If you had a brand new car and wanted to use Penn syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you wait till the first OCI at say 5k miles .....change it now with 700 miles on the engine or wait to say 2k miles before changing to full syn?
I have heard the Hyundai user QS in their new cars now.....Honda uses Penn? .....Ford uses their on .....Mopar stuff I have no idea. or Chevy......

When I bought my Tacoma brand new, I went with PUP 5W30 at the first 5K OCI. Been on that same oil ever since.

You can use it as soon as you like. Many engines roll off the assembly line and are filled with synthetic oil, before anyone even drives the vehicle.

Originally Posted by gmh101357
Would you wait till the first OCI at say 5k miles .....change it now with 700 miles on the engine or wait to say 2k miles before changing to full syn?
I have heard the Hyundai user QS in their new cars now.....Honda uses Penn? .....Ford uses their on .....Mopar stuff I have no idea. or Chevy......

My new Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 will go six months or 5K, whichever comes first. The dealer is giving me a free 1st Oil Change.
At 10K or another six months, whichever comes first, I will then change the oil myself. Being these 2.4 engines are direct inject, I plan to change every 5K/6 months. The oil could very-well be what the dealer uses (Quaker State)..... but mine might be a 50-50 blend of conventional and synthetic.

Don't know for sure yet. I started a new thread and asking for suggestions. I may even decide on a low-sap synthetic like Valvoline Modern Engine. The oil weight I've chosen will likely be 5W30 year-round.

My 02 TL has been on syth right from its first OCI at 4700km or 5 months.
The dealer offered free first OCI and paid for synth upgrade.. it was Valvoline, it didnt stay in for very long.. LOL
Early on its seen, RP, RL, GC [way too thick..] M1[ for 5 years or so..], then the CdnTire brand, then its been on PP since 2012.

Engine looked fantastic when the valve covers came off for valve adjustments maintenance last year.

So my experience with synth right from the -get go- has has no ill effects.

most of the so called synthetic oils are gas to liquid group 3 and do not have the break in problems of group 4 synthetics. They are very good oils. So unless you are buying a boutique ester or PAO oil you will be fine. QS is Gas to liquid, and your engine will break in just fine. You have an oil filter, leave in the factory fill for 5K miles, then use QS and a good filter without worry. There is no advantage in pretending it is a model T without filter and changing the oil real early.

Rod

You will not go wrong if you follow the manufactures recommendation. However; If I was going to follow a 5,000 mile oil chage interval, then I might do the first oil change at 2,500 and then at 5000with a new filter and 5000 ever after. I don't believe it dumping the first fill at some low mileage like we did in the 50s and 60s. I also use Pennzoil Platinum and have had many oil analysis that demonstrate that it is a great oil. Ed

You will get a variety of answers on this. Do what makes you feel better.

I have always changed out my factory fill around the 1000 mile mark. The next change puts it on the schedule I have chosen, ie 5000 miles.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
most of the so called synthetic oils are gas to liquid group 3 and do not have the break in problems of group 4 synthetics. They are very good oils. So unless you are buying a boutique ester or PAO oil you will be fine. QS is Gas to liquid, and your engine will break in just fine. You have an oil filter, leave in the factory fill for 5K miles, then use QS and a good filter without worry. There is no advantage in pretending it is a model T without filter and changing the oil real early.

Rod

SOPUS and Quaker State have stated on several occasions in the past on BITOG that QS synthetics do not use GTL basestock. Do you have info to the contrary? A link would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back