If synthetic 5w40 protects hot like it should

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: dparm
Rotella T6 used to be 4.2. I doubt they've significantly changed it.

If it's 4.2, that would make it significantly better than the M1 TDT I'm currently using. A lot of people go ga-ga over T6, but the rest of the specs don't seem to make it much better than TDT. RL 5w40 really impresses me, but I need to get over my phobia of having to make a 120-mile round trip to buy it.

Since my truck is a 2001, I'm trying to avoid putting CJ4-only oils in it. I look for the CI4+ notation in the API service symbol. M1 TDT has that, and at $21/gallon, it's a good deal. Other factors that are pushing me to avoid CJ4 oils are the High-performance tune that I am running, and my occasional use of WMO in the fuel, up to 6%. Both of these push the requirements for high TBN.

Where are you finding 3 or 4 year old oil at? (CI-4+ TDT)

I'm not. I'm looking at the API Donut on the back of the bottle. M1 TDT has the CI4+ notation in the lower portion of the Donut. RT6 doesn't. I just checked a bottle when I was at the parts store on saturday. For me, it makes it more likely that TDT meets some requirements that RT6 may not.

If it's 4.2, that would make it significantly better than the M1 TDT I'm currently using. A lot of people go ga-ga over T6, but the rest of the specs don't seem to make it much better than TDT. RL 5w40 really impresses me, but I need to get over my phobia of having to make a 120-mile round trip to buy it.

Since my truck is a 2001, I'm trying to avoid putting CJ4-only oils in it. I look for the CI4+ notation in the API service symbol. M1 TDT has that, and at $21/gallon, it's a good deal. Other factors that are pushing me to avoid CJ4 oils are the High-performance tune that I am running, and my occasional use of WMO in the fuel, up to 6%. Both of these push the requirements for high TBN.

Where are you finding 3 or 4 year old oil at? (CI-4+ TDT)

I'm not. I'm looking at the API Donut on the back of the bottle. M1 TDT has the CI4+ notation in the lower portion of the Donut. RT6 doesn't. I just checked a bottle when I was at the parts store on saturday. For me, it makes it more likely that TDT meets some requirements that RT6 may not.

They both meet CJ-4.

As far as what specs they meet, that can be found on their PDSs.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site.../t6_detail.html

They both meet CJ-4. As far as what specs they meet said:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx[/URL]

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site.../t6_detail.html

I know they meet CJ4, but that doesn't make them better for pre-2007 engines. I think CI4+ is the pinnacle for diesel motor oil specifications. CI4+ was introduced in response to engine problems resulting from the advent of cooled EGR systems in 2003, where they found that CI4 didn't sufficiently protect against corrosion and wear. So CI4+ has the most anti-wear additive, and higher TBN. The later stuff is formulated to protect after-treatment systems, which my truck does not have.

I know they meet CJ4, but that doesn't make them better for pre-2007 engines. I think CI4+ is the pinnacle for diesel motor oil specifications. CI4+ was introduced in response to engine problems resulting from the advent of cooled EGR systems in 2003, where they found that CI4 didn't sufficiently protect against corrosion and wear. So CI4+ has the most anti-wear additive, and higher TBN. The later stuff is formulated to protect after-treatment systems, which my truck does not have.

If you want a CI-4+ oil, Amsoil is one of the few out there.

TDT and D1 ESP aren't, T6 isn't, nor is any major xw40.

This might help explain what I'm saying better. TDT is not CI-4+ (nothing made since 2007). You've been running a CJ-4 oil.

Co-Op DMO SL 0W40 is CI4+, TBN 11.2, made in North America. There are a number of CI4+ oils still made: Texas Refinery Corp, etc.

Charlie

Go to an auto parts store that carries both M1 TDT and RT6 and look at the API Donuts. There is a difference between the two. That's all I'm saying. I know that M1 TDT is CJ4 qualified, but the extra endorsement in the API Donut must mean something.

The only AMSOil that is CI4+ qualified is a 15w40, and I wanted a 5w40 for lower viscosity on a cold start.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Co-Op DMO SL 0W40 is CI4+, TBN 11.2, made in North America. There are a number of CI4+ oils still made: Texas Refinery Corp, etc.

Charlie

Where is this oil available? Is it a house brand for Co-Op farm stores? (Nothing against it, but one my constraints is to be able to buy my diesel truck oil at many locations without it turning into a "Quest for the Holy Grail".)

The only AMSOil that is CI4+ qualified is a 15w40, and I wanted a 5w40 for lower viscosity on a cold start.

Amsoil AMO (10w40) and HDD (5w30).

Go to an auto parts store that carries both M1 TDT and RT6 and look at the API Donuts. There is a difference between the two. That's all I'm saying. I know that M1 TDT is CJ4 qualified, but the extra endorsement in the API Donut must mean something.

Negative. Check the PDS links I posted above.

M1 TDT:

API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/ SM/SL/SJ

ACEA E7

Caterpillar ECF-2,ECF-3

T6:
t6specs_and_approvals.gif

http://www.apicj-4.org/faqs.html

Charlie

Where is this oil available? Is it a house brand for Co-Op farm stores? (Nothing against it, but one my constraints is to be able to buy my diesel truck oil at many locations without it turning into a "Quest for the Holy Grail".)

Petro-Canada Duron 5W40 is CI4+:
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...amp;language=en

Charlie

Charlie

Petro-Canada Duron 5W40 is CI4+:
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/resour...amp;language=en

Charlie

PC makes good oils
20.gif

Negative. Check the PDS links I posted above.

M1 TDT:

API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/ SM/SL/SJ

ACEA E7

Caterpillar ECF-2,ECF-3

T6:
t6specs_and_approvals.gif

http://www.apicj-4.org/faqs.html

I'm well aware of all that, but I'm talking about the API Donut, not the list of approvals that the oil manufacturer puts on the bottle.

The PC oils will likely be easier for you to find in the States than will our Co-op oils. The Co-op oils are regional enough in Canada, let alone in the States. I'd be surprised if they were even available in the States at all.

I inquired with PetroCanada and found a source in Michigan about 40 miles from my home. I'll seriously consider it for my next oil change.

Originally Posted By: Ponch
"A Harman" where in michigan do they sell this??

Call them...

Petro-Canada Lubricants USA: +1-888-284-4572

Originally Posted By: Ponch
"A Harman" where in michigan do they sell this??

Here are the two that the lady from PC sent me.

Warner Oil in Coldwater , MI – 800-622-2137 and Michigan Petroleum in Port Huron , MI – 810 982-2811

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back