If synthetic 5w40 protects hot like it should

Status
Not open for further replies.
A_Harman,

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
... So CI4+ has the most anti-wear additive, and higher TBN. The later stuff is formulated to protect after-treatment systems, which my truck does not have.

API indications on the bottles aside, I ran VOAs of Rotella T6 and Mobil 1 TDT in mid-2010.

Rotella had more anti-wear additives (at least to the extent they show up in a VOA) and a higher starting TBN, although I think many forum participants would call it within the range of batch variation and/or lab tolerances expected from low-cost analysis.

FWIW,
Alan

Oddly enough, I did look at the VOA's that you posted last year, and was surprised to see such a difference in P content between the two. Blackstone has a bit of a reputation for being inconsistent, and usually low, on their zddp readings. The Mobil specification for P is 1100ppm. Unfortunately Shell doesn't list P on their data sheet, which is why I did not select it.

The TBN readings aren't far enough apart to get me excited.

The oil I was using before was Premium Blue Classic, which had 1468P, 148B, 112Mo and 11.6 TBN. Compared to this, both RT6 and M1 TDT look weak.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Oddly enough, I did look at the VOA's that you posted last year, and was surprised to see such a difference in P content between the two. Blackstone has a bit of a reputation for being inconsistent, and usually low, on their zddp readings. The Mobil specification for P is 1100ppm. Unfortunately Shell doesn't list P on their data sheet, which is why I did not select it.

The TBN readings aren't far enough apart to get me excited.

The oil I was using before was Premium Blue Classic, which had 1468P, 148B, 112Mo and 11.6 TBN. Compared to this, both RT6 and M1 TDT look weak.

If you want a CI-4+ oil, buy a CI-4+ oil... there are a few out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back