Ignition Coil Frustration

I am looking for a Ignition Coil for a 1995 Honda Accord LX. The OEM Coil is stamped TEC-19A, does FORECAST Central Ignition make this coil for Honda? If so is the coil sold by Honda for $200 made in China? The older P/N TEC-18A is stamped Japan on the casing. Did Honda switch to China for this part? I can get a China made coil for $20-25 all day long.

I am waiting for a Facet brand coil to arrive from NAPA, nobody at NAPA was able to tell me where it is made.

Yes I went to my local junk yard, all the ones that I pulled had cracks!

TEC is an OE supplier to HONDA going back as-far-as I can remember. I've had Honda's that have had TEC ignition systems and other which had HITACHI.
Who makes TEC? I think they are their own company although they may have been bought out by another company since then...IDK!

There seems to be a lot of coils available for that car I am not understanding the problem. What am I missing?
I think that there are so many members such as myself who don’t like the quality/lack of quality of aftermarket ignition parts. Not only ignition parts but emission parts and suspension parts/wheel bearings etc., as well.

Years ago it was different IMO/IME. However today, aftermarket parts leave a great deal to be desired in areas of quality & longevity, often only lasting months and just being a hit or miss game that many don’t want to play and leaving the only option for many to spend the extra money OE Parts.
I hope this explains and answers your question.

I think that there are so many members such as myself who don’t like the quality/lack of quality of aftermarket ignition parts. Not only ignition parts but emission parts and suspension parts/wheel bearings etc., as well.

Years ago it was different IMO/IME. However today, aftermarket parts leave a great deal to be desired in areas of quality & longevity, often only lasting months and just being a hit or miss game that many don’t want to play and leaving the only option for many to spend the extra money OE Parts.
There are NGK, Denso, Hitachi coils for that car for well under the $200 dealer price that going to be fine. Thanks for the tip on using quality parts I usually only go to the cheap low rent economy :poop: section on Rock.

JK

I went with the Honda Coil, I figured if the OEM has lasted this long why not just get another one. I still wonder what assembled in USA actually means.

Attachments

• IMG_20220219_095029318_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20220219_095029318_PORTRAIT.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220219_095039300_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20220219_095039300_PORTRAIT.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220219_095129137_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20220219_095129137_PORTRAIT.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 33
I still wonder what assembled in USA actually means.
Worst case is cheap goods assembled by minimum wage OJT workers in the USA, best case is high quality Japanese goods assembled by highly skilled and well paid workers in the USA and anything in between. Being OE branded probably somewhere in the middle.

"Assembled in USA" was a thing in the 1990s due to import tax laws at the time. It doesn't actually mean much.

I would buy cheap ones and carry a spare coil. They're easy to replace at the side of the road. Worn cap and rotor or failing wires increases the firing voltage which puts stress on the coil. Never crank or run the engine without all the secondary parts in place (or the primary wires disconnected), firing into an open circuit is prone to blow the coil.

I went with the Honda Coil, I figured if the OEM has lasted this long why not just get another one. I still wonder what assembled in USA actually means.

hey Zmelli.. It's like what others said but what I'd like to add is that TEC part is (most likely based on the evidence I've seen) japanese made. Honda (because of taxes, laws, etc) has it imported here (on a big pallet, etc..) and then has workers put the ignition coil in the bubble wrap and into a box! Seriously! See? "Assembled in USA", not lying, it was assembled into a box. How do I know this? I have been buying a lot of genuine Honda parts as I restore my old 96 Civic. I've seen a lot of parts stamped "made in japan" on the part but the "assembled in USA" on the box. With that type of evidence it's easy to figure it out.

Here's the thing, if you don't l like Chinese aftermarket then go to the dealership and buy the dealership parts. Sure it may be Chinese but they test enough of it to know they have all the corner cases covered. You know, they make cars in China so they also need OEM manufacturer in China too.

It won't be cheap but it will be tested better than aftermarket US made stuff from unknown manufacturer.

Personally for a car that old I think just get Denso, TEC, Hitachi would be good enough, even if they are Chinese (don't get it from amazon as they mix the inventory so you can't tell who is fake and who is genuine, I'd get it from rockauto).

Back