I want a new phone but the cost has me thinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy last year's model if you want to budget wisely. There is always a big savings buying last year's technology instead of the latest model. Because this is such a mature product there is zero reason to buy the latest model phone because phone models that are 1-2 years old and still being sold have all the capabilities that 99% of folks require.

I have a 'rotary' phone.
Bell, Model 500.
Made in 1968.
Still works great.
But seriously, it's not my only phone, besides the Kitchen, I also have one in the Garage and Basement.

What am I missing out on ? ? ?

As a previously non-smartphone user, I'm honestly, I'm sort of regretting renewing my plan with Verizon and upgrading to a smartphone. Phone was "free" - Galaxy S5 - but I am just not using enough data to warrant the monthly cost. Maybe that will change when my commute changes, or if I switch jobs and can't get wifi at work, but now I'm almost constantly on wifi at work or at home, my billing statement ends in 3 days and I've used .084GB. I probably would have been happy with a less advanced smart phone.

Once my contract is up I'm probably going to pick up something cheap at Pageplus and try out their $29.95/month plan assuming everything is the same as it is today. Granted, in that case I will probably be able to bring my current phone over but I gather I won't miss that much if I "downgrade" the phone.

I too was like you. Had a samsung flip phone for years. Then did what cashmoney did, got an S2 about two years after they came out, relatively cheap. Thought I wouldn't use it much, but it has helped me a lot. Used the calendar apps to keep appointments and important dates, use it as my alarm clock, as my main email service, weather advisor, football scores, text, etc.etc. I don't even wear a watch anymore. I then just got a S5 for 199 cash from Sprint for being a "valued" customer for over 8 years. Look around, there are deals out there, especially in your large metroplex area.

Funny, I'm in exactly the same situation. My Motorola Droid RAZR M is just out of contract with Verizon. I was looking forward to getting a new phone 'just because', until I looked at their website and I realized that I would have to spend a few hundred dollars just to get a better phone than what I already have. So much for a 'free upgrade' every two years with a contract renewal. Forget it. I'll keep this one until it dies on me.

Besides, all I do with mine is take/make a few calls a month, text my wife every now and then, take a few pics, check the weather and look at maps. Pretty much any phone can do that. I'd love a Droid Turbo, but... why? As it is I'm already second guessing the $80/month I spend for the service.

Maybe this would be a good time to play with rooting and reloading it. I don't need ANY of the [censored] that is installed on it so maybe that's a good way to freshen it up.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
My Motorola Droid RAZR M is just out of contract with Verizon.

Mine is, too.

My problem is that I can't find a new phone that is as small as the Razr M. All the new stuff seems notably larger, which I don't care for. So for now I'm just going month-to-month and enjoying the $15 discount off my monthly bill. I'll wait until something that meets my needs eventually gets released.

You're not out of touch. My last phone was a Google Nexus 4 that I bought for $250 just before they introduced the Nexus 5, and it lasted 14 months. I now use a Nokia Lumia 635 that I bought off contract for $45 on Black Friday. It's Windows Phone 8.1, and I don't miss the Android experience at all. Plus, at $45, I won't be disappointed if the phone takes a dump in a year. I'll use it until it breaks, and then buy another.

I have AT&T prepaid monthly service for $40.50 ($45 plan with a 10% discount code at callingmart.com). Unlimited talk & text, plus 1 GB of data is more than enough for me.

On the other hand, my ex-wife bought our 18-year-old daughter an iPhone 6, and pays $25 a month just for the phone.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So for now I'm just going month-to-month and enjoying the $15 discount off my monthly bill.

With Verizon? I'll have to see if/how I can get that.

Yes. When my 2-year contract was up, Verizon just sent me an email and told me I can either renew for another 2 years and get a new device at a discount or just continue month-to-month and get $15 off every bill. Possibly this varies depending on the specific plan that you're on.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: JGmazda

My boss showed me his Windows phone and I was immediate impressed by its simplicity and functions. Best part of all?

Free!!! Went with Cricket and they had (Still have I believe) rebate attached. I'm 100% satisfied and have zero complaints.

Why are you keeping the brand name and model a secret from us?

Sorry, I didn't want my post to come-off like I was pushing a particular brand. I have a Lumina 635 running Windows 8.1.

Cricket is now owned by AT&T and I pay $35 a month unlimited with 2.5 gigs. (Which I barely use!)

Honestly, I'm not a "New phone every year" person, but I haven't been this happy about a purchase in years.

It's been years since I've had a new phone and this Windows phone far exceeds my expectations. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Originally Posted By: JGmazda
Don't take this wrong way, but...

