i think i over fill the oil in 10'tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I decided to change my Brother's Oil on his 2010 Tahoe LTZ With Royal Purple 5w30 with A Wix Filter. While I was filling up the oil a random Neighbor on his Hipster bike Yelled at me Saying I cant change My oil in my apt!. Sure enough I ended up emptying the whole bottle when he distracted me. so now it has 6.8 Qt's I did not see any white burn off smoke am I okay? or should I drain some out?

P.S. What anger's me is Maintenance people never give me [censored] about me changing my oil in my bmw or tundra outside my garage.Then again I always offer them food and stuff when they come over to change light bulb's and the ac filter.

Probably OK. If I remember correctly, the capacity is 6 qts. So, it's <1 qt. over. It's a late-model GM V8, so it'll burn that off btwn now and the next OC anyway.

If its less than 1 quart over filled i wouldn't worry about it.

You will make a big mess trying to drain just a little out. You could pull the filter and drain whats in it, but then you will get a dry start.

If he had a Fumoto valve it would be easy to drain a half a quart.

Why are you using Royal Purple anyways? That stuffs like 10 a quart way overpriced unless you got a clearance sale.

Originally Posted By: JohnathanDm
While I was filling up the oil a random Neighbor on his Hipster bike Yelled at me Saying I cant change My oil in my apt!.

Does your lease allow you to change oil at your apartment?

Leaf blower down the fill tube? Thats an awful idea. Hes going to introduce all kinds of un filter air right into the oil crankcase. Those things are usually pretty filthy too. Horrible idea. Maybe if he was using a mityvac down the fill tube that would be a good idea.

If you're going to change oil on your parking stall, why not get an oil extractor. No mess and you don't have to get under the car that often unless your oil filter is under the car. In that case, get a long life oil filter and change every 2 OCI.

Your filter is on the bottom of the engine and is mounted vertically correct? Just empty the filter if you are worried.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
I'd drain a little out.

I'd rather have .8 under than over.

Crack the drainplug and have a beer while watching.

This ^^ it's not brain surgery

I may be over stating the simple things here...but did you check the dipstick or just going by the capacities listed in the manual ? If the dipstick is just showing about a half qt or so over...don't sweat it. If your going by capacity listing...check the dipstick, that's what it is for
smile.gif
Most manuals list the capacities as "approximate" and in that little section where it tells us how to check the oil and fill if necessary, it says use the dipstick. Personally, have never used the listed capacity method, but I do not want to start that debate here...it's almost as bad as "best oil" threads...:)

Use the Owner's Manual oil capacity as a GENERAL GUIDE and then fine-tune things with the dipstick.

Dipstick should take precedence over the listed capacity which is always approximate.

I always put 7 qts in my '07 Tahoe. 6.5 qts registered full on the dipstick,but I hate partial qts laying around.

I never had an issue in over 100K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back