on a FamilyTalk Plan is much more reasonable when dividing it 3-4 ways versus being on an individual plan.

Now the best part, coverage. I actually get signal when at work! I don't have to walk out to my car to make a call or concern myself when I'm expecting a call. The phone WORKS! LTE is phonemically quick. I did a SpeedTest and got 47 down and 10.5 up!

Overall I'm estatic!

I have T-Mobil, the service isnt great but it gets the job done, plus I pay only $30, thats an individual plan. Unlimited web and text and 100 minutes per month...I rarely use 100 minutes per month.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Some of you may have seen some of my other threads asking for cellular advice. Last week Thursday, I went ahead and hung up my Verizon Wireless hat. I had a well used, but in great shape, CDMA 8GB White iPhone 4 that I put back in it's original packaging and gently set in the closet.

Thursday, I went to the Apple Store and bought an 64GB iPhone 5S in Black for AT&T. I forgot that my Mom still had AT&T service so I went on her FamilyTalk Plan. Her plan is 700 minutes per month, but she has accrued over 6,100 Rollover minutes (and is lucky to use 100 minutes per month). Her plan also has Unlimited Mobile to Mobile and Free Nights and Weekends and Unlimited Texting. I signed up for the DataPro 3GB data plan.

Going on a FamilyTalk Plan is much more reasonable when dividing it 3-4 ways versus being on an individual plan.

Now the best part, coverage. I actually get signal when at work! I don't have to walk out to my car to make a call or concern myself when I'm expecting a call. The phone WORKS! LTE is phonemically quick. I did a SpeedTest and got 47 down and 10.5 up!

Overall I'm estatic!

Congratulations !!!! Carriers have spent a lot of money on the LTE network and the service shows.

Cheers
B

Good job man! I've had AT&T since 2000 and get excellent cellular service. Gotta love LTE and not to mention data during calls without needing Wi-Fi.

I was with verizon and I was very happy with their coverageand internet speedbut the bill was putting me in the poor house. I switch to metro pcs. And the bill is 1/2 of Verizon's but the internet speed is slower than my dial up at home and there is no coverage. I want to Arizona two weeks ago and my phone was useless once out of Barstow I had no coverage for the rest of the daY. Lotta good that is

Last edited:
yeah as for the bill Verizon anything is out for me.. They screwed me when they were the only ones in town now i have a choice i stay away ...do they have great coverage yes but they do everything to squeeze every dollar out of you at&t is more reasonable if you know how to deal with them.. I think here in nnj they both have ok service net 10 may be good also

I threw verizon to the curb last september.

average bill for 1 smartphone and 1 reg phone was about 150$
and was going up to 164$ the month after dropped them.

Now I have ting they use sprint's towers

usual bill is 43$ for 2 smartphones.

Ting can be very cheap if you dont use too much data.. and most of mine is on wifi at home so it works out.

if you need alot more data..

republic wireless 25$/mo unlimited(3g, 4g=40$) on sprint towers is a better deal per phone

I've had ATT since 2003.

Their prices are little bit higher and the rollover helps, but they expire after a year. Only reason why I stayed has been unlimited data plan I had from back in the day.

If you are affiliated with a university( student or staff) , ask them to give you the 18% discount. It really adds up. I'd go as far as enroll in community college, dont take any classes and use that email to sign up for the discount.

In CA one is able to do this without paying a dime. Not sure about your area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat

Overall I'm estatic!

We cut our cell bills in half switching from AT-T to Virgin Mobile. Wife has unlimited for $35 per month. She paid AT-T almost double-that for the same coverage.

My bill was cut around 65% Went from $50 per month to $20 with 400 minutes.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I have T-Mobil, the service isnt great but it gets the job done, plus I pay only $30, thats an individual plan. Unlimited web and text and 100 minutes per month...I rarely use 100 minutes per month.

Where can this $30 T-Mobile plan that I keep hearing about be found? The cheapest data plan on their website is $50/month.

Congrats on the better signal. Now for my area? AT&T signals is the pits here.
Tried to combine all services some years back and have decided for myself that AT&T is evil.

Just try and correct a billing mistake with them.

AT&T has good signal in many places around here and around the areas I've traveled...up to Chicago and down thru Florida.

However, their prices are too high for my blood. I'm tired of living like a Kardashian. T-mobile for data & Ting for talk & text. Will save $30-$40/month this route on my phone alone.

Originally Posted By: Canawler
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Where can this $30 T-Mobile plan that I keep hearing about be found? The cheapest data plan on their website is $50/month.

Scroll down this page for details: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

You need a T-mobile SIM to activate online or a phone purchased & activated at Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve

Scroll down this page for details: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

You need a T-mobile SIM to activate online or a phone purchased & activated at Wal-Mart.

Thanks for posting that. I've even been on that page but apparently never scrolled down.
So that's the Walmart Family Mobile plan? I read up on that on some cell phone forum and was told it's only really 3g data, regardless what they say about the "up to 4g" speeds. Is that your experience?

Originally Posted By: Canawler
Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve

Thanks for posting that. I've even been on that page but apparently never scrolled down.
So that's the Walmart Family Mobile plan? I read up on that on some cell phone forum and was told it's only really 3g data, regardless what they say about the "up to 4g" speeds. Is that your experience?

It's not Wal-Mart Family Mobile - that's yet another re-brand of T-Mo service. This is directly through T-Mobile, with Wal-Mart as the exclusive retail outlet for that plan. It gets too confusing sometimes.

I've had this plan for almost 2 years, and was able to choose it when I activated the SIM card online. I don't talk much, so the plan structure is great for me. I don't think I've ever used more than 80 minutes in a month, but unlimited texting and the huge data allowance have been worthwhile. My only complaint is that higher-speed data coverage is a little bit spotty - not as bad as Sprint's native coverage, but not as good as AT&T or Verizon.
My Nexus 4 won't pick up the frequency of LTE signals, and that might make a difference.

I just went from AT&T to Verizon. I didn't really have any complaints with AT&T, I just wanted to get out of my mom's phone plan and get onto my fiancee's plan. My fiancee has Verizon and refuses to switch to anyone else because they supposedly have the best coverage. I don't know if that's true, but whatever. Verizon has been working fine for me so far, and I'm paying the same amount I was before with AT&T.

If you have a GSM phone and don't travel oversees much, look at at H2O Wireless, they use AT&T network at half of the cost. Or search for all prepaid site. Or go to Howard and look at MVNO discussions.
All Prepaid also has a lot of CDMA providers listed.

H2O SIM cards can be found on Amazon for a penny, and you can get a T-Mob SIM for free as well - found the link at Howards. I don't know why would I stuck with T-Mob, if you can have AT&T at lower cost via an MVNO. Currently, coverage competition is between V and A, depends on the area, e.g Western Montana is covered by both fine, but the Eastern part of the state is better serviced by A. The Japanese owner of Sprint is investing big time on upgrades and coverage expansion, so in a couple of years S could become a player as well. For now, their coverage sucks even compared to Cricket. And Cricket is acquiring AiO Wirelss right now, and that's AT&T network. So, it is hard to tell sometimes in this dynamic environment. This industry is reaching a saturation point, so watch out for deals. Verizon has a lot more competition, and will have even more in the future

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back