Spending $600 on a phone is ridiculous.

No offense taken. This purpose of this thread is more so a temperature check to ensure my sanity is still in check.

Historically, I am a "free with 2 year contract" kinda guy, but the brand I'm using now has proven to be durable and I want to stick with that brand, but my carrier doesn't carry that brand anymore.

Cool. I just think it's a never-ending cycle of consumerism... Do yourself a favor though and drop into a Cricket store. Check the Windows phone out... I couldn't pass-up a deal like that... No contract and I believe they will take your trade-in etc.

Let us know what happens.

All members of my family have dumb phone with Verizon, the family plan for 4 with unlimited text and 700 min is $110/mo.

In about 7-8 months when the current contract expired I think we will switch to Republic Wireless. I think they have a $20-25/mo plan with some data and their smart phones are mostly Motorola Moto's for less than $200-300.

Your sanity is intact. I do as others have recommended in that I buy the previous model about 6 months after the newest model comes out. The savings are realistic and I always buy new and unlocked from ebay.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Is it bad I want to go back to a flip phone?

Darn near everything is touch screen.....

I still use a flip, long battery life( i have a bigger battery and back so 2 weeks on one charge) and its so much easier to carry around.( I don't text)

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
All members of my family have dumb phone with Verizon, the family plan for 4 with unlimited text and 700 min is $110/mo.

In about 7-8 months when the current contract expired I think we will switch to Republic Wireless. I think they have a $20-25/mo plan with some data and their smart phones are mostly Motorola Moto's for less than $200-300.

$110/month for 4 dumb phones is too expensive. I have republic wireless 9.99/month plan for my moto x which is unlimited cellular/texts and wifi for data. my wife has ringplus nexus 5, 9.99 dollars a month the bella plan 400 minutes, 400 texts, 300 mb data. 2 cents per mb data overages. both are on sprint networks. for two people, I'm paying less than 25 dollars per month for smart phones. We got the moto x and nexus 5 when they first came out. The downside, we paid for the phones upfront, 750 bucks for both phones. we have had this service for over a year now with no issues.

Last edited:
Where phones are concerned, I like to think in terms of "how do I downgrade?" Generally, the AT&Ts, Verizons, etc. of the world don't make sense for my phone usage. I'd hold on to your phone for as long as it makes sense to you and your situation. I don't need full smart phone capability as my computer is my computer and smart phones are, in my usage, generally gadgetty flatulence that's accessed once in a great while. I would buy a better computer than spend $500 for a phone. I'm a fan of companies like Republic and TracFone generally because it's more akin to what's offered in other parts of the world instead of the corporate cluster**** that passes for getting a phone here. Next stop they'll be using the word 'Luddite" to describe someone who doesn't have an unlimited talk/text plan that costs $159.00/month. [censored] Luddites...

With regards to monthly costs, I go through my options about every 3 months to ensure that I have the best plan possible based on my usage. I don't see how people can spend over $100 a month on a cell phone unless they don't have any access to the internet/wifi, which would be strange in this day and age.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

$110/month for 4 dumb phones is too expensive. I have republic wireless 9.99/month plan for my moto x which is unlimited cellular/texts and wifi for data. my wife has ringplus nexus 5, 9.99 dollars a month the bella plan 400 minutes, 400 texts, 300 mb data. 2 cents per mb data overages. both are on sprint networks. for two people, I'm paying less than 25 dollars per month for smart phones. We got the moto x and nexus 5 when they first came out. The downside, we paid for the phones upfront, 750 bucks for both phones. we have had this service for over a year now with no issues.

I agree. It is too expensive. That why I will switch to Republic Wireless when current 2-year plan will expired before the end of this year.

Small problem with Republic Wireless is I have to pay for the phones upfront so the total cost of 4 phones can be several hundreds if not a thousand. But this amount can be recouped in about a year or two.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

I am about ready to dump Sprint.

I'm in a truck with two other hunters up-north Michigan. We all decide to call home and report-in to the wives.
Buddy on the left has Verizon. Buddy on the right has ATT. Both of these guys spoke to their wives and I couldn't get a signal on my Sprint network. We all live a few miles apart too.

This happened a couple months earlier with my two grown children in mid-Michigan. They talked to my wife at home and I couldn't. They both have Verizon.

I talked to the natives that live in both places of mid and upper Michigan. It's the Sprint service that's very limited in range. So before I take my next trip away from the Detroit Metro region, I'm getting a new cell phone service provider, even if it costs me another $15 per month.

Sprint is fine, but don;t veer to far away from a major city. If you do, then you aren't calling home to check-in with the wife.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back